Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

alex .

Nov 22, 2005, 8:24 AM

Post #1 of 5 (2133 views)

Shortcut

checklist for December travellers

Can't Post | Private Reply
Remember that Mexican officials LOVE documents, so make sure that you have them, and copies, ready. The following list includes copies that are not necessary, however, they will satiate the appetite of the aduana/migracion:
1. FMT, stamped paid, and a copy.
2. PASSPORT, and a copy.
3. a valid DRIVER LICENSE , and a copy, both sides on one page if you can.
4. a current VEHICLE REGISTRATION , and a copy.
5. original car TITLE, and a copy.
6. a credit card, and a copy.

If you can get color copies thats even better. Also, make sure that all the addresses on the documents match. Quite often we may have changed address since the car title was issued. There is still time to get a new title cut with the current address. You need to have #1 completed before you can import the car. Now folks will tell you that they got by with just a copy of the title, or that they were able to get the car permit before the FMT was paid, that they used their ex-wife's credit card, and other similar stories. No doubt, but you really do not want to be backed up at ,say, km 21 on the 15 during the Christmas rush and have a problem, I'm guessing. Have some pesos ready in case the day that you arrive they aren't accepting dollars. It could happen. Follow this recipe and you will have your 180 days granted, various rubber stamps applied, all with a smile.
Que les vayan bien,
Alex

dolores57

Nov 22, 2005, 10:30 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2104 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] checklist for December travellers

Alex Very thoughtfull thanks d.

gpk

Nov 22, 2005, 11:51 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2091 views)

Shortcut

Great information. Also, everyone spending time up north this Christmas, bring back some interesting information/news for those of us who have forgotten about life up there--keep some grocery store or other receipts, hotel costs, border information, weather reports, etc. Merry Christmas and post the news when you get back!

alex .

Nov 22, 2005, 2:26 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2066 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] checklist for December travellers

I told my wife that she has $2000 USD to visit her mom + any sightseeing along the way. I also told her, to make sure that we stay under budget, is that any unspent funds she can keep. I have a feeling we'll be sleeping in the car and eating beans ! It should be an interesting report in January.
Alex

hoyafb95

Nov 29, 2005, 7:23 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1957 views)

Shortcut

At Laredo...they had a place in the Banjercito that made copies. We politely told Banjercito we have our own copies but they claimed they were not copied precisely right and asked us to get copies made at the copy center next to them (sounds like money making to me) and the copies looked no different than the ones we had.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4