Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Sarkus

Oct 12, 2005, 8:57 PM

Post #1 of 11 (2335 views)

Shortcut

Internet access in SMA (with or w/out Eggs Benedict)

Can't Post | Private Reply
I hate to push my luck here but what's the story of internet access in the city. It would be nice to be able to access this forum or home (bail money?), when in town. Not sure I want to log the Apple so wondering if there are cafe's with computers and access. Sarkus

Anonimo

Oct 13, 2005, 12:38 AM

Post #2 of 11 (2326 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sarkus] Internet access in SMA (with or w/out Eggs Benedict)

I haven't accessed the Internet while in SMA (I was there waaay back, when the preferred mode of communication was carrier pigeon), but, if it's like any other Mexican city, it's likely that there's a cibercaf at least one per block.

I just Googled, and found at least one cyber cafe in SMA, here: http://www.internetsanmiguel.com/cyber-cafes.html

I don't think that you'll have any significant problems finding one or a dozen. Just be prepared for Spanish language Windows keyboards, sometimes with some of the letters worn off, and you'll be all set.
Just so you know in advance, the "@" symbol is called an "arroba", and it's made by keying ALT 6-4. Have fun!

Saludos,
Anonimo

D.G.

Oct 13, 2005, 6:58 AM

Post #3 of 11 (2313 views)

Shortcut

Yes, there are many publically accessible internet cafes in SMA. They use pc's not Apples.

Gringal

Oct 13, 2005, 8:13 AM

Post #4 of 11 (2296 views)

Shortcut

Since being un-wired was unthinkable, we brought a Toshiba laptop with us last year. We are on the outskirts of SMA on high-speed internet access through Cybermatsa, a reliable service with good support. We have VOIP too.
When you get to town, find the Plaza Conde Real shopping center up the hill near Insurgentes, the Tuesday market and the traffic circle around General Allende's statue. If you survive the traffic circle, head for the big building. This shopping center, though in sad disrepair, contains several things you will need, including the Gigante supermarket. It also contains the offices of Cybermatsa as well as a nice internet access facility next to the GNC nutrition/vitamin store. Don't know if they're Apples or PC's. If you sign up with one of the mail forwarding services (similar to Mailboxes etc.) like La Conexion (office on Aldama downtown or on Independencia in the outskirts), they have computers for your use in using the 'net. Generally speaking, SMA is a very "wired" town, so you'll have no problemo. Hope this helps.

For the Eggs Benedict, check out La Parrochia. Better yet, try their Mexican breakfasts and great omelets.

caldwelld

Oct 13, 2005, 8:40 AM

Post #5 of 11 (2290 views)

Shortcut

Did you mean LUG the Apple. If you decide to lug it, there are a number of spots where you can also get WYFI access around SMA - one in a restuarant on Aldama just off the Peroquia where you might even be able to get eggs benedict. Good WYFI in the biblioteca as well and there you can get a nice sandwich - not sure about breakfast but the setting is a feast in itself.
dondon

Chumley

Oct 13, 2005, 9:12 AM

Post #6 of 11 (2286 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Internet access in SMA (with or w/out Eggs Benedict)

Can't Post |
Best Eggs Benedict in town at El Pegaso. For comparison for others experience, check out the thread about Eggs Benedict on the food forum.

Gringal

Oct 13, 2005, 9:32 AM

Post #7 of 11 (2285 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chumley] Internet access in SMA (with or w/out Eggs Benedict)

I enjoyed Palomares posting about the godawful eggs benedict mit da cheese up in "Lakeside II". Other than the fact they're such fine artery cloggers, I love the little rascals when the cook knows how to do the Hollandaise. They're not bad at all at the Jacaranda brunch, either.

Late Riser

Oct 16, 2005, 3:56 PM

Post #8 of 11 (2194 views)

Shortcut

There are numerous cyber-cafes on streets all over town, I didn't see any Macs there, but lots of PCs.

When in San Miguel last summer, I "lugged" my wi-fi equipped laptop to: The Biblioteca; the Jardin (north side, facing the police station); and Mama Mia's while I enjoyed breakfast. Another tenant in our complex had her Apple hooked up to service for two months only with no problem.
Arlene

Sarkus

Oct 17, 2005, 10:32 AM

Post #9 of 11 (2155 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Late Riser] Internet access in SMA (with or w/out Eggs Benedict)

Thanks to all of you for your reply´s. They have been most helpful. SMA is an awesome place. As soon as I can quit my job, sell that drastically overpriced house in California, I´m coming back and buy another overpriced house around here. Since I´m six months out it´s too early to ask now but I´ll be asking for your help again. Wish I could return the favors to all and perhaps I´ll be able to when I return again. Good luck compadres.
Sarkus Tarzien

Gringal

Oct 17, 2005, 10:40 AM

Post #10 of 11 (2150 views)

Shortcut

When you do arrive, check out the "Slow Food" group here. Your skills may be a welcome addition to the scene.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Oct 17, 2005, 10:41 AM)

MARIA CUERVA

Oct 17, 2005, 12:05 PM

Post #11 of 11 (2137 views)

Shortcut

I recommend the Hotel Sautto. Lovely rooms, wonderful garden. I adore Olga. Felines galore. Cat food donations are appreciated. Artists are welcomed. Especially the ethereal kind. Lots of room to let one's spirit fly, analyse and abstract.
No internet access though.
HA HA HEE HEE
M & M SITTING IN A TREE
KAY EYE ES ES EYE EN GEE

(This post was edited by TATA CUERVA on Oct 17, 2005, 3:34 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4