Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

depue1

Oct 30, 2005, 5:53 PM

Post #1 of 10 (8521 views)

Shortcut

information wanted about living in Guaymas/San Carlos area

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello, We are retiring to Mexico in Apr. 2006. We wonder if anyone out there is living in the Guaymas/ San Carlos area , and what they could tell me about the area . Such as is there any problem getting things you need or want? Any large dept stores nearby? Where do you buy groceries etc. What about hospitals, or Medical care? How doe's the cost of living compare to other areas in Mexico? We had almost made up our minds on making Mazatlan our retirement home , but now are having second thoughts ,for various reasons. One of the reasons is $100,000.00 does not buy you a very nice home there these days, ( and then you may have to completely rebuild the house to make it habitable.) Not something I want to spend my whole retirement doing. We like the idea of living near the ocean , but it seems almost impossible in Mazatlan anymore , but I see beautiful new homes in San Carlos area for reasonable prices . Anyone out there have any input on the subject? I would appreciate hearing anything you can tell me. Thanks, Sandy in Ohio

raferguson

Oct 30, 2005, 6:39 PM

Post #2 of 10 (8513 views)

Shortcut

Re: [depue1] information wanted about living in Guaymas/San Carlos area

The forum below might be a good start.

http://www.vivasancarlos.com/bulletin/index.html

We plan to visit that area this winter, but not looking to relocate.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

mkirkpatrick

Oct 30, 2005, 7:38 PM

Post #3 of 10 (8504 views)

Shortcut

Hi.

We have been living in San Carlos for five years. We live in Loma Del Mar,which has been a very successful RV park for over 20 years. Many of the RVs have been added to over the years,with closed-in patios,bodegas and storage areas for boats etc. The park has 24 hour security,excellent pool and clubhouse facilities and a really easygoing community spirit. There is no real estate connection here,all sales are handled at no charge by selected volunteers,and incoming costs are minimal and regulated.

If you are coming down,give us a look-see. It costs nothing,and you may be pleasantly surprised.

San Carlos has just about all the services and trades that you will need,although prices are getting close to North American standards. The difference is that you get good results for your money if you are careful.

There are several excellent doctors available,and a local ambulance and emergency service here.

The city of Guaymas is some 15 km from here,with two large supermarkets,and all kinds of smaller businesses to serve you.

Check out the website siggested,or give me a holler for specifics.

We really like it here,and we are not multimillionaires!

Wanitajane

Nov 1, 2005, 9:45 AM

Post #4 of 10 (8448 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkirkpatrick] information wanted about living in Guaymas/San Carlos area

Don't forget that in San Carlos you're about an hour (or less) from Hermosillo, the capital of Sonora. Hermosillo is a beautiful, clean city, and has quite a few gringos living there. San Carlos is the place where Hermosillanos go on weekends.

Wanitajane in Phoenix

Esteban

Nov 1, 2005, 10:29 AM

Post #5 of 10 (8441 views)

Shortcut

I think you missed a lot of good deals in Mazatlan. They still exist. However, you have to look outside the Centro Historico. There are many places for sale, $50,000 USD and under, in good neighborhoods other than the Centro.

Marlene / Moderator

Nov 1, 2005, 9:13 PM

Post #6 of 10 (8418 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] information wanted about living in Guaymas/San Carlos area

I agree. There is a heck of a lot more to Mazatlan than the area being restored from ruins near Olas Altas Bay. The prices (to say nothing of the sales pitches) are suddenly rather eye-opening in this formerly neglected part of town. This area is such a small piece of Mazatlan. There are some very nice modern homes WAY under $100,000.00 in many other areas (homes that don't need renovating), all equally close to a decent swimming beach. Come on back for a second look.

mkirkpatrick

Nov 2, 2005, 6:25 AM

Post #7 of 10 (8409 views)

Shortcut

One item which may be of interest to those who will visit Sonora in the future is the creation of "free" vehicle importation to just south of Guaymas,at Empalme.

In other words,importation permits will not be required for entry into Mexico at Sonora crossing points,until arrival at Empalme.

The official location will probably be inaugurated during President Fox's next visit,indicated for later this year,and will mean that foreigners will not have to register their vehicles at KM 21(Nogales),but can do so at Empalme(if they intend to travel outside of Sonora).

The "Only Sonora" program almost certainly be dropped at that time,as unneccesary.

Tourist visas and customs procedures will continue to be handled at Nogales and other crossings.

Marlene / Moderator

Nov 2, 2005, 8:34 AM

Post #8 of 10 (8395 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkirkpatrick] information wanted about living in Guaymas/San Carlos area

Thanks for that information. It sounds as if that will simply things for many winter visitors and maybe even speed up the process for those continuing south into Sinaloa and beyond.

bournemouth

Nov 2, 2005, 12:36 PM

Post #9 of 10 (8377 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] information wanted about living in Guaymas/San Carlos area

There are reports on the San Carlos area fora that the extension of the free zone for vehicles has been delayed until March of 2006. I don't believe that any construction has started on the new module in Empalme. No-one seems yet clear on exactly where it will be but it will benefit those people travelling no further south than the Guaymas area.

depue1

Nov 2, 2005, 6:35 PM

Post #10 of 10 (8356 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] information wanted about living in Guaymas/San Carlos area

Thank you for your input on my post. I was really hoping some Mazatlan folks would reply. I am glad to hear there are still nice affordable homes available, and I am coming down next week to look around. Our Plane arrives early Sunday , so we are planning to join the Mazatlan group at their get together at the Los Flores hotel Sunday afternoon. Hope to see and meet some of you there , as I feel I know you already, I have been reading the forums for so long . I am excited to be on my way back to Mazatlan !!! Sandy, from Ohio

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4