Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Yaxchibonam

Sep 30, 2005, 4:32 PM

Post #1 of 8 (3151 views)

Shortcut

DVDs purchased in Mexico

Can't Post |
I just bought three "El Simpsons" DVDs in a tianguis in Oaxaca and spotted others I would like to buy, but thought I'd ask people who might know whether these will be playable in the U.S when I return. On the label it says they are type 4 for playing in Mexico.
Thanks,
Lorena
Yaxchi

esperanza

Sep 30, 2005, 4:34 PM

Post #2 of 8 (3146 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lcassady] DVDs purchased in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
The USA is Region 1. Unless you have a multi-regional DVD player in the States, you'll only be able to play your Simpsons DVD in Mexico.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Papirex

Sep 30, 2005, 7:10 PM

Post #3 of 8 (3119 views)

Shortcut

Esperanza is right, The USA is region 1 and Mexico is region 4. I have seen a very few DVD disks for sale in Mexico that are labeled for region 1 and 4. You need to look at the packaging very closely to see which region the disk was formatted for. The few disks that I have seen that were multi region for regions 1 and 4 were not movies I would buy, or show to my dogs as punishment.

Iím always hopeful though and Iím always looking for a good movie formatted for both regions. We have found a few we have rented at Blockbuster here in Cuernavaca that were region 1 and 4 disks though. Those disks will play in our DVD player. When we tried to play a region 4 disk, we got an error message. We brought our DVD player with us from The US where we bought it.

If you have a computer with a DVD drive in it up north, you can probably play a region 4 DVD disk in it. That may not be the most desirable way to watch a movie, but it is an option. Most computer DVD drives will sense the region the disk was formatted in, and play it. The catch 22 is that most of them have a counter in the disk, and after changing regions 5 times, will freeze on the last region played. The counter is in the drive. Removing and re-installing the DVD program will not erase the number of region changes left available.

A workaround for this is to download the Region killer program. http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/showsoftware_dvdrk_1.html

It is a free download and it has worked very well in our computers. If you look at the properties for your DVD drive it will tell you which region it is set for, and how many changes you have left. After downloading Region Killer when I look at the properties for the DVD drives, instead of a number for the number of region changes left, it now says N/A.

I hope this info will be helpful to someone, Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Cynthia7

Sep 30, 2005, 8:24 PM

Post #4 of 8 (3099 views)

Shortcut

Since you are buying in a tianguis you can ask if they can get it for you in a region 4 format and get it next week. Many times this service is available.

Bubba

Oct 1, 2005, 9:47 AM

Post #5 of 8 (3046 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] DVDs purchased in Mexico

If you are buying DVDs in a tianguis you are almost certainly buying a pirated copy and the quality is likely to be marginal at best. Because of the poor quality of pirated DVDs in general, I am able to self-righteously take the high moral ground and refuse to patronize that illicit market. Now, if they get to the point that pirated DVDs are as high quality as the originals, I may be the victim of moral equivocation or, in other words, maybe I'll relent and rationalize an act of indirect thievery. For now, however, I am safe from that temptation.

My good friend who is a middle class Mexican, berated me for encouraging corruption by paying mordida to local cops when nailed for a true trafiic infraction and then I found that she had no hesitation when it came to cruising San Juan de Dios Market in Guadalajara seeking pirated DVDs. When I confronted her with this moral contradiction and her personal contribution to civil corruption, her reaction was what one might expect, " Well you're right, of course, but I am too poor to pay full price for original DVDs so my participation in this market is a necessity." Everyone has his/her own demons with which to contend.

Multi-region DVD players are no more expensive, in my experience, than single-region players. I have a multi-region player and rent DVDs from both Regions 1 & 4, playing them with no problem. .

Cynthia7

Oct 1, 2005, 6:33 PM

Post #6 of 8 (3007 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] DVDs purchased in Mexico

Someone brought my grandsons Spiderman the day after it came out in the theaters. You could hears coughs, popcorn crunching,etc. The story is that they go in the movie with a video camera and film it and put it on DVD-VCR's.

johnv

Oct 1, 2005, 7:04 PM

Post #7 of 8 (3002 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] DVDs purchased in Mexico

I downloaded the program from the link you posted. Will be trying it soon. Thanks, as I had been looking for such a program.

hoyafb95

Oct 3, 2005, 8:38 AM

Post #8 of 8 (2915 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] DVDs purchased in Mexico

Tried the program on my VAIO but still could not make it region free. I will do some more searching to see if I can find something.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4