First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jswarts

Nov 29, 2005, 9:37 PM

Post #1 of 27 (6908 views)

Shortcut

Dr. Pepper

| Private Reply
Hello All,

This is my first post although I have enjoyed reading the posts from others. I already feel like I know some of you (Bubba!). My husband and I are seriously investigating a move the the Chapala area. We're beginning to get a handle on the differences, both the wonderful and the ugly. There is one thing I have to know because it could be a deal breaker:

Is Dr. Pepper available locally?

We live in Fort Worth, and I think Dr. Pepper constitutes the largest portion of our daily diet (or so it seems). If it is available and one of you out there happens to have a bottle or can handy, (and here's the part where I sound like a loon or a snob) can you tell me where it is bottled? We've had DP bottled in New York, Memphis, and LA, and they all taste different. I'm curious how local DP may differ (if it even exists) and how it mat differ from the stuff bottled in Plano, TX.

Esteban

Nov 30, 2005, 3:27 PM

Post #2 of 27 (6863 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jswarts] Dr. Pepper

| Private Reply
When you move to Mexico, make a change and switch to "Tonicol". Similar but seriously delicious.

Cynthia7

Nov 30, 2005, 3:39 PM

Post #3 of 27 (6861 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Dr. Pepper

| Private Reply
What bottler puts out "Tonical"?

jswarts

Nov 30, 2005, 4:41 PM

Post #4 of 27 (6850 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Dr. Pepper

| Private Reply
Thanks Esteban. I'll have to add Tonicol to my ever-growing try/see/do list for our upcomming investigational trip.

Bloviator

Dec 1, 2005, 5:56 AM

Post #5 of 27 (6818 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Saw Dr. Pepper advertised in the Ajijic plaza yesterday. Forgot about you or would have followed up. Will check it out next time I am in the plaza unless you get lots of information in the meantime.

manda405

Dec 2, 2005, 7:03 PM

Post #6 of 27 (6782 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Coke, Coke, and more Coke. That is the favorite drink of any and all Mexican gatherings. So even if you find Dr. Pepper in your town, don't expect it to be on the menu at your local hotspot, or in the fridge at your friend's house.

What happens down in Mexico...Stays in Mexico.

LindaM

Dec 6, 2005, 7:56 PM

Post #7 of 27 (6738 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Dr. Pepper came to Mexico about a year ago - unfortunately for me no sugar free. It's made by 7-Up and I would bet it's made and bottled here in Mexico. That would mean it's made with pure cane sugar and not corn syrup which would make it taste a little different (better!). Prior to a year ago we could buy it in Ajijic for over a dollar a can! That was the imported stuff. It is now available in major stores for the same price as a can of Coca-Cola. But ya' gotta' admit - no matter where it's bottled and no matter what subtle changes there might be it's still THE BEST!!!!!

jswarts

Dec 7, 2005, 9:33 AM

Post #8 of 27 (6722 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LindaM] Dr. Pepper

| Private Reply
Thanks Linda,

We'd be thrilled to have pure cane Dr. Pepper. Right now we will often drive to Dublin, Texas, where the original Dr. Pepper bottler is located. He's independent, not part of that whole Frito Lay conglomerate, and bottles authentic Dr. Pepper made with pure cane sugar. Nothing beats it.

It's weird the little things that make us feel like we're home. My husband and I have discussed many things that we may have to do without, including many of the items that people on this board have mentioned are hard to find, and we agree that we will probably have no problem without them (of course you never know until they're gone!), but no Dr. Pepper would truly make us feel deprived. I guess its kinda like a kid and his security blanket. You can plunk him down anywhere and as long as he has that blanket, everything is okay.

I wonder what items other people have found or not been able to find that really affect their sense of well being and hominess. Any security blankets out there?

Jennifer

dtracy8671

Dec 7, 2005, 10:16 AM

Post #9 of 27 (6716 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hi Jennifer,

I live in Irving and recently my husband and I saw Dr. Pepper made with pure can sugar in Tom Thumb. We both commented about it because we had just come back in from Abilene and stopped in Dublin for a Dr. Pepper. You might ask the manager at your local store if they carry it.

We also saw it in Ajijic, so I know it is available. Good luck to you!

Donna

Bubba

Dec 7, 2005, 11:29 AM

Post #10 of 27 (6710 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Now, lissen here, JS, why in the world would anybody in Texas drink Dr. Pepper when they can get bottled RC Cola to dunk their Tom's peanuts in?

jswarts

Dec 7, 2005, 6:32 PM

Post #11 of 27 (6680 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Dr. Pepper

| Private Reply
Hey Bubba, wherthehelleryoofrum? Alabama? RC and Tom's? I scoff at your pedestrian ways!

Bubba

Dec 7, 2005, 7:14 PM

Post #12 of 27 (6671 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Bubba was feeling guilty about this overly aggressive posting so he deleted it.

I suddenly realized the sense of power it gave me to do this.

This deletion may cause confusion as to Rolly's follow-up post. Let's just say that Dr. Pepper came in for some snotty remarks.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Dec 9, 2005, 11:49 AM)

Rolly

Dec 7, 2005, 8:02 PM

Post #13 of 27 (6655 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hey, you fat redneck. Leave Dr Pepper out of this. And anyway peanuts go into Coke. Nothing goes with RC.

---------------------------------------------

Added after Bubba deleted his post.

For goodness sake, Bubba, don't go PC on us!

