Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Rocky57

Oct 10, 2005, 9:54 PM

Post #1 of 17 (6046 views)

Shortcut

Star Choice question...

Can't Post | Private Reply
A question to Lake Chapala area Star Choice subscribers. Is it possible to get the SciFi channel? After a lot of searching on www.starchoice.com and the internet in general, I fear the answer is no. But it never hurts to ask. They do seem to have a great selection of channels at not too bad a price.

Thanks,

Keith

The Elusive Grandpa Laugh

johanson / Moderator

Oct 11, 2005, 5:49 AM

Post #2 of 17 (6037 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rocky57] Star Choice question...

NO it is not there. But why do you not simply go the the www.starchoice.com web page and look at their programming package.

Rocky57

Oct 11, 2005, 11:45 AM

Post #3 of 17 (6018 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Star Choice question...

Thanks for the reply Pete. Of course I went and looked at their programming before I posted this question! I also know that there are two different sets of listing depending on what zip code you enter. If you enter a Canadian zip you get a completely different set of channels than if you enter a, say Idaho, zip. I was just hoping, on the off chance there was a way to order a U.S. version of the channels / packages. I agree the programming doesn't show any difference between U.S. and Canada options.

Thanks

Keith

johanson / Moderator

Oct 11, 2005, 1:02 PM

Post #4 of 17 (6010 views)

Shortcut

Hey Keith they don't have a US package as such set up for a US Zip code. In fact its in violation of the CRTC regulations to sell Star Choice to US or Mexican residents. It's just like DISH network, where the FCC forbits them to sell programming to persons who have permanent addresses in Canada or Mexico.

That said neither the FCC nor the CRTC seem to have any objections to snowbirds bringing their systems down here on a temperary basis.

Oh by the way to the best of my knowledge, the star choice programming guide doesn't reply to US ZIP codes; as I recollect they only work with Canadian Postal Codes which are a combination of letters and numbers like "T6L 3A4" . But why bother with postal codes? You can simply enter a Province. You can not enter a state.

Rocky57

Oct 11, 2005, 3:25 PM

Post #5 of 17 (5997 views)

Shortcut

Ah, but yes they do respond to U.S. zip codes. As I stated, I entered one for Mannitoba and one for Idaho (try 83704) and a totally different list of channels came up for each. Give it a try if you don't believe me. Don't know about the laws in the satellite business, but I do know how to click on a link!

I also found that one of the movie subscription channels also carries some of the SciFi channel programming but not all.

Keith

rickc

Oct 11, 2005, 3:48 PM

Post #6 of 17 (5992 views)

Shortcut

Hi Gramps,

As I remember, last time we were down we were watching SciFi movies and series on our host's Canadian TV with StarChoice. I cannot remember the name of the channel, or if it was science fiction all the time, but it seems to me that most of the day and into the evening they were showing that type programming.

Of course, that was a few months ago...

Rich Chambers
Navigating the Sea of Life..

johanson / Moderator

Oct 11, 2005, 8:16 PM

Post #7 of 17 (5979 views)

Shortcut

But Rocky, if you enter that zip code in the search engine in the Star Choice page you mentioned, you get a programming schedule for

Cableone - Boise - Digital (Postal Code: 83704)

That is not the programming schedule for Star choice.

(This post was edited by johanson on Oct 11, 2005, 8:17 PM)

Rocky57

Oct 11, 2005, 8:25 PM

Post #8 of 17 (5974 views)

Shortcut

It says Star Choice at the top of the page! While would a Star Choice page advertise for a U.S. company unless they were at least affiliated? But it seems to be important to you not to be wrong about this now doesn't it? Well, I figured to get some static from Bubba if I posted a question but not from you. Thanks for nothing!

