First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TlxcalaClaudia

Jan 7, 2006, 5:20 PM

Post #26 of 36 (2295 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Miguel Palomares] Gay life in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply

They treat other Mexicans quite differently

If they do, you will never really know how differently. HAH!

Or maybe you will since you ponder things. You and I are too much alike in one area, no matter how much a "Mexican" link we might have aside from our Mexican spouses (papers in your case, blood in mine)...we will never be treated like a true Mexican. My mom (American born Mexican) has a gay sister. Not a single Mexican in the family cares, but you can bet Daddy's white family members had another opinion. Mom ignored them making sure their opinions never came to light to us kids in our childhood. Gay or not, Tia was Tia. There are times it is worth living in the dark (so to keep peace in the family). Hubby's fam will laugh in an innocent manner about ANYONE (fat, bald, gay, too loud, too quiet, too angry, etc...), but always treat everyone respectful (so far). From my perspective, I would agree Mexico just might be gay friendlier than NOB.

This does not surprise me in the slightest. Looking at the behavior of most (yes, most) Mexican men, were I a woman I would go gay too.

Naw. Where is that sense of adventure MP? I looooooooove Mexican men, had to marry me one.

Claudine

(This post was edited by TlxcalaClaudia on Jan 7, 2006, 5:31 PM)

Bear

Jan 7, 2006, 8:54 PM

Post #27 of 36 (2257 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Gay life in Mexico

You have a pretty good handle on the whole thing for a "right wing facist republican". Good post. Bear

(This post was edited by Bear on Jan 7, 2006, 8:56 PM)

sfmacaws

Jan 7, 2006, 9:50 PM

Post #28 of 36 (2247 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bear] Gay life in Mexico

Oh, don't believe everything ol'bubba says. If he really thought that he probably wouldn't have hung out with me as much as he has.

I consider myself a moderate, but being as I spent my career working in San Francisco that counts as 'right wing fascist republican'. Bubba knows that because he was a rich Napa banker with guilt driven psuedo liberal pretensions. You can't tell who anyone is in the Bay Area, we're all a bunch of fakes <g>

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

belgique

Jan 8, 2006, 6:05 AM

Post #29 of 36 (2223 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Gay life in Mexico

In Reply To
Miguel is provocative in his posts, but I find it refreshing. I mean, really—how many fluff threads can one take about mayonnaise with or without limón, or where to buy a favorite brand of hot dog?

Amen! I almost passed over this thread until I saw who posted it. I thought: "Bet this will stir things up". I wasn't disappointed. Let me now go to the Tech Forum and see if Miguel has ventured there. :-)

Miguel Palomares

Jan 8, 2006, 7:40 AM

Post #30 of 36 (2205 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Gay life in Mexico

Can't Post |

However, Mike has agreed that he needs to get a grip on himself and that he will start right now.

Mike?
From Tzurumutaro, Michoacan, "The Village of the Darned."

The nuts and bolts of moving to Mexico:
http://michaeldickson.blogspot.com/
The dark side of living in Mexico:
http://mexicopeeks.blogspot.com/
Scintillating life in a Mexican pueblo:
http://tzurumutaro.blogspot.com/
http://tzurumutaro2.blogspot.com/

wendy devlin

Jan 8, 2006, 7:35 PM

Post #31 of 36 (2127 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Gay life in Mexico

Class and location...two words that seem privotal to this discussion.
It seems that there are many different situations for gays in Mexico.

Gringo/a gays, Mexicanos/as gays, old gays, young gays, rich gays, poor gays.
Cómo México, no hay dos!

While living in 'my town Mexico', we met quite a few gay Mexican men. Several we knew from boyhood, when they worked in the grocery stores, the pharmacy and on the beaches. Kids around the neighbourhood.

Many a small Mexican town is dominated by muy macho values.
Lots of hard drinking, wild partying, plus 'los torros',( bull-riding rodeos) dancing horses, bandas...and in the wee hours...street fightin! Who-eee! Clear off home!
And I use the royal 'we' for the purpose of this discussion:)

Our daughter and her Mexican boyfriend were friends with all the jotos of town. They went to their homes, partied with them, and worked with them. Along the way, I got introduced to most of their friends especially los toros, dances and the fiestas.

At one memorable recibimiento, (public feast sponsored by that evenings sponsor of 'los torros' held for the nine nights of many fiestas patronales, 'SARA', noted local transvestite performer charmed the crowd first with her singing and later her comedy. That evening, at the bull-ring, SARA mceed the parade into the bull-ring, which was a complete parody of the usual beauty queen, entry, las charras, the clowns etc. The sponsors for that evening's fiesta were botanero owners, in the town's red light district.

The local crowd was wild, enthusiastic...with the pre-game performances, being mostly family, friends and/or perhaps clients.

