Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

Cehovet

Jan 2, 2006, 4:30 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1597 views)

Shortcut

Mail in PV

Can't Post | Private Reply
What is the mail service like in Puerto Vallarta? If a person is in a house, is there a mailbox used? What about a condo? Is there central mail dropoff at the main floor or entry to the condo's? Or does one rent a post office box? And what about packages?

The only mail I have used into Mexico has been express delivery, so it doesn't count.

The only mail I have used out of Mexico are postcards, which take a long time (as they do here in the states too)

Thanks,

Bert

nlnic

Jan 3, 2006, 3:01 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1569 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cehovet] Mail in PV

I have looked at the question of mail, and talked with friends in the PV area. Most use PO boxes, takes about 2 wks. to get mail there from US. Others use the Mailboxes, etc. in PV. A lot depends on how much and what type of mail you are going to be recieving. Email is better.
Nancy
Con mi corazon en Mexico!

Howard Botz

Jan 9, 2006, 9:59 AM

Post #3 of 5 (1513 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nlnic] Mail in PV

This may, or may not be helpful, or related to your question, but....
before I moved to Mexico I used to mail cards, letters, etc., to a Mexican friend who lives in PV. He never once received anything I mailed to his house. All those Christmas and birthday cards, photos, etc., were 'lost.' Later I started mailing to his place of employment (a hotel) and I had better luck with that approach.

Howard in Ajijic

Rolly

Jan 9, 2006, 10:16 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1509 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Howard Botz] Mail in PV

Mail service all over Mexico is spotty -- some places it is good, other places it is not, even in the same city. I never been able to receive mail from the USA at my house, but it always arrives safely at a friend's house on the other side of town.

Rolly Pirate

Papirex

Jan 9, 2006, 11:25 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1497 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cehovet] Mail in PV

Rolly is right, mail service here is very spotty and depends on where you live. I would recommend that when you move to a new area you have a friend send you a letter from the US to see if you will actually get it before you have anything of importance mailed to you. Here in Cuernavaca it takes an average of one month for a letter from the US to arrive, if it does arrive. Commercial mail from businesses usually does arrive, late but OK. Personal mail is often stolen in The Post Office, they will always be sliced open, they are looking for money or checks. Packages or their contents are always stolen.

Another problem where we live is the numbering for street addresses follows no pattern. Odd and even house numbers are on both sides of the street, and are not sequential. A house numbered 5 may be right next door to number 18. Sometimes we will occasionally get a letter intended for another family. If we donít know them we have to ask the neighbors if they know where that family lives. The address on the envelope doesnít give you a clue as to how close their house is to yours. Giving the letter back to the postman is not practical, the walls around the houses here prevent you from seeing them when they come, and they donít seem to have a regular schedule on their routes where we live.

A few weeks after we moved to the house we are in now my wife did see the postman on the sidewalk one day. She asked him if he had any mail for us. He asked her what her name was. When she told him our name, he said, ďOh, this is where you live. I have some mail for you, but I didnít know where you live. I will bring it with me tomorrow.Ē We had put a large house number on our wall when we moved in.

It really does depend on where you live. The first house we lived in here was in the Fraccionimiento of Burgos. It is actually a part of The Municipio of Temixco, but it is considered a part of Cuernavaca. All our mail came through the Temixco post office. The Temixco post office stamped the back of the envelope with the time and date of arrival there. It took an average of one month for a letter to arrive there from The States. Temixco was about three miles from our house. We could look over and see Temixco down the hill. It always took an additional 7 days for the letter to travel those 3 miles.

We never use the Mexican Postal system for any personal mail, or anything of importance. We have our daughter in Fairbanks send anything we really need to get, tax documents, bank statements, ATM and credit cards, etc. via FedEx a couple of times a year. Itís a pain in the neck and expensive, but necessary where we live.

You will only know by experience if you can depend on the mail system here where you live. I have ordered brochures from US businesses as a test; if they donít arrive I havenít lost anything I need.

There is an annual day here to honor postmen. Many people give their postman gifts on that day. I have never seen our postman. I wouldnít give him a bag of grass clippings.

Everything I have written applies only to the Cuernavaca area, but it will pay to be cautious until you know what kind of postal service you will have where you live.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4