First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Anonimo

Jan 8, 2006, 12:29 AM

Post #1 of 44 (11983 views)

Shortcut

Mexican Soups-Your Favorites

Can't Post | Private Reply
MazDee wrote:

For a start, Anomino could post a recipe for his crema de cilantro!

There are so many wonderful Mexican soups, it's difficult to know where to begin. Maybe we can start by telling our favorites, from 1 to 5. I want to exclude pozoles and menudos from this discussion, because they are in a class by themselves
I'll start off with my favorites, in no particular order:

1. Sopa de ajo

2. Caldo Tlalpeño (an unusually "loaded" version.

Continued below, to avoid jamming this with images)

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

Anonimo

Jan 8, 2006, 12:48 AM

Post #2 of 44 (11982 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Mexican Soups-Your Favorites

More:
http://www.mexicodesconocido.com.mx/...mia/sopa_tarasca.jpg
3. Sopa Tarasca (especially made with bean puree). I don't have a photo of my own for this.

4. Caldo de Mariscos, which might not qualify as a soup, exactly, due to its high content of delicious sea-morsels.

One more, and then I'll stop for now.

Mole de Olla, another hearty, picante, soup/stew that when eaten, will set your world alright.

Saludos,
Anonimo

sfmacaws

Jan 8, 2006, 7:25 AM

Post #3 of 44 (11971 views)

Shortcut

I don't have pictures but my favs would include

1. sopa de limón
2. sopa de pan
3. caldo Xachil - probably spelled that wrong, don't have time to check.
4. sopa de frijoles negras
5. crema de elote
6. crema de poblano

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

esperanza

Jan 8, 2006, 7:35 AM

Post #4 of 44 (11969 views)

Shortcut

Up until now I haven't photographed soups, but here's my list (in no particular order):

1. Atápakua de epazote con cilantro
2. Atole de grano
3. Crema de berros con chile poblano
4. Caldo de pollo
5. Cocido
6. Sopa Tarasca estilo Don Rafa
7. Caldo Tlalpeño
8. Sopa de Mariscos
9. Sopa de Lima estilo Casa Lamm

Oops, you said five.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jan 8, 2006, 7:36 AM)

Esteban

Jan 8, 2006, 8:18 AM

Post #5 of 44 (11960 views)

Shortcut

I'm not sure whether you'd call it a soup or not but Campechana is a favorite here in Mazatlan. It's a spicey tomato/shrimp based broth loaded with shrimp, scallops, clams, octopus, squid and sea snails. It is usually served in what I'd consider an old fashioned malt glass. The bigger ones are served in those bulbous thick glasses that are commonly used for margaritas. At first, you think it's not worth the money, but soon you realize there is so much rich food in those seemingly small portions, your eyes are bigger than your stomach.

da-vid

Jan 8, 2006, 8:58 AM

Post #6 of 44 (11954 views)

Shortcut

Now this thread is for me. My wife and I love soups. Our favorites are:

1. Sopa Tortilla
2. Sopa Tarasca
3. Sopa Chinchayote
4. Sopa de Mariscos
5. Crema de Poblano

Some of the listed soups listed by other posters are new to me, all we need to do now is exchange recipes.
David
Nice pictures Anonimo

(This post was edited by da-vid on Jan 8, 2006, 11:35 AM)

Anonimo

Jan 8, 2006, 10:11 AM

Post #7 of 44 (11943 views)

Shortcut

Re: [da-vid] Mexican Soups-Your Favorites

3. Sopa Chinchayte

Ok; I'll bite (slurp?); what is it?
Maybe we can start describing some of the lesser known soups, of which ESPERANZA seems to have the edge at the moment.
By the way, I am running a parallel OP on egullet.org, to get the most well-rounded perspective.

Saludos,
Anonimo

da-vid

Jan 8, 2006, 10:24 AM

Post #8 of 44 (11940 views)

Shortcut

It is a vegetable, the root of the chayote. It is a brown tuber with white flesh. It is rather expensive in the mercados since the chayote plant must be dug-up to get the root. My wife says it costs about 40 pesos per kilo, it's worth it for the wonderful flavor.
David

da-vid

Jan 8, 2006, 10:26 AM

Post #9 of 44 (11937 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Mexican Soups-Your Favorites

OK, Esperanza, just what is atapakua?
David

TlxcalaClaudia

Jan 8, 2006, 10:34 AM

Post #10 of 44 (11936 views)

Shortcut

Neat thread Anonimo. I have nothing to add and see I am missing out on something great while NOB. What are the large chunks floating in the ajo soup? Fish?

sfmacaws, The Limon soup sounds interesting...can you tell us what was in yours?