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Dec 10, 2005, 7:21 AM)

Rolly

Dec 7, 2005, 8:04 PM

Post #14 of 27 (6653 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Dr. Pepper

| Private Reply
PS: I like lime juice and peanuts in my Coke. My friends in Lerdo think (correctly) that I am loco. And they are quick to say so.

Rolly Pirate

Bubba

Dec 8, 2005, 11:23 AM

Post #15 of 27 (6641 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Dr. Pepper

| Private Reply
Actually, Rolly, the best soft "drank" of all time was Lime Cola but they seem to have disappeared back about 1955 which was a shame because Lime Cola decals were used to define cross walks in the 50s in the deep south. They love Coc'ola in Mexico and Coc'ola Mexico don't( Southern conjugation) know this but every day before Lake Chapala refilled itself the Coc'ola truck driver would drive that big ole truck down to the edge of the shrunken lake behind the foliage that gave him privacy, go to the john in the reeds and have a nice nap.

I take back my disparaging words about Dr. Pepper drinkers. They are simply misguided souls in search of the greatest real drink ever invented; Country Club Malt Liquor, which I took up about age 12 soon after Lime Cola disappeared. There was no cane sugar in that baby.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Dec 9, 2005, 8:12 AM)

Rolly

Dec 8, 2005, 11:45 AM

Post #16 of 27 (6634 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Interesting about Lime Cola decals. Dr Pepper did the same thing in Austin, TX back in the 30's and 40's. They were brass medallions with the Dr Pepper name and their slogan "10, 2 and 4." How 'bout that! They advertised drinking DP three times a day. No wonder we all grew up with bad teeth.

Rolly Pirate

carlw

Dec 8, 2005, 1:55 PM

Post #17 of 27 (6626 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Dr. Pepper was, of course, invented in Texas by a Texas Pharmacist in Waco and then later mass produced in Dublen, just down the road. Many Texans of every stripe do indeed drink Dr. Pepper and have been for a hundred years (not the same Texans but different ones). There are even museums for Dr. Pepper which serve as a field trip event for millions of Texas school children. The earlier, pharmaceutical version of Dr. Pepper may have provided some different sort of satisfaction than the modern caffeine diet version.

dolores57

Dec 8, 2005, 2:51 PM

Post #18 of 27 (6617 views)

Shortcut

Re: [carlw] Dr. Pepper

| Private Reply
Could someone clue me in on this DR Pepper thang. Corn syrup? cane sugar? I like doc pepper but I want to make sure I get the real hard core stuff. Does coke taste the same down there as nob? Last time I was in Mexico I did not drink any cause I was busy drinkin(since we have all gone southern) thay yummy grapefruit soda y'all have down there but when I was in Mexico in the 60's I remember thinking it did not taste the same as nob....of course it does not taste the same NOB now as it did NOB in the 60's......was that as clear as mud? d

sfmacaws

Dec 8, 2005, 5:14 PM

Post #19 of 27 (6608 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dolores57] Dr. Pepper

| Private Reply
Coca Cola is also better in Mexico for a couple of reasons. One is that it is still made with cane sugar although that could change in the future. The second is that you can still buy it in small glass bottles, makes it taste much better and more like the Coke of your childhood.

The mexican tarif protections that kept Coke using cane sugar and not corn syrup have been removed. Last I heard Coca Cola de Mexico was deciding whether to switch to corn syrup or not. My guess is that they will, it's cheaper. But the "Real Thing" made with cane sugar and bottled in glass sure tastes a whole lot better than the NOB version.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Bubba

Dec 9, 2005, 8:17 AM

Post #20 of 27 (6595 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Dr. Pepper

| Private Reply
Those little glass bottles of Coke are way mo'bettah than Coke in plastic. I used to buy them in California and the bottles always said, "Made in Mexico". I used to pay a premium price for them little bitty bottles and drink the Co'cola ice cold. Good stuff.

sfmacaws

Dec 9, 2005, 10:33 AM

Post #21 of 27 (6580 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Yup. I used to buy them in San Rafael as a treat. Now we bring a case of them back every year as gifts, amazing how happy people are to get a couple of small cokes.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

jswarts

Dec 9, 2005, 8:45 PM

Post #22 of 27 (6559 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I am so sad you deleted you post! At least I got to read it before you did. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. I'm talking gut-busting, tears-streaming-down-my-face laughter. I was trying to read it out loud to my husband and couldn't get through the whole thing. He finally had to come over and read it for himself. I was so tickled I couldn't think of anything clever to say, so refrained from posting. Then got real busy and haven't checked back 'til now. I think you should put it back so everyone can enjoy it. PUT IT BACK!

(This post was edited by jswarts on Dec 9, 2005, 10:41 PM)

sfmacaws

Dec 9, 2005, 9:06 PM

Post #23 of 27 (6555 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Bummer! Bubba was hit by the delete fairy again I'll bet. Wish I'd seen it too.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

esperanza

Dec 9, 2005, 9:38 PM

Post #24 of 27 (6547 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Dr. Pepper

| Private Reply
Look up-thread. Bubba deleted his own self.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

sfmacaws

Dec 9, 2005, 10:29 PM

Post #25 of 27 (6542 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Dr. Pepper

| Private Reply
Oh! Now I see. I did read that one, it was pretty funny but I really loved Rolly´s answer.

Well that´s a switch, folks deleting their own posts before the delete fairy gets to them.

Gave you a sense of power huh Bubba? That'll show them!

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4