Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

tfyoung

Oct 16, 2005, 7:49 AM

Post #1 of 7 (3279 views)

Shortcut

Flying to Veracruz?

Can't Post | Private Reply
We would like to visit the Veracruz/Xalapa area. I have tried to find a flight that arrives in Veracruz at a reasonable hour and also avoids a layover in Mexico City. (The altitude and pollution in the city have caused my family some problems in the past.) So far, this looks impossible. Any suggestions? We will be coming from Jackson, MS.

Ed and Fran

Oct 16, 2005, 7:56 AM

Post #2 of 7 (3275 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tfyoung] Flying to Veracruz?

My suggestion would be to fly to Mexico City and then travel by bus to either Xalapa or Veracruz. Busses between these cities are frequent, comfortable, safe, and inexpensive (relative to flying).

Easy connection by taxi between the airport and the bus terminal.

Regards

Ed

tfyoung

Oct 16, 2005, 8:00 AM

Post #3 of 7 (3274 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Flying to Veracruz?

How long is the bus ride from Mexico to Xalapa?

Ed and Fran

Oct 16, 2005, 10:32 AM

Post #4 of 7 (3265 views)

Shortcut

D.F. to Xalapa = 4-1/2 hours
D.F. to Veracruz = 5-1/2 hours

Check out ADO-GL, which is ADO's better bus class. They look to average 6-8 departures daily.

www.adogl.com.mx

Linea Uno (deluxe) also runs these routes, with about 5 departures daily, but their website www.uno.com.mx is being reworked and is not available at this moment.

You can find both these lines uner www.ticketbus.com.mx also. Even if you're not buying your tickets through ticketbus, you can use their computerized schedules to find departure times and en route durations for any of the routes of the bus lines they handle.

Regards

Ed

eportis

Oct 16, 2005, 6:32 PM

Post #5 of 7 (3248 views)

Shortcut

If you fly into Mexico City, you can take a bus directly from the airport to Puebla, which is directly on the way to either Xalapa or Veracruz. I don't know if changing buses in Puebla is more time consuming than taking a taxi to the bus station in Mexico city, but it is certainly easier; and if a layover is necessary Puebla is a relatively manageable and pleasant city.

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Oct 18, 2005, 10:20 AM

Post #6 of 7 (3225 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Flying to Veracruz?

¡Hola, amigos costeños!
Thankyou Ed, Fran and Ed for your valuable support and information for this forum! Unfortunately Continental Airlines is the only airlines which flies directly from the US(Houston) to Veracruz, and so the prices are usually very high($650 or more) since most passengers are bussinessmen or well heeled Jarochos. This last September I left Spokane, WA at 5 AM PT and arrived in Xalapa before 9 PM CT, flying to Mexico City, taking a ticketed taxi to the TAPO bus terminal and the an UNO bus home. It was a tiring trip, but the excellent and comfortable UNO bus made it much easier(by far better than America Worst Airlines!).
Come visit us soon and then go to the Hotel Istirincha(www.hotelistirincha.com) up the Gulf coast to bird watch since Veracruz is one of the main migration routes of many species of birds and insects.
¡Hasta pronto, amigos!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

trpt2345

Feb 21, 2006, 2:52 AM

Post #7 of 7 (3128 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
We would like to visit the Veracruz/Xalapa area. I have tried to find a flight that arrives in Veracruz at a reasonable hour and also avoids a layover in Mexico City. (The altitude and pollution in the city have caused my family some problems in the past.) So far, this looks impossible. Any suggestions? We will be coming from Jackson, MS.

I am planning to fly to Vera Cruz in April-I realize this is a little late for this particular discussion, but in general my wife and I have found it's much easier to fly directly into Veracruz on Continental from Houston. Drawback: the flight arrives at 11:00 p.m. and the return flight leaves at 7:00 a.m. Advantage: you don't have to deal with the Mexico City airport customs, the lines are very short in Vera Cruz, and you get get to the portales by midnight, when it is generally going strong. The difference in price isn't that great: we got a rate of US$422 round trip from Chicago, whereas a R/T to Mexico City was US$380.

Let me introduce myself:my name is Michael McLaughlin. I play the trumpet and teach for a living in Chicago and my wife is Mexican. We are planning to move to Veracruz in the near future, which is where some of my wife's family lives. We have been going there for years and find it to be a diamond in the rough. I just joined mexico connect a few days ago and have found it a wonderful resource. I look forward to talking to all of you more in the future, maybe even visiting.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4