For now, I am going to "steal" from you all and look up these soup names for the recipes. Feel free to post your recipes if you want....an interested reader here.

Claudine

MazDee

Jan 8, 2006, 11:31 AM

Post #11 of 44 (11925 views)

Shortcut

Tarascan bean soup
Tortilla soup
Crema de betabel
Sopa de mariscos
Crema del elote

There are so many soups listed by you and others that I have not tried. I am looking forward to seeing some recipes. As for the crema de betabel (beet) listed above, I do not know if it is Mexican at all, but it may be my favorite soup in Mazatlan, as prepared by Ambrosia vegetarian restaurant. And it is so beautiful, deep pink with a swirl of crema. Yum.

esperanza

Jan 8, 2006, 11:54 AM

Post #12 of 44 (11918 views)

Shortcut

Re: [da-vid] Mexican Soups-Your Favorites

The atápakuas are a whole genre of Purhépecha (indigenous peoples of Michoacán) soups and stews. Conaculta published a cookbook of nothing but atápakuas, but unfortunately the one I mentioned isn't in the cookbook.

This particular atápakua is made with chicken broth, fresh epazote, cilantro, chile perón, and a bit of masa to thicken it. It's hotter than the hinges of hell (I've typed that phrase about five times in the last 24 hours--I need a new phrase) but really delicious. I love it and make it fairly frequently.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jan 8, 2006, 11:54 AM)

TlxcalaClaudia

Jan 8, 2006, 2:52 PM

Post #13 of 44 (11901 views)

Shortcut

Anonimo-
I did a search for sopa de ajo and made an experiment of ingredients from 3 googled recipes. I just knew no one would want it... so today was a perfect day to make it since the fridge is full of yesterday's leftovers for those not wanting my soup. The food is still in the fridge and my soup pot is almost empty. Even the kids liked it...and that says a lot. I made a paste of roasted tomatoes, onions, cumin, chili powder (I know, how NOB), jalopeno and celery. Other ingredients included carrots, potato chunks, chicken legs and scrambled egg (like egg drop soup). The garlic was roasted and left whole. Whatever it turned out to be looked nothing like yours, but thanks for getting me started on the idea. I think I will try a new soup each day based on what you all posted here. Still waiting for some recipes though (hint, hint).

Claudine

TlxcalaClaudia

Jan 8, 2006, 2:54 PM

Post #14 of 44 (11898 views)

Shortcut

Conaculta published a cookbook of nothing but atápakuas

I want that recipe book. Who is/are Conaculta?

Claudine

Anonimo

Jan 8, 2006, 3:58 PM

Post #15 of 44 (11888 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TlxcalaClaudia] Mexican Soups-Your Favorites

What are the large chunks floating in the ajo soup? Fish?

SLices of toasted baguette with cheese melted on it.

In ref: to your "clean out the fridge soup", I'm sure it tasted good. I do the same on a frequent basis. But if you want Sopa de Ajo, it's really much simpler than that.
Garlic (a whole head), olive oil, chopped tomatoes (optional) ; caldo de pollo, pimentón or chile piquín molido, toasts or large croutons, melting white cheese.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Anonimo

Jan 8, 2006, 4:02 PM

Post #16 of 44 (11886 views)

Shortcut

This particular atápakua is made with chicken broth, fresh epazote, cilantro, chile perón, and a bit of masa to thicken it. It's hotter than the hinges of hell (I've typed that phrase about five times in the last 24 hours--I need a new phrase) but really delicious. I love it and make it fairly frequently.

Do I need to ask you for the recipe? Maybe this time I do need one. Epazote can be extremely strongly medicinal tasting. This atápakua sounds as though it would bring on premature labor, if not cure all maner of colds.
What will it do for baldness? ;-)

Saludos,
Anonimo

TlxcalaClaudia

Jan 8, 2006, 4:04 PM

Post #17 of 44 (11884 views)

Shortcut

Anonimo-
Thanks for posting that. Sounds yummy I like toast in soup. Will try this too.

C

TlxcalaClaudia

Jan 8, 2006, 4:05 PM

Post #18 of 44 (11883 views)

Shortcut

Do I need to ask you for the recipe? (written by Anonimo)

Yes yes, ask! (Written by Claudia).

Anonimo

Jan 8, 2006, 4:17 PM

Post #19 of 44 (11880 views)

Shortcut

Ok: Querida y estimada Esperanza; te suplico dar me la receta para Atápakua de Epazote, Cilantro y Chile, por favor.

