Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

2mexico

Oct 1, 2005, 11:17 AM

Post #1 of 6 (3400 views)

Shortcut

Looking for feedback on trip plans...

Can't Post | Private Reply
In order to gain a larger perspective on Mexico, and help us decide where to retire, a friend and I plan to spend about two weeks driving from Nogales to Michoacan and back over the Christmas/New Year holiday. In Michoacan we want to visit Morelia/Patzcuaro/Uruapan before heading North again. We have a Mexican campground book, and it looks like there are sufficient opportunities for places to stop along the way. One of us speaks passable Spanish.

We are two middle-age guys with previous experience visiting Yucatan for a week at a time, always arriving via air and staying put in a guest house in Merida. This road trip will be a lot different - we will be traveling with our beloved 10-year old 50-lb dog, and planning on a mix of tent-camping and motels (where a dog will be permitted) over a several-thousand mile path. Previously we have always visited Mexico seperately, because one of us had to be home with the dog - we won't board her - and we want to have a shared experience of Mexico as we consider our future retirement there.

Has anyone ever undertaken a similar road trip? We will be in a mid-size SUV (Nissan Xterra), and realize that travelling with a dog will somewhat limit our mobility in towns and cities.

Does this sound like a good idea? Any comments/suggestions/precautions? No doubt, if we do this it will be memorable - I just hope that they will be generally fond memories...

(This post was edited by stanwolf on Oct 1, 2005, 11:18 AM)

johnv

Oct 1, 2005, 6:43 PM

Post #2 of 6 (3367 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stanwolf] Looking for feedback on trip plans...

It sounds doable to me but you don't mention the time frame set up for such a trip. Your trip sounds like my first one to Mexico when I was 20, 2 guys and a girl in a 1956 VWbug. But we took 4 months to complete it. If your interest is Michoacan, then go check that out, but there are alot of other possibilities, if you are not short on time. Personally, I'd forget the yucatan. It has good water for diving and that's it, in my book. Otherwise it's hot and humid, and from my experience that gets real old real quick after a year or more. The highlands have perhaps one of the world's best climates. As far as coasts go, I love the Pacific, anywhere from Puerto Vallarta to Puerto Angel, but I just can't take the heat in my older age. Young people usually prefer the ocean, I know I did, but know I go fo rthe highlands. The Church and Church Camping guide is a good one , maybe you have it. Have good maps, the more the better. Good luck!

raferguson

Oct 1, 2005, 10:56 PM

Post #3 of 6 (3349 views)

Shortcut

I show Nogales to Morelia as about 1200 miles, so 2400 miles round trip. Take whatever miles you usually make per day in the USA and cut it by 20 to 50% in Mexico, unless you are on the toll roads, which tend to be expensive. Two weeks is not a lot of time, but you should be able to check out Michoacan, if you don't do much sightseeing between Nogales and Michoacan.

As far as money is concerned, you would probably be ahead boarding the dog in a kennel and taking the bus. You won't have time to do much sightseeing along the way even if you drive. Night driving is a no-no in Mexico, but the bus drivers know the road, so safer for them than for you.

My 2 cents.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

esperanza

Oct 2, 2005, 7:09 AM

Post #4 of 6 (3334 views)

Shortcut

There's one other thing to factor into your trip timetable. The time between December 16 and the end of the first week in January is traditionally vacation time here in Mexico. Many, many folks will be traveling: home to all parts of Mexico from the States, off to the beaches, to see the in-laws, and some will even be going to the places you mention, which are tourist destinations for foreigners and Mexicans alike.

Because of the influx of people from the States, time spent getting across the border will be longer than it normally is. There will be more traffic on the roads, and there will be some vacation revelers who drink and drive.

If it were me making this trip, I'd drive east through the USA and drop down into Mexico at Laredo. You'll be able to make much better road time on the US side--you can drive all night, if you and your pal want to trade off time at the wheel--and your actual drive to your destination in Morelia/Pátzcuaro/Uruapan will be shorter. You'll have more time to explore the areas you want to see. Then plan a different route home so you see another area of the country. Come back through Guadalajara and head north through Nayarit, Sinaloa, and Sonora, crossing the border at Nogales on the way home.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

zoeq1000

Oct 2, 2005, 8:48 AM

Post #5 of 6 (3317 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Looking for feedback on trip plans...

Eagle Pass is a good crossing. I found it very safe and quick.

hummer

Oct 3, 2005, 12:56 PM

Post #6 of 6 (3267 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Looking for feedback on trip plans...

I hate to be the person that says "me too" but in this case, Esperanza is right on. We have taken the route to the central highlands south from Nogales, south from New Mexico, and south from Laredo. The later wins hands down on ease and speed.

That said, there are slim pickings for campgrounds between Columbia and San Miguel de Allende. Once you get that far, camping picks up a bit. A couple of places in San Miguel, a couple in Guanajuato, a couple in Patzcuaro. The older Church book speaks of 2 in Uruapan but one has been converted to a parking lot with no camping. The other is sort of a campground. Where you cannot find campgrounds, ask about the balenarios. They often permit camping.

Definitely take the dog.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4