Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

gpk

Nov 9, 2005, 7:24 AM

Post #1 of 5 (2312 views)

Shortcut

Guadalajara restaurants

Can't Post | Private Reply
I will be in Guadalajara to see the Cirque du Soliel in a few weeks. I have visited Guadalajara many times and, frankly, I have never had a decent meal there. I will probably only be there for 2 days this visit. Where should I eat? (I don't know the city very well, I will probably stay in the centro or Chapalita areas.)

Uncle Jack

Nov 9, 2005, 9:33 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2301 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] Guadalajara restaurants

One of my favorites is an Argentine steak house called Estancia Gaucha. It's about a 50 peso cab ride from The Historic District. It's usually quite busy and whenever I've been there we were the only gringos in the place.

uj

song_of_joy

Nov 9, 2005, 9:33 PM

Post #3 of 5 (2270 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Guadalajara restaurants

Even better steaks (and La Estancia Gauch is really excellent) is La Matera on Av. Mexico.

Guera

Nov 10, 2005, 6:14 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2242 views)

Shortcut

Re: [song_of_joy] Guadalajara restaurants

I'm not sure what your definition of ''good '' is ...

my favorite used to be ''i Latina '' good food, better than many in Gdl, urban warrior attitude, but loud for those who aren't used to dining in Mex. go early there used to be very long waits...its on inglaterra ( not sure if it's changed its name I haven't been there in a while)
Cocina 88 (used to be La Valentina ) I think would fall into the good category
Blanco y Tinto (or vice versa ) is good...and you can get a decent glass of ''plonk'' which can be difficult in GDL.
Hacienda de la Mentirosa (I can't remember if the liar is female or male so check gender on the restaurant name ) is in the good category

Mont Juic - is ''good'' for post cirque drinks... you can order a Kir Royale which is exceptionally hard to find in GDL

Bon Appetit..

song_of_joy

Nov 10, 2005, 7:18 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2238 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Guera] Guadalajara restaurants

La Mentirosa is a lady (figures... probably owned by fibbing men).

I was there last Friday with the Mexpats group and it was wonderful!

I chuckled at the menu -- dishes named for classic Mex movies. One is "A Toda Máquina" that I saw for the umpteenth time on Televisa just a week earlier. I know the lines but I still laugh out loud every time I watch it. They're so silly -- great slapstick! (Like Luis Buñuel's "Al Son de la Marimba" -- an all time favorite and precursor of "The Discreet Charm....")

That put me in a good mood for the food, drinks and mariachi.

By the way, the service was excellent too.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4