Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

LadySlipper76

Nov 29, 2005, 9:40 AM

Post #1 of 9 (2351 views)

Shortcut

Space saver luggage that you squeeze all the air out of

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi all, I've looked all over and can't find a definitive answer to my question. This next spring I will be taking a trip to Michoacan. My luggage is always delayed or lost on domestic flights, so I imagine the same would happen on international. I want to avoid those problems by only having a carry-on bag. To do this I want to use the luggage space saver bags that you squeeze all the air out of, not the vacuum ones. My question is this: Are using those bags allowed through customs? Thanks, Tamara

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on Nov 29, 2005, 10:06 AM)

sioux4noff

Nov 30, 2005, 8:07 PM

Post #2 of 9 (2301 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LadySlipper76] Space saver luggage that you squeeze all the air out of

Yes, I have taken them through customs. Why wouldn't you be allowed to? I have never had to open any plastic bag I have carried in my luggage.

sandykayak

Dec 7, 2005, 1:31 PM

Post #3 of 9 (2222 views)

Shortcut

I had been having trouble finding the smaller sizes.

Linens 'n Things has 3 large and 3 small/medium in a box for $14.99. These have a purge valve you roll them and purge the air. ie not the vacuum cleaner type.
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

Cynthia7

Dec 7, 2005, 8:05 PM

Post #4 of 9 (2195 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] Space saver luggage that you squeeze all the air out of

I think they only make 3 sizes..jumbo,large and medium. Have you purchased the small size?

LadySlipper76

Dec 7, 2005, 8:39 PM

Post #5 of 9 (2192 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] Space saver luggage that you squeeze all the air out of

They come in small, medium, large & jumbo. Go to:

www.SpaceSaverBag.com

That's where I found all the sizes.

Glad these bags pose no problem when traveling. Thought maybe after they tightened security, post 9-11, they might have issues with using them.

~Tamara

cristalhombre

Dec 7, 2005, 11:13 PM

Post #6 of 9 (2185 views)

Shortcut

I have used "sucky bags" for travel to MX and it's no problem with customs. The problem is weight. These things will shrink a king size bed blanket down to the size of a hand towel, great for packing. However, the airlines are getting much more "regulatory" with baggage weight, and as I recall 50 pounds is the limit. It used to be that Mexicana Airlines took boxes the size of a small Buick.....NO MORE. If you pack a big suitcase with "sucky bags" make sure you weigh it in advance.

I am not sure about the 50 pounds, but I know it's less than it used to be.

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

Judy in Ags

Dec 20, 2005, 7:23 AM

Post #7 of 9 (2123 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cristalhombre] Space saver luggage that you squeeze all the air out of

We just flew out of Guadalajara the other day and one of our bags exceeded the 50 pounds. The checker commented on it and we thought we'd have to pay the $25.00, but nothing more was said about it.

Gayla

Dec 20, 2005, 9:22 AM

Post #8 of 9 (2113 views)

Shortcut

A year ago I flew Continental out of Oaxaca on one of those small jets bound for Houston. My suitcase weighed 42 kilos, which was, well, quite a few kilos too many. With no space in my carry-on to move things around, I was slapped with the excess baggage fee. It's not cheap, $100USD to get my stuff home. I found out after the fact that Continental out of Oaxaca is pretty notorious for charging the excess baggage fee whenever they can because they know tourists/art collectors tend to make major purchases in and around Oaxaca and will pay to get there purchases home. I'm living proof of that :-).

I recently flew out of D.F. on AeroMexico on an MD-80 jet. My suitcase (the same one I took on the Oaxaca adventure) wasn't quite as heavy as when I left Oaxaca, probably around 33-35 kilos. No excess baggage fee and the ticket agents didn't even question it. I'm guessing a lot has to do with the size of the jet, the airport from which you depart and how full the plane actually is.

Miguel Palomares

Dec 20, 2005, 2:05 PM

Post #9 of 9 (2093 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
 It must vary according to the airline. We always use Delta to fly to the U.S. Their weight limit is 50 pounds for domestic flights but 70 pounds for international jaunts.
From Tzurumutaro, Michoacan, "The Village of the Darned."

The nuts and bolts of moving to Mexico:
http://michaeldickson.blogspot.com/
The dark side of living in Mexico:
http://mexicopeeks.blogspot.com/
Scintillating life in a Mexican pueblo:
http://tzurumutaro.blogspot.com/
http://tzurumutaro2.blogspot.com/

(This post was edited by Miguel Palomares on Dec 20, 2005, 2:07 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4