Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

jennifer rose

Dec 5, 2005, 6:41 PM

Post #1 of 15 (3641 views)

Shortcut

What to bring?

Can't Post |
On December 12, we in Michoacan will celebrate International Migrant's Day with a potluck, which is supposed to represent the country from which each participant hails. The Cubans and the Colombians always do a bang-up job around here, putting the rest of the countries to shame. The Americans, as Americans are wont, will insist upon separate tables, bickering over table space, whose table decorations should be represented, the lady who brings meatloaf sandwiches will unmercifully and arrogantly appropriate the dessert plates, forks and napkins brought by the donor of the pecan pies.

Which brings me, the perennial donor of the Costco pecan pies, to beseech the forum for ideas about a culinary item to contribute. While my personal culinary style is "reservations," I'm in search of ideas for something to make that will knock everyone's socks off, be easy to execute, and keep the folks at INAMI from deciding to deport me.

sfmacaws

Dec 5, 2005, 7:03 PM

Post #2 of 15 (3633 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] What to bring?

Can't Post | Private Reply
How about a big pot of Gumbo? In honor of New Orleans or some such. Everyone loves seafood and sausage and you can make it in a huge pot and ladel it out into styrofoam bowls. Don't know if you can get the gumbo file there though.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Esteban

Dec 5, 2005, 7:12 PM

Post #3 of 15 (3630 views)

Shortcut

How about using some good ground beef....like grind up some filete and make a dynomite meat loaf...cool it down and serve up some small meat loaf sandwiches. Pan integral, good mustard, mayo, tomate, onions...I'm hungry already. Or, how about a good old fashioned potato salad served on a bed of lettuce.

Cynthia7

Dec 5, 2005, 9:42 PM

Post #4 of 15 (3611 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] What to bring?

One year -on St. Patrick's Day-we did hot dogs with chili, mustard,mayonaise, chopped onion, pickle relish, cheese,etc. We opened our door on Aldama in SMA and invited passer byers to come in and eat. We had American apple and pecan pie for dessert. Our only request was to donate and name their favorite charity. We gave the money to the winning charity. Everybody had a good time and keep wanting us to do it again. Maybe we will.

Gayla

Dec 6, 2005, 2:31 PM

Post #5 of 15 (3577 views)

Shortcut

Mac & Cheese. Better yet, you can probably even get the Stouffer's family pack at Costco. Just heat and serve. No muss, no fuss and just this side of reservations ;-)

song_of_joy

Dec 6, 2005, 5:59 PM

Post #6 of 15 (3558 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gayla] What to bring?

I do sloppy joes for most informal get-togethers. No knifes or forks needed and they're tremendously popular with the college crowd, who consider them "gourmet." (Oh well.) They work perfectly for our neighborhood Christmas posada because, in addition to easy-to-serve and eat, they're steaming hot.

jswarts

Dec 9, 2005, 8:51 PM

Post #7 of 15 (3523 views)

Shortcut

Hi Jennifer,

Have you decided what to bring yet? I noticed you said pecan pie, does that mean you are looking for a dessert? Or do you have something else in mind. I have a few knock-your-socks-off recipes that are easy to execute. Let me know if I can help. Just give me the category of food and how many portions you are looking to make.

Jennifer

TlxcalaClaudia

Dec 10, 2005, 1:21 PM

Post #8 of 15 (3492 views)

Shortcut

Shrimp bisque or neckbone soup (popular here in the south but I know many Americans would never touch it so that one might be a risk.)

Claudine

esperanza

Dec 10, 2005, 2:15 PM

Post #9 of 15 (3487 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TlxcalaClaudia] What to bring?

Neckbone soup is very popular in Mexico, too. Here we call it Espinazo de Puerco. It's made with pork neckbones, stewed with chiles, other spices, and verdolagas (purslane).

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Dec 10, 2005, 3:17 PM)

TlxcalaClaudia

Dec 10, 2005, 3:05 PM

Post #10 of 15 (3481 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] What to bring?

Neckbone soup is very popular in Mexico, too. Here we call it Espinazo de Puerco. It's made pork neckbones, stewed with chiles, other spices, and verdolagas (purslane).

Didn't know that. Must be why hubby's fam gobbled it up when I prepared it for them.

I thought of another dish served often in SouthUSA, blackened chicken (or fish, yum).

C

jennifer rose

Dec 10, 2005, 5:59 PM

Post #11 of 15 (3467 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TlxcalaClaudia] What to bring?

Can't Post |
One thing I’ve learned along the way is to stifle creative urges. Efforts at creating anything complex are seldom appreciated and often backfire.

I’m definitely not going to dedicate my stash of gumbo file or expensive ingredients to the effort. Nor am I about to schlep around hot food, especially a cauldron of soup, carrying a warming plate and extension cords. A caterer doing this for pay I am not.

There may be an hour’s worth of speeches and other entertainment before folks hit the food.

Shrimp bisque and pork neckbone soup? Give me a break! That strikes me as punishment food. Well, I guess both may have its fans, but neither dish is going to find its way into my kitchen.

The Stouffer’s family pack of macaroni and cheese has never been found at Morelia’s Costco.

The meatloaf lady’s meatloaf sandwiches were about as popular as someone’s anonymous contribution of macaroni-and-mayonnaise salad – both were barely touched at the end of the fiesta.

And for that reason, I’m taking the path of least resistance and buying a Costco pecan pie. Or an apple pie.

Esteban

Dec 11, 2005, 12:36 AM

Post #12 of 15 (3449 views)

Shortcut

What a puss. It's all in the presentation. Meatloaf, made with ground filete, cooled down and in small triangle sandwiches would have been the correct choice. If the guests didn't eat it, then you would have had enough for the next meal. Shame on you! A pie from Costco. Yuk

MazDee

Dec 12, 2005, 8:43 PM

Post #13 of 15 (3396 views)

Shortcut

Just curious, JR. What was the best "American" dish at the potluck? I actually liked Esteban´s idea, but it would have to be an excellent meatloaf, and few people even know how to make one. Costco pies, as I recall, were pretty good, and a safe if boring choice. So?

jennifer rose

Dec 13, 2005, 1:03 AM

Post #14 of 15 (3393 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] What to bring?

Can't Post |
Look at the Bajio forum for a rundown of the event.

The best American contribution would have been Andrew of Sacramento's salmon croquettes.

Meatloaf sandwich lady didn't show up; in any event, her meatloaf sandwiches were not exactly a hit last year.

ncferret

Dec 13, 2005, 5:06 AM

Post #15 of 15 (3390 views)

Shortcut

Two words. Banana Pudding.

Locals love their desserts and I made this once for a Christmas dinner. It disappeared before most of the main dishes and its much easier to make than Apple Pie. Make sure you use LOTS of cookies!

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,banana+pudding,FF.html

(This post was edited by ncferret on Dec 13, 2005, 5:08 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4