Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

jfedorka

Nov 8, 2005, 11:14 AM

Post #1 of 5 (20537 views)

Shortcut

Spanish Language Schools in GDL

Can't Post | Private Reply
The forums were very helpful prior to my trip to Jalisco last May. Now, I'm planning to spend a month in Guadalajara. The purpose will be to take Spanish lessons at one of the language schools. I've taken a beginning class and have been doing some studying at home. Because learning in a vacuum is difficult for me, I feel a need to be immersed in order to get a jump start. My question is regarding GDL language schools. Since there are so many available, how does one go about choosing a school? Have any of you had good experiences with a particular school? Any recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks
Joe

jfedorka@mexconnect.com

patricio_lintz

Nov 8, 2005, 7:43 PM

Post #2 of 5 (20516 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jfedorka] Spanish Language Schools in GDL

I liked IMAC http://www.spanish-school.com.mx/
Went there for 4 weeks. Niece did a 4 week stint & liked it also.

jerezano

Nov 8, 2005, 7:44 PM

Post #3 of 5 (20516 views)

Shortcut

Hello,

I would recommend the IMAC Spanish school which is right down town center in Guadalajara. Easy walking distance to the Cathedral, the Plaza de Armas, etc. A very good typical Mexican coffee shop-restaurant nearby (Cafe Mitlo or some such name) where I ate almost daily at reasonable prices (about $5 us dollars a meal), good food, good service. It's been there for almost as long as I have been around (80 years). I used to enjoy watching old geezers play domino over a long drained cup of coffee while I ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner. A four star hotel is also nearby where the food was excellent and while meals ran about $10 us dollars each, the service was good and quick.

The school will recommend three posadas nearby with excellent accomodations and excellent student rates. The one I chose spoke very little English but had a free computer hook-up. The school is a very busy commercial school with lots of students most learning English. Their rates are excellent. I checked in for a week of Spanish early March of 2005 without matriculating on-line; they put me in a beginners class (10 of us gringos) and 20 minutes later they suggested I move to a more advanced class. We negotiated a one-on-one instruction period for a week which resulted in a substantial refund to me. Tuition includes texts, etc. All handled in a very professional manner. Google search for IMAC+Guadalajara and you will get their web pages.

The Posadas do not have parking. Parking is available, but can be more expensive than the Posada. Those rates will be negotiable too.

Adios. jerezano.

jfedorka

Nov 9, 2005, 11:01 AM

Post #4 of 5 (20500 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Spanish Language Schools in GDL

Thanks for the quick response. I looked up IMAC on the web and the programs look great. My concern is that my 63 year old brain is going to quickly go into overload attending 5 hours of classes per day for a month. Although the focus of the trip will be learning, the intensity appears daunting. Any thoughts on this? What can you tell me about your experience that might provide a better picture of the overall experience? Thanks again.
Joe

jfedorka@mexconnect.com

wstut

Aug 2, 2006, 7:18 AM

Post #5 of 5 (19669 views)

Shortcut

HI,

There are several Spanish Language schools in Gdl. IMAC is defenitly one of them but there are more like Vancouver Language Center, the uneversity of GDL and some others.

We have a language center as well. Feel free to have a look at our website. http://www.glc.com.mx

Wouter
Learn Spanish in Mexico

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4