Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

tonyburton

Jan 3, 2006, 8:52 PM

Post #1 of 9 (4818 views)

Shortcut

Updated Mexico Connect map of Veracruz

Can't Post | Private Reply
For a revised Mexico Connect web-map (the old one was REALLY old!), take a look at:
http://www.mexconnected.com/...ruz/mapveracruz.html
Thanks to Ed and Roy for their advance comments. If you notice other "details" on this map or any map on Mexico Connect, please let me know. Thanks, and Happy New Year! Tony

Bloviator

Jan 4, 2006, 4:59 AM

Post #2 of 9 (4810 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Updated Mexico Connect map of Veracruz

Wish we had your map on our recent trip. The auto club map shows no free road from Vera Cruz to Cordoba. As a result about half way between the two cities, we chickened out, thinking that we were on a road that wandered way north of Cordoba. We asked a Mexican who agreed that we were on the wrong road and that we were going to a different town than Cordoba. (Naturally we were both wrong. The problem with asking Mexicans in the back country about routes to elsewhere, is that they often have never been anywhere but their own town or have only gone on a bus and have no idea how to get anywhere except home and to the plaza.)

We started down a different road that, with the aid of our Atlas, eventually took us to within two miles of the cuota to Villa Hermosa. At that point it withered into three dirt roads. Luckily, the ubiquitious returnee from California (there seems to be at least one nearby whenever we get lost in a small town and can't figure how to get out and on to the next town) told us how to get to the cuota. He then jumped into his car and led us there. This was really essential, because when we got to the cuota, there was no on ramp. He took us into a highway construction camp, talked to some people there, then took us to a fence by the cuota, talked to some people there. They then opened the gate and we were on the cuota. After that we noticed that usually where there is an overpass on the cuota and no entry, there is an informal entry that the locals use.

tonyburton

Jan 4, 2006, 7:36 AM

Post #3 of 9 (4803 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Updated Mexico Connect map of Veracruz

Map comes with the usual disclaimer that I'm not responsible for any misadventures arising out of its use...
For general road travel in Mexico, the best source is the Guia Roji road atlas "Por las carreteras de México". While not perfect, it is fairly reliable, especially for major routes. In the back it has a hieroglyphic rendering of all the toll roads, with details of every access point, every bridge and toll station, etc.

Bloviator

Jan 4, 2006, 8:00 AM

Post #4 of 9 (4801 views)

Shortcut

Agreed. We were able to navigate a lot of very nebulous back roads using the Atlas. If we had not been lazy that morning, and used the Auto Club map instead of the Atlas, we would have had no problem.

raferguson

Jan 4, 2006, 5:31 PM

Post #5 of 9 (4788 views)

Shortcut

Looks nice, includes the usual places that one might want to go.

The green roads are listed as "autopista". Does that equate to "cuota"? I know that many toll roads have free sections, which makes that a bit more complex.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

tonyburton

Jan 4, 2006, 5:43 PM

Post #6 of 9 (4788 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Updated Mexico Connect map of Veracruz

Yes, I believe all the green roads are toll highways (though I admit I'm not 100% sure...)

jennifer rose

Jan 7, 2006, 11:00 AM

Post #7 of 9 (4760 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Where's Fortin de las Flores? You left that out.

tonyburton

Jan 7, 2006, 11:38 AM

Post #8 of 9 (4758 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Updated Mexico Connect map of Veracruz

Cartographic license - it crowded the map too much given its proximity to Orizaba and Cordoba. But I really wanted to include it, so look for it in the second edition. Strangely, I was unable to find anything substantial on Mexico Connect about this wonderful town (one of my favourites in the entire country), so perhaps someone reading this would like to contribute an article about it?? Please??

Ed and Fran

Jan 7, 2006, 12:31 PM

Post #9 of 9 (4753 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Updated Mexico Connect map of Veracruz

The green roads are listed as "autopista". Does that equate to "cuota"? I know that many toll roads have free sections, which makes that a bit more complex.

Yup, the green "autopistas" are toll roads. But, as you mention, the system down here isn't like a toll road up north with toll plazas every few miles or at each exit where it's difficult to find a stretch that you can ride for free.

For example, the autopista that goes from Tuxpan to Poza Rica (actually Tihuatlan) has only one toll plaza, at the Tuxpan end (unfortunately). So you could go from Poza Rica almost to Tuxpan and return without paying anything. But for me to cross the river and go to the golf course I have to pass the toll plaza (about 3 kms before the turnoff to the course) and pay. Fortunately, the cheap cost of membership makes paying the toll only a minor inconvenience. ;-)

Likewise, the new autopista (opened in 2005) that goes from the old Tuxpan-Tihuatlan stretch of autopista and heads down the sierra towards Gutierrez Zamorra (bypassing Poza Rica and Papantla) has only one toll plaza, at the downhill end.

Regards

Ed

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4