Shortcut

Post deleted by alex . | Private Reply

alex .

Feb 8, 2006, 6:48 AM

Post #27 of 32 (2828 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tcat] Bus Route 905

Can't Post | Private Reply
Be careful of your new found friendship with the property owner : he sees you coming..........

Perhaps I should clarify. He knows that you are new in town. Even if you are a Mexican, thats a point against you.
You have demonstrated that you are a man of means, thats 2 points. He has a key to your unit, 3 points. The taxi drivers know you are a rookie. He, and the others in neighboring units know that your stay is not permanent so when a truck hauls away your belongings (after you have been there long enough to accumulate some stuff) no one will be surprised.I could go on with a prediction of how things will go. The first confidence building activity will be an invite to an asada, or barbecue, probably right there on the property. Thats not intrinsically bad, just keep your wits about you, that all may not be as it appears. If you are a single male he will offer to show you where to find the ladies, you soon will be hit up for a small contribution to some cause like a quincenera, school uniforms, or even a medical operation if he is brazen enough. I know you plan to keep us posted, please do.
Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on Feb 8, 2006, 7:04 AM)

bournemouth

Feb 8, 2006, 7:35 AM

Post #28 of 32 (2818 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] Bus Route 905

Alex: I love the realism of your posts. The contents may not be what most of us think happens or want to hear but they have the definite ring of truth about them.

Over the past 25 years or so I have noticed, correct me if I'm wrong, that the border areas are more aggressive - that people are quicker to have their hands out for something or other or to try and con you. It seems that the deeper into the country one gets, things get a little gentler. However, I do remember that you have family down south who have their hands held out.

Tcat

Feb 8, 2006, 7:49 AM

Post #29 of 32 (2814 views)

Shortcut

Good thoughts. Maybe I should put in ADT? While I expect him to have a key, I don't expect he should need to get in to physical area.

I am a single professional. It's difficult to be married when travelling to different cities for a living. (Next week is Las Vegas).

He is married and had one daughter. I get the sense he works on the US side during the week. Mamma stays home.

I do already own X10 cameras and Infrared detectors. So it wouldn't be a big expense to start taking JPG's and emailing them at any sign of activity, indoors or out.

alex .

Feb 8, 2006, 12:14 PM

Post #30 of 32 (2796 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Bus Route 905

The special flavor of the border areas comes from the transient population ( most folks there are not FROM there) and the dual economy. A person in a big strange city does not behave like he would at home, where he would be recognised and accountable for his actions. A gallon of milk in Tijuana at 25 pesos is the same as in San Diego, CA. A budget car battery is 40 bucks, just like in San Diego. Factorys might pay a daily wage of 8 dollars equivalent. That really puts a strain on the average guy.
Thats the world according to Alex anyway. I'm sure there are religious and political aspects not understood by me.

And street smarts are way more useful than infrared detectors. One day those same cameras and detectors will be seen at a bargain price in the local tianguis.

Funny about the relatives, isn't it odd how they treat one worse than a stranger would?

(This post was edited by alex . on Feb 8, 2006, 12:55 PM)

Tcat

Feb 11, 2006, 10:16 AM

Post #31 of 32 (2768 views)

Shortcut

I'll be sure to keep my radar up. I'm in my 50's but I doubt any single person would like to take me by force in a one-on-one. The Army training is still with me.

Outside of travelling locally with a BIG lock and FAT cable, any other issues with getting grocies, etc by bike? That is in part how I stay in shape... pedel. It appears some parts would be insane to ride a bike. Say Downtown. But my first review of Otay Mesa looked safe enough on the side roads on the street.

Excellent observations Alex. Makes a lot of sense.

Tcat

alex .

Feb 13, 2006, 5:59 AM

Post #32 of 32 (2748 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tcat] Otay is OK

compared to downtown, as you noted. There may be some cycling clubs in Tijuana, I'm sure I've seen cyclists travelling in groups as though they were practicing for something. Keep in mind that the painted lines on the road don't mean much : if a 3 lane road will fit 5 cars then it becomes a 5 lane road. Otay has everything one needs in close proximity, and recently (a year or so?) the Otay crossing has opened 24 hours. Travelling down Bellas Artes east, toward the Tecate toll road, traffic all but disappears, maybe some good riding out that way.If you ride down to Murua to get to Guaycura or Los Lagos you'll have a heck of a hill to climb.
Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on Feb 13, 2006, 6:03 AM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4