Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

KatieA

Sep 19, 2005, 11:38 AM

Post #1 of 12 (4418 views)

Shortcut

Custom made windows in Guadalajara or Colima?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi - I will be in Guadalajara in November to stock up on some materials to use on a house my boyfriend is building in Michocan. Specifically, we are in need of windows. (The windows are not standard sized.) We are clueless as to where to even begin looking. Does anyone have any recommendations for business locations in the Guadalajara or Colima area that build windows? If we have them built in Guadalajara or Colima is it likely that they can be delivered to our town in Michocan, San Juan de Alima? We plan to do alot of the remaining work ourselves, we are wondering if we buy tile or furniture or other items in Guadalajara if it difficult to have those items delivered. Trying to get a feel for how we are going to manage the rest of our project.

Iím a first time poster so go easy on me if Iíve made any forum faux pasÖ.thanks, Katie

Rolly

Sep 19, 2005, 3:08 PM

Post #2 of 12 (4404 views)

Shortcut

Re: [KatieA] Custom made windows in Guadalajara or Colima?

Katie,

Welcome to MexConnect.

You really should get your windows made locally for reasons that are spelled out in the post Wrought Iron Fence

You will also find a good bit of building information on my website. Start here for information about building windows: http://rollybrook.com/09-07.htm also read the next page in the series -- In fact you may find the whole story useful.

Best wishes,

Rolly Pirate

Carron

Sep 19, 2005, 7:24 PM

Post #3 of 12 (4380 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Custom made windows in Guadalajara or Colima?

While I have never lived in Guad or Colima, the two places we have remodeled in Chiapas and Coahuila have both been cement block houses to which we added custom made wrought iron doors and windows, then bought glass panels cut to order which Hubby and |I simply glazed into the wrought iron frames. Sounds expensive, but in reality very cheap. Yes, Mexican welders are true artesans and there always seemed to be a dozen within a couple of blocks of our houses. The glass we buy at a glass and mirror store. Simply make the measurements in centimeters, choose the thickness and tint from a sample display on the counter, and in a few minutes you have perfect panes. Take them home and seal them in. Nothing to it.

Don

Sep 19, 2005, 7:47 PM

Post #4 of 12 (4374 views)

Shortcut

I live about half way between Guadalajara and Colima. When we did our construction, all wood and metal doors and windows frames were made locally. A local glass company cut and installed the window panes. I am sure there are qualified people to solve your needs close to your town.

Esteban

Sep 20, 2005, 2:42 AM

Post #5 of 12 (4362 views)

Shortcut

Unlike the US, I've noticed that most window business' deal in custom window sizes. They take the measurements, come out and cut the pieces to fit the opening and you are off and running.

cristalhombre

Sep 24, 2005, 5:44 PM

Post #6 of 12 (4316 views)

Shortcut

Hi Katie,

I second Rolly's "welcome to M/C" greetings.

I have worked in the glass brokerage business (still do) for thirty years now. Every answer you have rec'd here so far, is fairly accurate. I thought I would maybe give you a little more depth in ventana products offered in MX. Or maybe I should say in the Lakeside area, where I spend time several times each year.

I have visited several local glass shops in Ajijic and Chapala and have found the following. There are four options for the frames. wood, steel, aluminum (anodized in bronze, black and sometimes I see gold finishes) and pultruded white/almond vinyl. I have listed those in the likely order as to cost, wood is the cheapest, at least that is my experience.

If your intentions are to create an archtecturally correct structure, perhaps with hacienda and mission features, then I would think your choices would be limited to wood or steel. I am having some wood replacement windows made right now and the workmanship is very good. These will have a rustico appearance, which I would like. It is important to seal the wood with a oil based solution that is non-toxic and not friendly to insects (not sure what that is yet...I am researching it).

The glass products available in MX are somewhat limited. Of course there is clear glass in various thickness, and some pattern glass (obscure with a pattern). Here in the states most ALL window glass is now coated with a low emissivity coatings to enhance solar control, to meet energy codes. In addition, codes will require that the glass is tempered (safety glass). These you will not find, or at least I have not been able to find it when asking the vendedors de vidrio in the lakeside area. I recall when the Guadalajara airport terminal was being remodeled in the past few years, with this large glass facade, about 1800 ft long and 30 feet tall, the glass is (annealed 9 mm. solex)......NO WAY that would ever fly in the US in an area that has seizmic codes, life safety codes and now we have to meet "blast resistance" in and around public areas like an airport. I was surprised somewhat.....but then again it is Mexico and codes are not at all established for glass from what I can tell.

