Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Bubba

Nov 21, 2005, 9:07 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1655 views)

Shortcut

Mexican Yoghurt

Can't Post | Private Reply
I love Mexican yoghurt. I bought my usual Lejaim Natural Yoghurt, which is made in Zapopan, Jalisco and must say that this yoghurt is far superior to the product one normally gets in the United States or in Mexico for that matter. It is sharp and less viscuous than the insipid U.S. variety. It is the first yoghurt I have found in North America that is worthy of this great East Indian recipe. Please do not try to make this with yoghurts that lack the characteristics of Indian yoghurts.

LASSI

1 Cup of Lejaim Natural Yoghurt (make sure this is unsweetened)
1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin (preferably made with toasted cumin seeds fresly ground in a mortar)
1 Teaspoon Salt
3 Cups Very Cold Water

Zap all this in your blender. You can add mint if you like.

People in Southern India drink this refreshing drink with their often very spicy food. It is considered a couterpoint to the food that makes the spices easier to ingest. I believe it would go well with Mexican cuisine as well although Mexican food is far less spicy.

I'll bet you can buy the Lejaim style of sharp tasting yoghurts under different names all over Mexico. Watch out. Mexican yoghurts can be sweetened even if they are called "natural". Sugar will ruin this drink.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Nov 21, 2005, 9:17 AM)

gbatrucks

Nov 23, 2005, 1:29 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1596 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Mexican Yoghurt

Is that yoghurt available here at Lakeside?
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

Bubba

Nov 23, 2005, 4:40 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1593 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gbatrucks] Mexican Yoghurt

Yes.

gbatrucks

Nov 23, 2005, 6:19 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1584 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Mexican Yoghurt

UHH..OK...Where? Sounds like a great side for some Balti dishes I do. BTW, GOOD NEWS: they've got English Stilton @ Puritan Poultry. BAD NEWS: $400/KG
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

(This post was edited by gbatrucks on Nov 23, 2005, 6:20 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4