First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

macmember

Nov 15, 2005, 3:27 PM

Post #26 of 38 (1186 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Miguel Palomares] Help With Old Folks

Can't Post | Private Reply
Ditto on the relatives.

I have one son and the thought of him being responsible for my well being is a NIGHTMARE. He is a loving, sweet man but can't get out of his own way, except at a fire or a plane crash. (he is a firefighter/jet crash team) I'm not saying he would not try. He would lose me and my medication in the first hour. There is not much telling when or what I would eat, his music and TV choices would drive me insane. Our priorities are as far apart as could be. He still has the Christmas tree from last year hidden in the office upstairs, FULLY decorated. Can you see him dragging that 9 foot tree up the stairs, down the hall and under the door frame to the office? He said he lost about 1/2 of all the decorations on the way up. But he gathered them up and threw them in the room. That's probably where he stash me too.

LORD forgive me but I'd rather be be on that cactus with Palomares than have my Sister take care of me.

My Brother is far worse than my Son. His idea of cleaning up is to get garbage bags, put everything that is in his way into them and drag them out to the curb. It DOES NOT matter what it is or how much it cost or who it belongs to. I'd be afraid if I fell asleep, I'd wake up in a garbage bag at the curb.

I think the idea of spending all of our money and saving one bullet a piece (my husband and myself) might be the way to go. I'm not fond of pain and agony anyway.

By the way, Palomares....what are Dalmanes? And why the tea and toast 6 hours earlier?

Beverly

Miguel Palomares

Nov 15, 2005, 3:39 PM

Post #27 of 38 (1184 views)

Shortcut

Re: [macmember] Help With Old Folks

Can't Post |
Dalmane is the brand name of flurazapam, a sedative, according to my pill book.

The tea and toast are to keep you from getting so hungry that you just throw up your hands and head to Burger King! Heck, I do not know the answer to that. I do know that it takes about 4-6 hours for food to move through and out of your tummy.

So, if you do the tea-and-toast routine, I imagine it would keep your panza from growling too much and distracting you, but it would be out of your tummy six hours later, providing a nice landing pad for the, uh, good stuff.

I still would prefer going over the ledge with the delicious-lipped Geena Davis.

From Tzurumutaro, Michoacan, "The Village of the Darned."

The nuts and bolts of moving to Mexico:
http://michaeldickson.blogspot.com/
The dark side of living in Mexico:
http://mexicopeeks.blogspot.com/
Scintillating life in a Mexican pueblo:
http://tzurumutaro.blogspot.com/
http://tzurumutaro2.blogspot.com/

sandykayak

Nov 15, 2005, 3:55 PM

Post #28 of 38 (1180 views)

Shortcut

Re: [macmember] Help With Old Folks

That reminds me of something I read:

"Be good to your children. They will be the ones to choose your nursing home."
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

ecollard

Nov 15, 2005, 7:10 PM

Post #29 of 38 (1160 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Help With Old Folks

I've been thinking lately about the absence of hospice programs (not necessarily residential) here. In the past few years, I've been part of a caregiving team for two dying people. They were some of the most rewarding times of my life. I'm wondering if there are any hospice-trained nurses who live in the lakeside community, whether Mexican or foreigners. And I'm wondering if they do any volunteer or paid work as hospice caregivers. With hospice, people can stay in their homes or get end-of-life help wherever they're living. Eileen
Eileen

lmaxine

Nov 16, 2005, 12:41 PM

Post #30 of 38 (1121 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] Help With Old Folks

Slight correction to Sandy's post-Alicia has 2 facilities in La Floresta, and one in La Canacinta, not El Chante. I've visited folks in that one and they love it there. I've heard that one of her places in La Floresta is even nicer, and that one there has Alzheimers patients and other intensive care for those who need it. Alicia's is family-run and very loving.
I am also here for the long-run and if/when I need more help, I believe I could be maintained at my home with paid helpers

In Reply To
. If more help is needed, or I don't want to maintain my home, I'd probably opt for Alicia's.
"He upon whose heart the dust of Mexico has lain will find no peace in any other land." Malcolm Lowry

MariaLund

Nov 16, 2005, 3:31 PM

Post #31 of 38 (1099 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Help With Old Folks

My post somehow disappeared. I was agreeing with Miguelito that I would not want to entrust myself to any relatives, no matter how nice and of what nationality and musing that I knew what I would be doing if I lived too long to be able to care for myself: I would choose a Swedish managed, staffed by Swedish nurses (of both sexes) old folks home located somewhere in the Mediterranean region of Europe - our lovely Swedish national health insurance now covers such an option.

If - in your comment on languages you refer to my motto "Vivere non est necesse, navigare necesse es!", it is in Latin (non Spanish) from an Odyssey by Homerus - or rather a Latin poem about Odysseus, and it means: it is not necessary to live, but to navigate (=travel, since they ancient Greeks traveled by sea) or - in loose translation: Staying alive is not as important as exploring. My life's motto. :-)
Vivere non est necesse, navigare necesse est!

(This post was edited by MariaLund on Nov 16, 2005, 3:38 PM)

song_of_joy

Nov 16, 2005, 4:19 PM

Post #32 of 38 (1085 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ecollard] Help With Old Folks

I believe there is a hospice in Guadalajara. If you like, I can make some calls and get more information.

