Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

datnurse

Dec 9, 2005, 1:26 PM

Post #1 of 7 (2828 views)

Shortcut

Long term accomdations

Can't Post | Private Reply
My husband and i will be wintering in San Miguel this year. This will be our third trip to the area and, although we are looking forward to it, I am beginning to plan ahead for next year to, perhaps, spent the winter exploring another area. Anyone out there who knows of long term rental accomaI'm one of those gringas that has studied spanish - but STILL struggles with it so I/we are more comfortable sticking to the places we can practice Spanish, but don't HAVE to know it to get by. If anyone knows of accomodations in Jalisco, (did I spell that right?) or any place near the Pacific Ocean, please send me the contact info. Thanks so much!

esperanza

Dec 9, 2005, 3:11 PM

Post #2 of 7 (2825 views)

Shortcut

Re: [datnurse] Long term accomdations

Jalisco is a very large state, with a lot of coastline. Could you narrow your thoughts a bit and give us a smaller geographic area to think about?

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

datnurse

Dec 9, 2005, 5:50 PM

Post #3 of 7 (2807 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Long term accomdations

I guess my problem is that I don't know...what I don't know. I'm guessing maybe Lake Chapala or Aiijec or ??? I'd like to go somewhere on or near the Pacific coast where I, as a very poor Spanish speaker, will feel comfortable and be able to muddle through. I don't, on the other hand, want to go somewhere that's 'all gringos." Does this help explain what I'm looking for? Anyone out there with suggestions for me? Also, (and importantly) contact info for long term accomodations. THANKS!

shoe

Dec 10, 2005, 4:40 AM

Post #4 of 7 (2789 views)

Shortcut

Consider Berra de Navidad, Melaque, La Manzanillo or several other places as far north as Puerta Villarta in Jalisco along the Pacific coast. These arees have very mild winters and enough English speakers in the area either as tourists or even a few Meixcanos that you can communicate, in English, with if needed. Practicing your Spanish in these ares will be easy as in winter they are very popular with Canadian tourists and gringos who can help you if you get into trouble.

Just a thought.

shoe

Nothing is intrinsically good or evil, but its manner of usage may make it so.
-St. Thomas Aquinas

datnurse

Dec 10, 2005, 5:35 AM

Post #5 of 7 (2786 views)

Shortcut

Re: [shoe] Long term accomdations

Thanks Shoe. Are these places where it would be 'safe' to just go, stay in a motel a few days while finding an apartment, or, do I need to arrange accomodations via the Net - (something I hate doing as I've found in the past that I end up paying almost double from doing it locally.) Does anyone out there know of an apartment or casita available for winter/spring 2007 in the budget to moderate jprice? Thanks!

mariejosee

Dec 10, 2005, 8:07 AM

Post #6 of 7 (2772 views)

Shortcut

I've never heard of anyone trying to reserve so long ahead of time. I never make reservations. I get there, stay in a hotel, look for an appartment, usually get an appartment within a day to a week. I'm on the coast, north of Vallarta about one hour. Depending on what you want, the coast has beaches and not much else. If you want culture and English speakers, stay inland, something like Patzcuaro or SMA.

As if you could kill time without injuring eternity.
"Henry David Thoreau"

shoe

Dec 11, 2005, 5:06 AM

Post #7 of 7 (2742 views)

Shortcut

Just coming and getting a hotel is usually fine. The only time it would be difficult is at Christmas and Easter. The beach is packed then and accomodations are a little harder to find.

Of course there are other beach locations but you did limit it to Jalisco.

IF the time frame you are considering it in 2007 you sure have a lot of time to research.

There is a forum on this area at: http://www.tomzap.com/frm/list.php?f=8

Another at: http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/sparksmexico.html

And one for Puerto Villarta at: http://www.vallartascene.com/...rum/phpBB2/index.php

cya,
shoe

Nothing is intrinsically good or evil, but its manner of usage may make it so.
-St. Thomas Aquinas

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4