Good luck!

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

Liz & Don Oakley

Sep 26, 2005, 7:57 AM

Post #7 of 12 (4290 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cristalhombre] Custom made windows in Guadalajara or Colima?

I'd be interested in knowing where you are having your wood windows made. We're about ready to start construction near Chapala and have been going back and forth about what material to use for the windows. We're still in Los Angeles, so it's difficult to check out the options. I did find that Pella windows are available in Guadalajara - wood with vinyl exteriors, but I suspect they would be very pricey.

cristalhombre

Sep 29, 2005, 7:03 AM

Post #8 of 12 (4247 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Liz & Don Oakley] Custom made windows in Guadalajara or Colima?

The gentleman's name is Sergio and he is a carpenter. I believe he lives in Ajijic. I am in the states too, so my information sourcing is limited too. I can not tell you how to get in touch with him as he works with the remodeling contractor. His work is great! He made 3 operable wood windows, casements (inswinging, like a door with hinges on the jambs, 2 stained + 1 painted) about 40" wide by 60" tall. installed them with hardware and a full screen on the exterior. As I recall these were under $100 usd each.

I am very happy with the outcome. He also rebuilt the closets and laundry room shelves.

Pella Products are excellent wood windows, if you are wanting SUPER high end products, those would be great. Remember you won't have to worry about air infiltration and U-value performance (heat loss) at Lakeside. Some solar heat gain control would be nice, but the low-e glass would be hard to find in all of MX. Pella would be very spendy in MX, I am guessing. If you are wanting a true Mexico look, I would find someone like Sergio. As many people will tell you the carpenters in MX are very good and I just really like the look of their handiwork (hand made).

PLUS.....you are employing someone locally, who NO doubt can use a couple extra bucks!

good luck

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

patricio_lintz

Sep 29, 2005, 5:31 PM

Post #9 of 12 (4227 views)

Shortcut

non-toxic (to mammals) insecticide

http://alsnetbiz.com/...ment/boric_acid.html

Boric acid solutions are cheap and effective insecticides.

Moisheh

Oct 1, 2005, 2:51 PM

Post #10 of 12 (4193 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Custom made windows in Guadalajara or Colima?

Although most of the people in this forum are further south than me (Sonora) I do not like nor would I ever again buy Mexican windows or patio doors. Here in the North heat gain and loss are very important. The Mexican windows do not seal well. You can feel the wind blowing between the glass panels. In the summer the a/c runs constanatly and in the winter the propane or electric bills are ridiculous. In any home the biggest heat loss is air infiltration. I estimate that the gaps in our windows (aluminium ) and doors are equivalent to having a 8 inch hole in the wall. I have seen some dual pane windows at Home Depot in Mexico. Rustico is nice to look at but not practical.

Cynthia7

Oct 1, 2005, 9:12 PM

Post #11 of 12 (4174 views)

Shortcut

Re: [patricio_lintz] non-toxic (to mammals) insecticide

That is a wonderful site.. I am hooked on sodium percarbonate...oxiclean..and to find I can buy it in its undiluted form makes me very happy. It is a wonderful substance -used in many things..like toothpaste and laundry products. It will clean almost anything..wonderful for spots and aged linens..Thanks for sharing.

Esteban

Oct 2, 2005, 12:21 PM

Post #12 of 12 (4156 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Custom made windows in Guadalajara or Colima?

Down here in Maz, you can buy good windows and even double pane windows. They seal well but you pay for quality. It's worth the money when you look at the AC bill at the end of the month. There are also some very well made aluminum doors that withstand the salt air and extreme humidity. They are not cheap. Everything is custom made and if you watch the construction, it should be fine. The good companies give guarantees and they stand behind their work. I take care of a 10,000 sq. ft. house and after 5 years, there have been very few problems with the doors and windows.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4