Saludos,
Anonimo

song_of_joy

Jan 8, 2006, 6:27 PM

Post #20 of 44 (11872 views)

Shortcut

I tried the garlic soup by Karen Graber (the wonderful MXC food columnist) an issue or so back and it was great. I added more tomatoes than she recommends.

http://www.mexconnected.com/.../puebla/kg1005b.html

Gayla

Jan 8, 2006, 7:58 PM

Post #21 of 44 (11855 views)

Shortcut

Ooooo.................I'll play too :-) (Also in no particular order)

- Sopa de Lentejas
- Crema de Cilantro
- Crema de Flor de Calabacita en las estilo de Pujo en D.F.
(Squash Blossom soup as served at Pujol in D.F. It's served in a double old fashioned glass, the cream of squash blossom, impossibly rich and buttery is in the bottom of the glass, then topped with espuma (foam) of coconut milk and dusted with nutmeg. Kind of the squash blossom soup version of capuccino)
- Cream de Foie Gras as served at Alkimia also in D.F.
(This soup starts with a generous amount of foam of foie gras piped into the bottom of soup plate and then topped with a rich chicken stock)
Sopa de Crema de Elote
Sopa de Milpa
Sopa de Fideos - oh wait, that's a sopa seca, doesnt' count here
Caldo de Res

The Mexican soup kitchen rocks and so many people don't even know about it.

BTW, Anon, I saw your post on eGullet hours before I saw this post and I wondered if it could be you :-). Gosh, I spend too much time on-line.

P.S. Esperanza, I want that receta tambien :-)

(This post was edited by Gayla on Jan 8, 2006, 7:59 PM)

esperanza

Jan 8, 2006, 8:01 PM

Post #22 of 44 (11854 views)

Shortcut

Conaculta is the Consejo Nacional para la Cultura y las Artes.

Find its home page here: http://www.cnca.gob.mx/index_content.html

The cookbooks! There are more than 50 of them, published in paperback and available at any largish museum in Mexico or through the website. They're very inexpensive. I have six and intend to buy a bunch more.

Find the books here: http://www.librosyarte.com.mx/...s.php3?clavetem=0000

They're all in Spanish, although a few are bilingual. The one on atápakuas is bilingual: Spanish and Purhépecha.

The recipe...well, the Purhépecha woman who gave me the recipe gave it to me exactly as I typed it in my earlier post. You know: put in enough epazote, enough chile perón, enough cilantro, and then dissolve a little ball of masa in the chicken broth to thicken it. I've never written the proportions down when I've made it, so you are all on your own to discover how you like it. Epazote and cilantro should be the predominate flavors, with enough heat from the chile perón to make your tongue hang out. You want to blend the herbs and the chile in the blender and then add the blend to the chicken broth. Bring the seasoned broth to a simmer (not a boil). In the blender, blend a bit of the hot broth with enough masa to thicken the pot. Whisk the masa into the rest of the soup to thicken it. The soup should be about the thickness of any crema (soup made of puréed vegetables) and it should be bright green in color.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jan 8, 2006, 8:10 PM)

jennifer rose

Jan 8, 2006, 8:10 PM

Post #23 of 44 (11852 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
The Conaculta cookbooks, not all of them, are often available at Walmart or Comercial Mexicana.

esperanza

Jan 8, 2006, 8:37 PM

Post #24 of 44 (11848 views)

Shortcut

Here's a recipe for Sopa de Lima. It looks like a pretty good rendition.

Yucatecan Sopa de Lima

3 T. vegetable oil
1 onion, coarsely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
½ green pepper, sliced
2 tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. cumin seeds, toasted
6 cups chicken broth/stock
The juice of 2 large limas dulces plus 1 lime (or 2 medium limes, if you can’t find limas dulces), halved, plus remaining juiced citrus shells
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, halved
2 corn tortillas, cut into small strips
Salt to taste
Slices of lima dulce or lime (optional; for garnish)
Avocado slices (optional; for garnish)

Heat 2 T. oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent, about five minutes. Add green pepper, tomato, oregano and toasted cumin seeds and continue cooking about five minutes more.

Add chicken stock, citrus juices and remaining citrus shells to pot and stir to blend. Bring to light boil. Add chicken breasts and turn heat down slightly to occasional simmer. Continue simmering soup about 10-15 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked through. Remove chicken from pot, allow to cool slightly, then shred into small pieces and return to pot.

Heat remaining 1 T. oil in small skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add tortilla strips and fry until lightly golden brown. Remove from heat, drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt to taste.

Serve soup in bowls garnished with fresh citrus slices, avocado, and tortilla strips.

TlxcalaClaudia

Jan 8, 2006, 9:05 PM

Post #25 of 44 (11845 views)

Shortcut

Thank you Esperanza. Sopa de Lima will be tomorrow's experiment. I really do want that cook book, thanks for the links.

Claudine
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4