Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

julietl

Dec 16, 2005, 1:50 PM

Post #1 of 12 (2795 views)

Shortcut

Recommendations on Michoacán Beaches?

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are going to be driving from DF to Michoacán for Dec. 26th - Jan 3rd-ish. Looking for some nice quiet beaches to go camping, palapas, etc. Low key and cheap!

We are considering Playa Maruata. I have never been to this area. Any recommendations/comments/raves/warnings for us? Thanks!

Anonimo

Dec 16, 2005, 4:14 PM

Post #2 of 12 (2769 views)

Shortcut

Re: [julietm] Recommendations on Michoacán Beaches?

Friends here recommend el Parador Turístico, near Caleta de Campos. http://www.partourcaleta.com/

Saludos,
Anonimo

mparrino

Dec 16, 2005, 4:23 PM

Post #3 of 12 (2767 views)

Shortcut

A bit further up the road from Anonimo's recommendation, and considerably more humble ... http://surf-mexico.com/sites/nexpa/

Enjoy - it's a lovely area.
Marcia

jerezano

Dec 16, 2005, 4:27 PM

Post #4 of 12 (2766 views)

Shortcut

Hello julietm,

Make a google search for Playa Maruata and you will get 9,800 entries of which the first 10 should provide you with more than enough information. At least 3 of them were in English.

My own reaction to the Michoacán Beaches on an exploration trip some 4 years ago is that they were mostly primitive and undeveloped with the established development all of the undesireable kind. Miserable hotels, junky palapa restaurants selling overpriced fish dinners, etc. And I'm not the picky type either. On the other hand, the beaches were all more or less spectacular from afar. Very small, in isolated coves, hard to get too, Usually down about 200 or more feet from the highway, and populated mainly with fisherfolk and the mom and pop stores and cantinas to take care of them. That coastal highway is very much like highway 101 in California and Oregon. Twisty, up and down, horsehoe curves and all. Two lane, and all your attention will be on driving.

I can't even remember much about Playa Maruata, except the turtle claims. I was not there in the breeding season. It appears however that the "owner" of the beach has developed some kind of tourist structure. How he can be the owner, I don't know; but that is what he claims on his web site. Or so quotes the google search block.

Adios. jerezano.

(This post was edited by jerezano on Dec 16, 2005, 4:33 PM)

manda405

Dec 18, 2005, 4:45 PM

Post #5 of 12 (2698 views)

Shortcut

PLAYA AZUL!!! Nice, quiet, good food, and very few GRINGOS. The Hotel Playa Azul is right across the street from the beach and just off the main strip. With it being so late already, you might have problems finding vacancies if you just show up. Lots of Mexicans from inland come around this time of year. Also just south of Playa Azul is Lazaro Cardenas which is a major port city. The most popular beach is Playa Jardines. I am not sure if there are hotels actually on the beach, but there are lots in town.
This website has more information on the hotels in Playa Azul.
http://www.zonaturistica.com/...-mexico.php?idCd=294
and this one has the hotels of Lazaro Cardenas.
http://www.zonaturistica.com/...-mexico.php?idCd=286

Enjoy your stay. I am jealous, it is cold here in Nogales.

What happens down in Mexico...Stays in Mexico.

Bubba

Dec 19, 2005, 10:39 AM

Post #6 of 12 (2661 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Recommendations on Michoacán Beaches?

Thanks for that Jerezano:

We plan to drive along the coast to Guatemala and, fearing that the Michoacan coast would be as you described, we will drive inland from Jalisco to Lazaro Cardenas via Uruapan. It sounds as though we made the right decision.

We have also heard that they have problems with banditry along that route in Michoacan so if it is as you say, why take a chance?.

I had looked up Playa Maruata on the internet because a friend told how wonderful it was and all I really remember is the untreated sewage from people and their animals flowing into the sea. Not that it matters since I found out that my favorite two beaches in Jalisco, Playa Mismaloya and Boca de Tomatlan have utterly filthy water. I found this out reading the Guadalajara press - there were no warnings at all on the beaches themselves, of course.

julietl

Dec 22, 2005, 5:57 PM

Post #7 of 12 (2594 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Recommendations on Michoacán Beaches?

Thanks for all your advice. We still don't have a set plan.

Last year we found a great place to camp on the beach, about 2 hours north of Acapulco - with a place for our tents, 2 meals a day, and an amazing amount of beer - it was $1,500MN pesos for each of us for 5 nights/6 days.

Maybe that won't happen this year with the over-flowing of displaced tourists from Cancun and Riviera Maya, but I am assuming those types of travelers are looking to rebook a vacation package for the family and won't be going where we're headed.

Bubba - I hadn't heard about the bandits - but we are going to be 3 cars so maybe that will lessen the likelihood? ...or will it increase it? (we all do have those dreaded DF license plates - *gulp*)

I think we are just going to head down there and check things out, I am not exactly holding my breath for the perfect spot, but you never know...

I will write back with what ended up happening to us.

Felicidades - Happy Holidays!

jerezano

Dec 23, 2005, 10:37 AM

Post #8 of 12 (2549 views)

Shortcut

Hello Julietm,

Good luck to you folks. Be aware that most of those Michoacán beaches while beautiful to look at and interesting to stroll are not very safe for swimming. Most are open to the sea and make good surfing spots, but for youngsters you will encounter strong undertows and currents.