Gringal

Nov 16, 2005, 4:38 PM

Post #33 of 38 (1081 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MariaLund] Help With Old Folks

How fortunate for you to have the Swedish health care system.

It's been long since my Latin days, but I did get the idea. My problem with the quote is the basic premise as it applies to the options of aging people.
When I can no longer be an adventuress, I aspire to be a proper crone. Life will still be rich. Or am I missing something in your meaning?

(This post was edited by Gringal on Nov 16, 2005, 4:53 PM)

MariaLund

Nov 16, 2005, 8:18 PM

Post #34 of 38 (1058 views)

Shortcut

Gringal, my quote was not meant to be directly applicable to the options of old people. My response - which disapperad somehow - had. Thus what appeared as my response did not make any sense, I agree.
Vivere non est necesse, navigare necesse est!

Bloviator

Nov 17, 2005, 7:46 PM

Post #35 of 38 (1010 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MariaLund] Help With Old Folks

Since I have just flown to California to find a leak in our water system rather than depend on a relative or a plumber to take care of the problem, I have to also agree. I'm not real good at depending on others to take care of my problems.

I don't want to have to depend on relatives or even kind Mexicans to ease my final years, though my daughter has promised to take care of me and wipe the drool from my aging chin. While I wouldn't mind living in splendor on the Riviera, in Sweden with gorgeous blonde nurses (what a waste for them - I hope if that happens I don't get altzheimer's.), or in my personal favorite The Manor in Medford, Oregon where my mother spent her final years in dignity and in control of her own destiny; having seen the Casa del Lago/Casa de Ancianos, I no longer worry about what will happen. I would have no qualms about spending my final days there. Besides, it's only a three hour flight from San Diego and my daughter can visit regularly to wipe away the drool, even though the wonderful staff there would never allow it to accumulate.

Check it out on December 3 at the Open House/Art Show. I hope none of you are figuring out that I have an ulterior motive for keeping this discussion alive.

Bloviator

Nov 30, 2005, 4:23 PM

Post #36 of 38 (942 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Help With Old Folks

Evidently all of you figured out my ulterior motive as the discussion came to a screeching halt.

Now, however, I am fulfilling my promise to give more information as the time approaches - quickly.

I hope that some of you will be able to join us. We have been able to secure a large variety of raffle items, including dinners from most of the local (Ajijic) restaurants.

The open house is to be from 2 to 5 at the Casa del Lago/Casa de Ancianos de Chapala home in Chapala. You get there by going to the Chapala Pemex station near Sorianos and then following the signs that we will have posted that day.

For those of you attending the St. Andrews event or others that day, drop by after you go there. We are only about five+ minutes from St. Andrews. Go on down the Carreterra from Riberas, turn left at the main corner in Chapala and then half right at the Pemex station.

For those who read the Chapala.com webboard, you will see a lot of unsolicited positive comments about the Casa after I posted an invitation to those who lurk there. It was most gratifying. Although I am totally sold on the Casa, I did not expect such an outpouring of praise for the efforts of Marlene Dunham and her staff.

Incidentally, the profile of Marlene and the Casa that I mentioned previously is also available on: http://www.chapalareview.com/artprofiles.html.

I'm sure hyou will enjoy the day if you join us - good art, good food, good companionship, and a chance for lots of great prizes.

Goody2shs

Dec 3, 2005, 1:07 PM

Post #37 of 38 (850 views)

Shortcut

Hello Dick and Doris,

sorry to be so late with this, but Howard and I just now had the distinct pleasure of reading the thread about your Casa Del Lago event today. Miguel's contribution, of course, as always, was noteworthy, as the visual of the cactus situation brought tears to our eyes.
Gosh, I wish we could be there to help and be a part of this worthwhile event. I know Doris has put her heart and a lot of work into this project and it certainly deserves to be supported. But unfortunately due to the uninvited illness I acquired during our visit, we had to leave earlier than expected. Thankfully, recovery is in progress now.

Wanted to tell you once again what a great time we had meeting you and many others and also thank you for your gracious hospitality. We had a blast and are still amazed at the friendliness of everyone we met, something that is so difficult to find in the frozen North where everyone stays inside to keep warm I suppose and therefore never gets to talk to anyone. Tough situation, wish I had a magic wand to change things here to make it a friendlier land. But that's a whole other subject. Have to dig into that one some day.

I am certain that we will meet again as we definitely plan to revisit Ajijic in the future. As Doris said: "it gets in your blood"!!!

Wishing you great success with your art show, would love to see some of the things on display and for sale, and of course we'd also love to yell "gimme a beer!"

Best regards from Gudrun and Howard
Golden, CO
p.s. it's about 30 degrees here and snow on the ground, brrrr

Bloviator

Dec 3, 2005, 6:17 PM

Post #38 of 38 (836 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gudrunhoward] Help With Old Folks

Thanks for the posting. I appreciate very much the people who did make it to the event.

I was going to apologize because it was not what I had hoped. Then I decided that I did not need to do so. People seemed to have a good time and most stayed for the whole three hours. I promised good companionship. That seemed to have been true. I also promised to buy a beer for those who did come. I ended up buying several beers with great pleasure.

Thanks again to all who joined us. The event was a success. I know the St. Andrews event was a great success also. We had a hard time getting to Chapala past all the traffic going there.

All in all, a great day.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4