Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

bfwpdx

Jan 3, 2006, 6:03 PM

Post #1 of 5 (743 views)

Shortcut

Source for furniture

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are in the final stages of building a new house Lakeside. We have pretty much scraped the bottom of the barrel (moneywise) but we will still need to furnish it. It isn't going to be a full time home for us, but we do want to rent it out part-time so it needs to be fully outfitted. Are there any resources locally for basic furniture (beds, tables and chairs, sofas etc) that would be tasteful but CHEAP?

song_of_joy

Jan 3, 2006, 6:55 PM

Post #2 of 5 (736 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bfwpdx] Source for furniture

Personally, I love the Mexican rustic stuff. It's very inexpensive and a trip to Tonala could furnish your whole house with south-of-the-border style. Almost all the larger Tonala merchants deliver, by the way. For a fee, of course.

Most is made of pinewood, stained dark, with wrought iron pulls and stuff. Some have hand-carved details and all my gringo friends go oooh! and ahhh!.

I keep all the Christmas ornaments in a big trunk that doubles as a coffee table. And, since the furniture emulates an antique style, when it got dinged by skateboards and tricycles over the years, it just looked more authentic.

mkdutch

Jan 4, 2006, 7:53 AM

Post #3 of 5 (690 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bfwpdx] Source for furniture

The various public billboards at LCS (not only look, but post your own "wanted" message), The grocery stores and drug stores can often provide leads. Also, ads in the local weekly periodicals(again, you may want to post your own wanted ad) can help as well as visits to the bazaars in the villages, and along the carreterra. There are some tiendas on the carreterra that sell rustico as well. There is also a weekly mercado in Guad at which used furniture is sold. Someone else will have to help you with times & location on that one. Buena Suerte!...........Dutch

mkdutch

Jan 4, 2006, 7:55 AM

Post #4 of 5 (688 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkdutch] Source for furniture

one last thought; talk to some real estate sales people. Although many homes are sold furnished, some are not, or the buyer may not want the furniture. You could end up with a whole houseful in one shot...8^).

1ajijic

Jan 4, 2006, 8:09 AM

Post #5 of 5 (685 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkdutch] Source for furniture

Also, mexican rustico (chairs / sofas) may be quaint. But, anyone who has lived with it (gringos that is) will find it usually uncomfortable. I's cheap and cute, but, you wouldn't want to live with it.
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4