Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

2mexico

Oct 29, 2005, 4:03 PM

Post #1 of 8 (3245 views)

Shortcut

Birth Certificates and Apostille - How Many Copies?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi All - I am going through the process of obtaining certified copies of our birth certificates and getting them further Apostille certified by respective Secretaries of State in anticipation of needing them when (if) we apply for IMSS health insurance coverage.

My question - is there any particular reason I should obtain more than one copy of our birth certificates, and get more than one copy Apostille certified as long as I am going to all this trouble? Or is a single well cared for copy sufficient for any anticipated purpose? I guess as long as the documents are kept track of and consistently returned by Mexican authorities when they have been requested a single copy would do, but wonder if anyone has experienced otherwise.

jennifer rose

Oct 29, 2005, 5:47 PM

Post #2 of 8 (3233 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stanwolf] Birth Certificates and Apostille - How Many Copies?

Can't Post |
One is sufficient, although a belt-and-suspenders type might want to have spare. Whenever I've needed to produce an apostilled copy of anything, the government or other official merely compares the original with a copy, returning the original to me.

julian3345

Oct 29, 2005, 8:38 PM

Post #3 of 8 (3216 views)

Shortcut

IMSS required a notarized translation of my birth certificate along with a couple of copies of the original to accompany my application for health insurance. They may have required copies of FM3 and passport...can't remember...I just take those with me automatically whenever I do anything bureaucratic in Mexico. I have not been asked for an apostilled document....YET! Joan

mparrino

Oct 31, 2005, 12:42 PM

Post #4 of 8 (3142 views)

Shortcut

The Mexican consulate in NY did not return my apostilled documents.
I recommend getting more than one copy while you're at it. Worst case you're out a few bucks. Best case you don't have to go through the process again.... yet.
Marcia

Marta R

Oct 31, 2005, 12:51 PM

Post #5 of 8 (3141 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mparrino] Birth Certificates and Apostille - How Many Copies?

Best check. I believe that the San Francisco consulate wants an apostilled document with a fairly recent date -- no more than one year? I can't remember.

Marta

gpk

Oct 31, 2005, 2:06 PM

Post #6 of 8 (3123 views)

Shortcut

Re: [julian3345] Birth Certificates and Apostille - How Many Copies?

IMSS in Leon, Irapuato and San Miguel de Allende (all in Guanajuato) heve never required a birth certificate (apostilled or not) from me. Again, there really are no set rules for anything in Mexico. IMSS doesn't even want to see my visa anymore (I am not sure they ever did). Maybe things were easier 5 years ago.

Bubba

Oct 31, 2005, 2:34 PM

Post #7 of 8 (3115 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] Birth Certificates and Apostille - How Many Copies?

For the first time in 5 years the immigration required an apostille marriage certificate from us for our FM2. They compared the copy to the original and returned the orginal.

Oscar2

Oct 31, 2005, 4:59 PM

Post #8 of 8 (3080 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] Birth Certificates and Apostille - How Many Copies?

If originally one gets their IMSS issued in Guad, and time comes for renewal but say your closer to Tijuana when itís due, can one renew in TJ by going to that local office, showing them your current card and your current FM3? Also does anyone know what the current fee is for over 60?

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Oct 31, 2005, 5:02 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4