Our daughter became SARA's confident, heard her stories of her 40 odd years of life and love. Sara's home was kind of a 'safe' house for other jotos especially the young ones. A place for a meal, tears and healing often, from beatings.
From other men in town, who felt wanted to do them harm or by their own lovers, especially of the 'mayate' variety.

However before a too romantic spin be taken about the public level of acceptance of gays, in one small town, consider the experiences in the context of a sub-culture.

This a sub-culture of wide-spread survivalist poverty, prostitution, alcohol and drug abuse, gang activity, ...among many other things.

Caarina12

Jan 9, 2006, 4:03 PM

Post #32 of 36 (2044 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Gay life in Mexico

This is an interesting topic because the issues that drive gay men to be closeted have affected my Mexican hubby's family very directly. There is unfortunately a multigenerational saga of the women folk in the Velazquez clan ending up married to gay men who are closeted. (aunt, sister and cousin)

This unfortunate situation has lead to 2 divorces and 1 separation. There is outright hostility towards any man who tries to be close to the women folk who has ANY hint of femininity. This leads to many discussions with the younger unmarried girls like "don't bring home a photographer or florist!" (these are other Mexican stereotypes of gay men)

However, the attitude within the family is "if they aren't trying to date my sister (daughter, cousin etc), we don't care." So, there is no contradiction with their favorite living entertainer being Juan Gabriel!

julietl

Jan 9, 2006, 7:59 PM

Post #33 of 36 (1998 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Caarina12] Gay life in Mexico

I bought the Miami Herald today - Mexican edition. There was a quote from the secretary of tourism condeming the beating of two gay tourists in Baja California Sur. They were seen kissing in a hotel swimming pool.
Horror of horrors!

I live in DF and can say that the gay scene here is very happening and open. I am in a theater group and every guy in there is gay. Ok, not such a big surprise. I am not stereotyping - it's just true. So, I get to hear a lot about their lives here, and they don't seem to have very many issues - they are all 'out' to their families and have a large supportive community. But, in a bigger city you can find a community for just about anything you're into, so it's easier.

On the other hand, after coming from liberal Portland, I have to say that the lesbian community is not so apparent. I had a lesbian friend visit me 2 years ago from Chicago, and she wanted to go to a girl bar. We were pretty hard pressed to find one.

What I have noticed is that gay jokes are everywhere, mainly teasing about some straight guy acting gay or something like that. Even among my liberal friends, it's deemed just fine to joke about it. It reminds me of the U.S. in the 80s.

Sherrill

Jan 9, 2006, 10:25 PM

Post #34 of 36 (1973 views)

Shortcut

Gay life in small town-do TV´s count?

I was amazed at the local tolerance for transvestites in Yucatan; small fishing village and the surprising center for huge Mardi Gras celebration for all those cross dressers. My first experience in realizing how diverse our local culture was when we moved in to our house with half-finished walls and I had lived in Los Angeles for 20 years. Everyone stopped by to chat. I was not prepared for Mariposa-a kinda cute Mayan guy wearing cut-off jean shorts with lace trim with a midriff-baring top. Actually it was the over-powering perfume that got my attention. He wanted to know what everyone else did; where we from and what were we doing there. That was 6 years ago. Took me awhile but I figured out that all the stylish fish-filleters were gay. Was the cut of their aprons; the way they tucked their trousers into their boots. Come Mardi Gras the place was jumping. One would think one was in Brazil. Most amazing part is that I also knew the very Catholic women and the less accommodating 7th day adventist types. None of them ever had a harsh word to say about these guys. In fact Mariposa showed up the day we moved and said how sorry he was that we were leaving. I kinda of miss him.

Bubba

Jan 10, 2006, 6:35 AM

Post #35 of 36 (1940 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sherrill] Gay life in small town-do TV´s count?

You will find the same acceptance in the Zapotec towns of Juchitan and Tehuentepec in Oaxaca state. It is very interesting, the society there is matriarchal. The women handle business and money, men turn over their money to their women. Sex seems to be defined by the job you have, if you do a woman job , dress like a woman , you are a woman. It looks like there homosexuality and bisexuality is totally accepted.
We recommend their festivals they are a lot of fun. The people are very friendly, the clothes beautiful and you will be invited to join in with mescal and food.

TigerTonio

Jan 11, 2006, 8:19 AM

Post #36 of 36 (1855 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Gay life in small town-do TV´s count?

Although I have yet to visit, it sounds to me like these towns are anomalous or the exception, no? From my own experience, the bigger the city, the greater the tolerance/acceptance. SMA is certainly an exception here.

Mexico's larger towns lack many of the legal protections are that are in place in most larger US cities. But on the other hand, Mexico doesn't have well-funded and well-organized 'family' groups who work in earnest to convince the public that gays are the spawn of satan. I recently stayed with gay friends for 5 weeks in both Guanajuato and Morelia and I didn't see much of a difference in the way gays live in that part of Mexico or in the larger US cities.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4