Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Papirex

Dec 8, 2005, 4:10 PM

Post #26 of 41 (2974 views)

Shortcut

Re: [talosian] If not Mexico, where would you live?

| Private Reply
Anchorage, Alaska. True Alaskans consider America to be a foreign country. Alaska, like any place in far northern climes has the best summers you will find anywhere. The winters in Anchorage are no worse than winter in snow country anywhere. They actually sell clothes for winter weather there. Anchorage has natural gas for heating too. The American government has arbitrarily stopped Alaska from marketing our vast reserves of natural gas, which are already developed, for no good reason. The Anchorage area is about the only area in Alaska that has natural gas for consumer use.

Alaska has no state income tax, and no state sales tax. Anchorage and Fairbanks have no city sales taxes, but they are the only two Alaskan cities that require automobile smog tests every two years. A senior citizen in Alaska may register one car for two years for US$ 2 Dollars, and the first $150,000 of property valuation is exempt from property taxes. Generally speaking, houses there are selling for about half the prices I have seen in California and some other states.

Alaska has exceptional health care available. There are so many medical professionals that retire from the military services up there that want to stay in Alaska that there exists actual competition for patients. Getting a medical or dental appointment is very easy, not much of a wait. I personally pay zip for my own health care up there because I am eligible for US Indian Health service. While there are no IHS facilities up there, The Alaska Native Health Service Provides health services for eligible IHS patients. I never had to pay a dental, medical, or hospital bill up there in over 30 years. It is my ace in the hole in case of a catastrophic illness. My wife is not eligible for IHS services. Thank you President Reagan you SOB (Saintly Old Boy) I also thank all of you for paying your income taxes, I have enjoyed what every American wants. Service from the government, with somebody else paying for it Smile

When we were married, I promised my wife we would live in her country after my retirement. I am perfectly happy living in Mexico, but I know I would be slightly happier living in Alaska. Much of the country up there is breathtakingly beautiful. Most of it, especially in the northern interior is ugly as homemade shit. No one can exist, much less live on it. No tourists or "town people" ever see that part.

When was the last time you drove a pickup truck on an ocean? I have done that on the Beaufort Sea, just off the coast of Prudhoe Bay. I was driving on 20 feet of ice on an ice road on the surface. I have been places, done things, and seen things up there that other people can only read about in books. My work took me to some very interesting places up there. A tourist doesn’t have enough money to go to some of the places I worked at up there; there would be no place for them to stay anyway.

My Mexican wife actually misses Alaska too. Whenever she talks about missing it, and I suggest maybe we should move back, she just smiles and says, “I will miss you.”

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

(This post was edited by RexC on Dec 8, 2005, 4:33 PM)

Don Moore

Dec 8, 2005, 9:24 PM

Post #27 of 41 (2927 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] If not Mexico, where would you live?

| Private Reply
great story, Rex.
Don Moore

geri

Dec 9, 2005, 5:51 AM

Post #28 of 41 (2904 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Nicaragua...an undiscovered gem...that will no doubt change. Lots of water, (lakes/oceans), islands, rain forests, volcanoes to climb and friendly people. Downside: poverty is rampant, but it's changing. Keep your eye on it.

calexico

Dec 9, 2005, 9:51 AM

Post #29 of 41 (2873 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Antigua, Guatemala. A beautiful city with great weather, lots of cultural activities and a very interesting international expatriate community.

Bubba

Dec 9, 2005, 10:34 AM

Post #30 of 41 (2859 views)

Shortcut

Re: [calexico] If not Mexico, where would you live?

| Private Reply
That was a good story well delivered about Alaska Rex, but I will join Calexico in Antigua, Guatamala, perhaps the most beautiful town in the most beautiful setting in the Americas.Hell, I'm going down there soon. Maybe, rather than dream about green grass on the other side, I'll move there. However, don't get your hopes up fellow Chapalans- old farts don't like to move and Antigua has become very expensive. When we last visited there in the early 90s, the place was dirt cheap. That's life.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Dec 9, 2005, 11:52 AM)

mariejosee

Dec 9, 2005, 10:51 AM

Post #31 of 41 (2849 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] If not Mexico, where would you live?

| Private Reply
Whatever you do, don't drive in Guatemala at night, there are carjackers.

As if you could kill time without injuring eternity.
"Henry David Thoreau"

calexico

Dec 9, 2005, 11:02 AM

Post #32 of 41 (2847 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mariejosee] If not Mexico, where would you live?

| Private Reply
Mariejosee,
I'm more likely to be car-jacked here in the USA.:-) I've been visiting Antigua and Guatemala for a long time and have never had any problems. You just have to be vigilant and aware of your surroundings.

mariejosee

Dec 9, 2005, 11:36 AM

Post #33 of 41 (2836 views)

Shortcut

Re: [calexico] If not Mexico, where would you live?

| Private Reply
I was shot on the highway between the border and Antigua last year while driving at 8pm in high traffic. I was told by Ministerio Publico that there were three gangs working that road. Several others had incidents while I was in the hospital in Guatemala city.

