Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

amor del sol

Dec 5, 2005, 11:03 AM

Post #1 of 17 (5771 views)

Shortcut

pvc windows

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am looking for a distributor of PVC (all-vinyl) windows in Mexico - specifically Quintana Roo.

Esteban

Dec 5, 2005, 11:27 AM

Post #2 of 17 (5768 views)

Shortcut

Re: [amor del sol] pvc windows

I'd like to find out the answer to that question too. Also, do PVC windows work in hot weather?

Most of the window jobs I've seen up Mazatlan way, are fabricated on the spot. I've never seen a standard window here.
Of course if you order double pane, all the measurements have to be taken and then assembled at the construction site with the vacuum part of the window being pre constructed somewhere else.

amor del sol

Dec 5, 2005, 11:51 AM

Post #3 of 17 (5760 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] pvc windows

This is what I know about them: they are being used a great deal in the midwest (US) new construction, where temperatures range from 20 below to 95+ degrees. Everything I hear about them is very positive. They have been used for some time in Europe, before being introduced to the US. I hear there is a Geman Company that is distributing in Cancun, but I do not know the Company's name. My builder in Mexico has not used them, and he is reluctant for some reason to look into it. I would like to know who the distributor is so I can pass the information on to our builder.

Esteban

Dec 5, 2005, 12:01 PM

Post #4 of 17 (5759 views)

Shortcut

I used them in the US for new home construction. They are great. However, there were some issues about the shape changing...larger window frames sagging in extreme warm conditions.

The problem I see in Mexico and with concrete construction is obtaining the correct opening so the lips of the window frames can do their thing. With wood, you know ahead of time what the "rough" opening should be and those tolerances are held within an 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch. Plus, with Mexican building tecniques, it's hard to obtain a plumb and square window opening.

amor del sol

Dec 5, 2005, 12:21 PM

Post #5 of 17 (5754 views)

Shortcut

How would they be different (regarding the sagging and concrete construction)from the vinyl clad aluminum that is being used in Q.Roo?

Esteban

Dec 5, 2005, 1:38 PM

Post #6 of 17 (5740 views)

Shortcut

I'm talking about two different things. First, I recall but it's vague, about issues with heat and how it changes the shape of the PVC...softens it? I honestly don't remember. Sorry.

I don't have a clue how they are building houses in Quintana Roo...Are they using the normal northern/central Mexican method of construction like say you'd find on Rolly's homepage? If they are, then I've found that making the window opening exact is a problem. Therefore, buying "standard" sizes" doesn't fare too well. I'm not saying it can't be done but it takes a DAMN good brick and concrete man to do the job. Exceptional to be more correct.

Rolly

Dec 5, 2005, 2:47 PM

Post #7 of 17 (5734 views)

Shortcut

Actually, it is pretty easy to get a window or door opening exactly the size you want. You do it just like building an arch -- build a wooden frame and brick against the frame.

Rolly Pirate

sfmacaws

Dec 5, 2005, 4:20 PM

Post #8 of 17 (5728 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] pvc windows

The vidrio y alumino guy comes to the house here in Akumal and builds the whole thing, cutting the glass and building the aluminum frame. Not a single window or door here is square or plumb. That's not new construction though, I think they do it the same way there but I'm not sure. There sure is a huge difference in the quality of work from one guy to the other, our last windows never fit right and I was kind of glad that Emily blew them out. THe replacements are very good and lasted through Wilma.

I know this isn't what you were asking, I assume you are talking about new construction. I can ask our manager about the german company, he is german and would probably be familiar with it. There is a sort of sub-net of germans in this area and they all at least know about each other. If the company is run by germans, he will know it.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

patricio_lintz

Dec 5, 2005, 4:47 PM

Post #9 of 17 (5722 views)

Shortcut

It is true that standard windows are hard to fit. My window guy from Guadalajara has taken to building them on-site after first trying the pre-fit approach. After having to adjust several window and door openings with a hammer and chisel, he gave up and went for the custom build.

Home Depot has some nice standard windows, & it is always possible to do some opening adjustments with hammer & masonary chisel & then repair the damage when the door or window is installed.

Just do not do any force fitting & make sure end result is a level, square & plumb door or window.

esperanza

Dec 5, 2005, 8:37 PM

Post #10 of 17 (5704 views)

Shortcut

Re: [patricio_lintz] pvc windows

Pella has a shop in Guadalajara.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

amor del sol

Dec 6, 2005, 6:26 AM

Post #11 of 17 (5690 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] pvc windows

Yes, could you check with your German friends.
My husband is a contractor here in the States and he is a little obsessed with the PVC windows. There is an Amish company here in Wisconsin who makes PVC windows, and at first he thought he could haul them down, but now realizes that is impractical. As I said before, our builder in Mexico does not seem interested in them, and so I thought I would get the information for him. By the way, is there a Home Depot in Cancun? I heard there was, but can not locate one on the Home Depot website.

sfmacaws

Dec 6, 2005, 12:39 PM

Post #12 of 17 (5662 views)

Shortcut

I'll ask him as soon as I see him, probably tonight.

Yes there is a Home Depot as well as all the other big box stores. It seems fairly well stocked last week when I was there, it is near the first roundabout as you go north into Ciudad Cancun. They are still working on it and repairs have the street torn up but it is open and full of stuff and people. I'm sure they are doing a booming business. They took over another home supply store, can't remember which one used to be there, and may not have updated their web page.

I think you will find it very difficult to get local builders to use new or different techniques and products. Some might equate it to applying your head to a brick wall. Even outward agreement doesn't mean they will change, they are just making you happy and getting rid of you. Especially if your husband is a contractor in the US, he may have a hard time with common building practices here. Read the web pages of other US contractors or builders who have done projects in MX, like Rolly and Patricio for some of the frustrations.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

sfmacaws

Dec 6, 2005, 12:41 PM

Post #13 of 17 (5660 views)

Shortcut

Just curious, and I may have missed it elsewhere, but where in QRoo are you building?

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

amor del sol

Dec 6, 2005, 1:09 PM

Post #14 of 17 (5654 views)

Shortcut

Paraiso Tankah - between Soliman Bay and Tankah Tres. I know that no one has been able to get a permit there for almost 3 years, but our lot is on the jungle side, not beachfront, and there has been some indication that because it is not beachfront, that we have a chance. We bought the land almost five years ago, and are trying to stay positive, and are designing a modest house that should fit into the size limitations. We will soon see!
Do you own a house in Akumal?

sfmacaws

Dec 6, 2005, 1:54 PM

Post #15 of 17 (5648 views)

Shortcut

Beautiful area, I know nothing about the permit process there but I wish you good luck and hope you will soon get to build your house.

We own a condo in Akumal, I bought it about 6 years ago. We usually spend part of the winter in it and the rest traveling around Mx and C.A. and have been coming here for 12 years. A lot has changed but that is inevitable.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

sfmacaws

Dec 8, 2005, 9:56 PM

Post #16 of 17 (5593 views)

Shortcut

I talked to my german friend tonight and he does not know any germans in Cancun in that kind of business. He may just not know them but he thinks that if there is a german representative in Mexico they would be in Mexico City where most of the business is and there would be a mexican distributor in Cancun. He says that is how most german companies do it here, they have a rep in the DF and most of the other distributors and employees are mexican.

Now the spaniards... they are all here in QRoo. The locals are calling it the second conquest, so many spanish companies have bought up the land and the hotels along this coast. Kind of nice to not be a part of the most resented foreign country.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Bevan

Dec 19, 2005, 7:21 PM

Post #17 of 17 (5517 views)

Shortcut

Try www.eurowindowsmexico.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4