Don't worry about your license plates and the District Federal. Why would you go there on a West Coast beach vacation?

Don't worry about bandits either, but do worry about beach thieves. Unprotected campsites on the beach are just that, unprotected.

Have fun! Enjoy! If you folks think that two meals a day, lots of beer and a campsite at $30 per person per day was a good bargain, you will have lots and lots of fun.

Adios. jerezano.

RickS

Dec 23, 2005, 6:43 PM

Post #9 of 12 (2520 views)

Shortcut

This may be of no use to you at all, but I found it on a website about RV'ing that Rolly had posted on the Travel Forum.....

"I thought I would mention one of our favorite places to stop for the night after Melaque. Have you visited Maruata? It is beautiful there. While there is no RV park (not that we have found anyway), it is a little adventure (a safe one) to boondock for the night next to the beach. If you visit here, be sure to say hi to Lupe who bakes cinnamon buns in her little palapa house on the beach. It is behind her place that you would park an RV. We have always found another VW camper or full sized RV when we have stopped, as well as several tenters. It's just a really neat place, and we have come to adore Lupe- she is a wonderful lady and has a very hard, but simple, life.
The turnoff is to the right, 80KM (50 miles) southeast of the Colima line at Km 150, just south of a big bridge. You continue straight and cross the runway (if you didn't know it was a runway you wouldn't notice) to a gravel road which will take you through the village. You continue and cross a small river (large ditch) that usually has no water in it, but if it does, it is very shallow. You will end up on the beach in front of a little palapa area where Lupe lives and bakes! She speaks no English, but is a warm, friendly lady who will try to communicate. She also sells refrescas which you can enjoy in the shade of the palapa- or lounge in a hammock if there are any out- or bring your own. Be sure to explore the rocks to the right where the sea comes barreling through, and a few feet further is another beach which is a bit calmer than the 1st one. There is also a lagoon (to the left) where the fishermen keep their boats. I have read that this area is a turtle sanctuary, but haven't seen anything ourselves."

julietl

Jan 3, 2006, 6:55 PM

Post #10 of 12 (2438 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Recommendations on Michoacán Beaches?

Hey Guys -

Well, we are back!

We left DF at 7:30am (Jerezano, we live here - that's why we were going to the coast for vacation), and drove to Guadalajara, then cut over to the coast and back down a bit until Maruata. It took us 12 hours, 10 hours driving and 2 hours comida/breaks.

The beach was beautiful - definately tough for swimming - the undertow and the waves were huge. Basically 3 beaches, one with big waves for surfers, one that was mild for swimming and the one we were camping on was in-between.

I did see that woman Lupe, with her amazing baking skills. Now she serves pizza as well. There was an old gringo couple that comes down every year, they drive their school bus from Colorado. (!) The wife was helping serve the pizza every night. I didn't talk to her husband, but my boyfriend kept hearing him say, "Goddamned Kids!", when ever he was close to their bus (it was parked right next to the bathrooms, so they were kind of asking for it, IMO).

The beach was very hippy-dippy, with loud drum circles every night which were charming the first night but got really old after a while.

No real problems with on the road, but my friend Picho was almost taken away by the cops one evening while we were at the circle. It was totally dark and 2 guys came up to him and told him to take a walk. He asked for ID, and they said, "Here's our ID." - they showed their guns - no joke! well, thank God one of my friends noticed that he was being taken away and alerted all of us. We all got up and followed. After a bit of barganing with my friends (I didn't say a word!), they let him go. It was ridiculous, everyone all around us was smoking except us, but they picked him to shake down. I guess when they saw he was with a lot of people and that he didn't have anything illegal, they realized they couldn't scare him. But the next night I was walking by myself and I saw the same cops cornering some poor guy all alone.

All & all, though, the vacation was wonderful. 6 days of doing absolutely nothing - perfect! I'd definately recommend the place and would go back. There were a lot of families there as well, so it is kid friendly, although like I said - loud at night.

(This post was edited by julietm on Jan 3, 2006, 6:56 PM)

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Jan 3, 2006, 8:30 PM

Post #11 of 12 (2417 views)

Shortcut

Re: [julietm] We don't need no stinkin' badges!

julietm sez:

He asked for ID, and they said, "Here's our ID." - they showed their guns - no joke!

Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948):

Dobbs: "If you're the police, where are your badges?"
Bandido: "Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"

In B. Traven's book, on which the film is based, the language in this scene is even...um, "saltier."

- K.H.

P.S. Mandatory Michoacan beach content: The beach north of Caleta de Campos, between there and Nexpa, is quite nice for swimming on a calm day when the surf's not too high. Decent seafood under the beach-side palapas at Nexpa, also.

Before enlightenment: Chop wood, haul water.
After enlightenment: Chop wood, haul water.

julietl

Jan 4, 2006, 3:43 PM

Post #12 of 12 (2379 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kimpatsu_hekigan] We don't need no stinkin' badges!

I know - exactly!! LOL!!!

We were quoting that too. Although, I always thought it was from a Cheech & Chong movie (shows you how cultured I am).

We were able to laugh about it later, in the morning... Picho is going to be teased about this all year!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4