Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

renko

Nov 21, 2005, 11:52 AM

Post #1 of 6 (6161 views)

Shortcut

bringing food into Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are planning to spend 3 months in Ajijic this winter and are driving down in January. I have several food allergies and food sensitivities and need to bring some of my special foods with me. Will Mexican customs stop me from bringing in things like special cereals and dried fruit (unsulphered).

Rolly

Nov 21, 2005, 12:26 PM

Post #2 of 6 (6142 views)

Shortcut

Re: [renko] bringing food into Mexico

If they are in factory-sealed packages, you might get away with it. The law says no plant or animal material, but often packaged good are allowed. Depends on the inspector. And you may not get searched at all. Don't bring more than you can afford to loose.

Rolly Pirate

Bloviator

Nov 22, 2005, 2:35 PM

Post #3 of 6 (6012 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] bringing food into Mexico

I bring back Hebrew National weiners every time I cross from CA. I get a green light regularly. No inspector has said anything yet, though they never look very hard and I don't know if they have seen them.

1ajijic

Nov 22, 2005, 3:10 PM

Post #4 of 6 (6003 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] bringing food into Mexico

We regularly bring back all sorts of goods not available here. I think they only want to be sure that you won'tbe reselling something. You are allowed to bring in stuff for your personal use. There are guidelines on this site. Once my husband brought in six half gallons of Jack Daniels for a friend. We got the red light. When the inspector opened the bag my husband said, "para mi amigo". The inspector wagged her index finger as only a mexican woman can and we were off. Another inspector might have taken it. Luckily for us and our friend she wasn't a Jack Daniels fan!
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

Bloviator

Nov 23, 2005, 5:25 AM

Post #5 of 6 (5958 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] bringing food into Mexico

Sorry I meant red light

zoeq1000

Nov 25, 2005, 4:46 PM

Post #6 of 6 (5864 views)

Shortcut

Re: [renko] bringing food into Mexico

We've had no problems with food, only crossing back into the US were we asked. I've brought in Maple syrup and lots of dried fruit and spices and canned goods. No one has ever even looked at it. Wine, too. But only the three bottles per person in case someone does look.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4