Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

bunny

Oct 12, 2005, 9:24 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1660 views)

Shortcut

new Mazatlan arrival reaching out

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello . . . I just wanted to introduce myself, and also see if there are any gringos on this forum with little kids. I'm a 43-yr-old single mom with a 2-yr-old and a 5-yr-old. We just drove down from Maine and are renting in Playa Sur until our tourist card runs out in April. I will be freelance copyediting from here, and the kids started at a school/guarderia this week. I drove down here with a friend, but her winter destination is Morelia . . . and now I'm thinking YIKES! Here I am in this city with my Tarzan Spanish and no friends. The potential isolation is unsettling. I've spent a lot of time in Mexico, but never totally alone with the kids. It looks like Maz will be a great place to spend the winter, but it would be lovely to connect with other English-speakers. Any advice about where to seek out gringo company, or just a hello, would be welcome. Thanks! Gretchen

misslyn

Oct 12, 2005, 4:06 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1642 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bunny] new Mazatlan arrival reaching out

Drop a line to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MazInfo/ and you'll find lots of nice folks.

Lyn in San Diego

Mod note: The two groups Mazinfo and Mazamigos have recently amalgamated so above info has been edited to reflect the valid link. There is also the group www.whatsupmaz.com

(This post was edited by Marlene on Oct 12, 2005, 9:25 PM)

Marlene / Moderator

Oct 12, 2005, 9:31 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1624 views)

Shortcut

Welcome Gretchen!

Walk along the seawall at sunset and then over to the Plazuela Machado for a bite to eat. There is a steady stream of winter folks arriving and before long there will be a large foreign winter population in the area. Everyone comes out at night after it cools down a little. Enjoy your stay in Mazatlan.

bunny

Oct 14, 2005, 7:44 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1589 views)

Shortcut

Thanks, folks . . . I will be following all your suggestions! Gracias,
Gretchen

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4