"Henry David Thoreau"

Bubba

Dec 9, 2005, 12:02 PM

Post #34 of 41 (2825 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
OK. You guys have me curious about this. I know this is a bit off subject but we are planning to drive our Mexican plated vehicle from Tapachula to Antigua and Copan and back through Huehuetenango to Comitan. We have been debating whether we should leave our car in Tapachula and take buses to our Guatemalan destinations. We would not drive at night. If we stay on the main roads, are we relatively safe in Guatemala in a Mexican plated vehicle? We have driven in Guatemala before without any problem even during the civil strife of the 80s but only in rented vehicles.

If the moderator objects to our going off on a tangent, please PM me.

I do want to say, however, that there are, doubtless, many people who would like to drive into Central American from Mexico so this is not an unreasonable topic.

Thanks.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Dec 9, 2005, 12:09 PM)

mariejosee

Dec 9, 2005, 12:22 PM

Post #35 of 41 (2818 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
It happenned on the main highway with lots of witnesses. We had fully intended to arrive at Antigua before dark but were delayed at border and slow traffic. We had no guatemalan insurance. Your mexican insurance doesn't cover you there. My mechanic there said if I ever wanted to return to call him, we would put my car in a garage at the border and he would lend me a guatemalan plated car. They weren't shooting to scare, they were shooting to kill.

"Henry David Thoreau"

Bubba

Dec 9, 2005, 2:50 PM

Post #36 of 41 (2796 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Well, Mariejosee,

It seems you are confirming my fear that Mexican license plates invite dangerous thieves in Guatemala and we might be better off leaving our car in Tapachula, taking a bus to Antiqua and renting a car to drive to Copan.

I don't want to sound like a ninny but why risk having our asses shot off by bandits on the Pan American Highway or having our car stolen if the prospect of such events is abnormally high. Unless this is really a big problem, we will drive our Mexican car to Antigua and Copan. I mean, let's face it; if the bandits don't get you, eventually, God will. However, I still will not fly on a Russian airplane. Why beg for death.

sfmacaws

Dec 9, 2005, 9:15 PM

Post #37 of 41 (2749 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
We were also considering coming north on that route in Feb after visiting Copan and Antigua.

I'm very sorry this happened to you and I appreciate that you have told us about it, it is important information. I have a couple of questions.

What I'm getting is that everyone involved felt it was because you had a foreign plated car, correct?

Did the people who shot you try to stop your car or approach it after you were shot? In other words, was it an attempted robbery or was it just 'let's kill a foreigner'?

Were you driving?

Definitely sobering. I too will rethink taking this route or at least do a lot more snooping around for info on other recent attacks.

Thank you,

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

mariejosee

Dec 9, 2005, 10:40 PM

Post #38 of 41 (2731 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] If not Mexico, where would you live?

| Private Reply
I think it was the foreign plates. Some say they picked us out at the border and followed us till night fall, I was in the passenger seat, my friend was driving and he received three bullets, two of them in the head. No, he didn't die. We lost control of the vehicle and crashed at full speed in a field, there was no doubt in my mind that they were just looking for a turn around and they were coming back to finish what they had started. Some other vehicle stopped and offered us assistance, they called ambulances and the police. We never saw the first guys again. They were five gunmen in the back of a pick-up truck. I had enough wits left to gather our papers and wallets etc. Later when I got the car towed back from Santa Lucia Cotzumalguapa, I saw that all our stuff had been gone over and all kinds of things were missing, well, the car had hardly any windows left.

"Henry David Thoreau"

sfmacaws

Dec 10, 2005, 1:30 AM

Post #39 of 41 (2724 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thank you for telling us the story. It must have been a truly dreadful event. I'm very happy that neither of you were killed and that people stopped to help you. How horrible though. It certainly gives me a lot to think about.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

mrchuck

Dec 10, 2005, 6:17 PM

Post #40 of 41 (2639 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Maybe in Port Mansfied, Texas over on the Gulf coast, or San Benito Texas. Other choice would be over on the Louisiana/Texas border where the Toledo Bend Reservoir is. I like to fish while I can.

The strong Northerly winter winds here in Los Barriles,BCS, blow directly North down the Sea of Cortez and makes it difficult waiting for the winds to die down. Only a few calm days a month, then it blows some more.

Saludos,,,,,mc

(This post was edited by mrchuck on Dec 10, 2005, 6:19 PM)

jhutt

Dec 12, 2005, 10:14 AM

Post #41 of 41 (2547 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] If not Mexico, where would you live?

| Private Reply
My wife and I spent a month in 2004 driving throughout the Guatemalan highlands. We were driving a Ca. plated Chevy Tahoe. We had no problems and were helped numerous times by local folks. Sorry for your misfortune traveling at night. Joe
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4