Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

2mexico

Oct 10, 2005, 7:52 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2895 views)

Shortcut

Inexpensive hotel in Zona Minerva?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm planning a week-long visit to Guadalajara to check out residential neighborhoods mostly in Zona Minerva, and would like to go directly from the airport to a nice inexpensive hotel there when I arrive. The guidebooks mostly suggest Centro places, but I'd rather stay out West or Northwest near one of the colonias I'm interested in, like Chapalita, Vallarta San Jorge, or Providencia.

I'm hoping to find something around $50 US or less a night - a place with a little character, clean and safe in a nice location. Anyone have a suggestion for me? I speak passable Spanish so it doesn't have to be a tourist place. I doubt if a B&B will be available in this price range, but if there is one I'd like to hear about that too. Also, if anyone thinks I should just stay in Centro and use transit to visit the neighborhoods I'm interested in, any tips about good choices there are welcome.

esperanza

Oct 10, 2005, 8:45 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2890 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stanwolf] Inexpensive hotel in Zona Minerva?

Try Motel del Bosque, on Av. López Mateos. It's decent and close to the Minerva. The price might be a bit more than $50, but not too much more. Most of the hotels out this way are more expensive than that.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

2mexico

Oct 10, 2005, 9:30 PM

Post #3 of 5 (2889 views)

Shortcut

Wow, that was a quick reply - thanks Esperanza. I just picked up a new (Sept 2005) Moon Handbooks guide to Guadalajara, and they said nice things about Hotel del Bosque, with rooms starting around $66 - which they classify as mid-tier. Only three places listed under $50 - Hotel Windsor, Hotel Patricia, and Motel Nuevo Vallarta - all sound pretty basic. Worth the extra couple of hundred dollars for a week at del Bosque?

Also mentioned was B&B Casa Dalinda between Minerva glorietta and Av las Americas on Justo Sierra - but I haven't found any rate info for that yet.

esperanza

Oct 11, 2005, 6:07 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2879 views)

Shortcut

I'll be out and about later this morning and will drive by the B&B to see what it looks like. It's less than a minute from my house. If they'll let me in to see a room, I'll check out more than the fachada.

Stay tuned.

esperanza

Oct 11, 2005, 1:50 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2850 views)

Shortcut

The Dalinda B&B is nowhere to be found. The address and the building are there, but the building is vacant. It's at Justo Sierra 1825, two doors from the Consulado de Uruguay and several blocks east of Av. Chapultepec.

If it has a different address, let me know.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4