Cynthia7

Oct 11, 2005, 8:42 PM

Post #9 of 17 (5971 views)

Shortcut

While you all are discussing tv..can you use a voip phone to order Pay Per View?

johanson / Moderator

Oct 11, 2005, 9:09 PM

Post #10 of 17 (5967 views)

Shortcut

Give me a break Rocky. You made an error; I politely corrected you. When I make errors, you guys correct me and not always politely, and that's OK, in fact it's kind of fun when someone like Bubba corrects me. I do not get upset, rather I learn from my errors.

You write "Well, I figured to get some static from Bubba if I posted a question but not from you. Thanks for nothing"

I am sorry you were offended. Understand though, that as moderator, it is my job to correct incorrect information. And what you wrote was incorrect.

johanson / Moderator

Oct 11, 2005, 9:16 PM

Post #11 of 17 (5965 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] Star Choice question...

Cynthia: I read on a sat TV forum that certain VoIP systems will work to order Pay Per View, if your virtual number is properly located. But I know of no one who has actually done it

Cynthia7

Oct 11, 2005, 9:22 PM

Post #12 of 17 (5962 views)

Shortcut

I asked at Radio Shack and they dialed Direct and the gal I talked to talked to some one else and her answer was "We see no problem"..so I wanted someone to have tried it..Thanks!!

Rocky57

Oct 11, 2005, 10:20 PM

Post #13 of 17 (5959 views)

Shortcut

And so was your data! So give yourself a break. Nothing I posted was incorrect. I asked a simple question and your comment was that I hadn't the sense to look at the programming available when I had posted the URL! You stated that the zip link would not take a U.S. zip code - wrong! It does.

Enough. Maybe I misread your intent in some of your seemingly condescending comments. If so I am sorry. I was and am simply looking for options to get some programming that I would really like to have. I thought that maybe some of the knowledge and experience that I find so useful down here might materialize. I don't know how such an innocent question went so awry.

johanson / Moderator

Oct 12, 2005, 12:17 PM

Post #14 of 17 (5938 views)

Shortcut

Rocky this what I wrote. And I am sorry it angered you

Oh by the way to the best of my knowledge, the star choice programming guide doesn't reply to US ZIP codes; as I recollect they only work with Canadian Postal Codes which are a combination of letters and numbers like "T6L 3A4"

I learned from you that you can enter a US ZIP code. I did not know that. My point was and still is that if you enter a US ZIP code, you get programming information back, but not about programming provided by Star Choice, but about programming offered by, for example, the local cable company offering service in that Zip code.

Try, for example, ZIP code 78045, the ZIP Code for Laredo, Texas. Once the data comes up, go to the top of the page, it states

"Time Warner Cable - Laredo - Digital (Postal Code: 78045)" and immediately below the web page lists channels starting with channel 2, then 3,4,5, etc.

Those are the local cable channels. Remember that Star Choice channels start at 200 and go up. If I did not respond correctly I am sorry, but I thought it was important for everyone to know that the programming shown is not necessary available on Star Choice. I believe you suspected that, I simply confirmed the fact

Rocky57

Oct 12, 2005, 12:33 PM

Post #15 of 17 (5934 views)

Shortcut

No harm, no foul. Still wish I could get SciFi.

Rolly

Oct 12, 2005, 12:56 PM

Post #16 of 17 (5931 views)

Shortcut

Can you get DishTV down there? It has the SciFi channel. They are also doing reruns of Deep Space 9 as well as ST-The Next Generation. I enjoy them every day.

Rolly Pirate

Rocky57

Oct 12, 2005, 2:26 PM

Post #17 of 17 (5925 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Star Choice question...

Yes we can get Dish but unfortunately the house I will be renting soon comes with Star Choice equipment. From the looks of it, Star Choice has a lot of good channel options and with not too bad a price tag. Hopefully the small satellite dish will still pull in the single well enough since they have switched to a new satellite. Fingers crossed. I did find that one of the Premium movie channels carries some of the Scifi programs, but not from the current years episodes. Oh well. Guess I should quit complaining and be happy of what is available.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4