Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

caldwelld

Oct 28, 2005, 12:37 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1534 views)

Shortcut

Mexican fruit

Can't Post | Private Reply
Can anyone tell me a good web reference with pictures of tropical fruits and (hopefully) their Mexican names. I bought what I was told by the shop attendant was a Guayabana although my neighbor says it is a Cherimoya. Niether name returns a very satisfactory Google result with a picture that fits the description. It is roughly round (actually sort of avocado cum mango shaped) and in my market about two to four times the size of an avocado. It has a green skin with distinctive spines all over it and the attendant said it would be ripe to eat tomorrow. What is it and what do we do with it?
dondon

Anonimo

Oct 28, 2005, 2:19 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1523 views)

Shortcut

Re: [caldwelld] Mexican fruit

This is a great foods resource; The Cook's Thesaurus. http://www.foodsubs.com/

This page, on exotic tropical fruits, may have what you seek.http://www.foodsubs.com/Fruittroex.html
Scroll down to see a Chirimoya (variously spelled).

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

juditha16

Oct 28, 2005, 2:43 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1519 views)

Shortcut

Re: [caldwelld] Mexican fruit

My Cuban neighbor here in south Florida just gave me a fruit from her tree that looks like what you describe. She said it is a cross between a Charamoya and an Atamoya and is called anan. (All these spellings are guesses on my part.) We haven't tried it yet. We have to wait for the little spines to darken. It's supposed to have a lot of seeds, but the fruit is puported to be creamy like pudding and very delicious. Just slice it in half and eat it with a spoon. Vamos a ver.
Judith

caldwelld

Oct 28, 2005, 4:45 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1511 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Mexican fruit

Thanks. I think I know what I have now and I see there are a number of ways to use it. "Vamos a ver' as our friend from Florida says.
dondon

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4