First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

wmhwilson

Oct 2, 2005, 4:23 PM

Post #26 of 31 (2070 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] San Miguel crime spree?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Respectfully disagree.
Statistics that are reported are valid across any population. That's the point of statistics.
Plus one needs to look at a town like SMA that has a large tourist population as well as a large foreign community.
One things,however, is certain -- a rumor is a rumor in any land until it become fact.
I crave for the who,what, when, where and why in this story.
I did 5 years research on this topic and testified in police arbitration boards and wrote numerous series. I even played on the police after work basketball squad. (the town has 70,000 population, a mall, a race track and a major transportation arteries.)
Also "fluid" means false and as you said under or unreported.
I suspect that the NYT would not really consider this a story as has been suggested.
They need facts and that is the gist of my thread response
Id like to hear from a Mexican journalist about this story,too.
Bill and Jackie Wilson
Wallingford,PA

wmhwilson

Oct 2, 2005, 4:40 PM

Post #27 of 31 (2069 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] San Miguel crime spree?

The link is not valid for non subscribers. Idid see the headline. Can you cut and paste some of the story? Thanks.
Bill and Jackie Wilson
Wallingford,PA

johnv

Oct 2, 2005, 5:47 PM

Post #28 of 31 (2053 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chumley] San Miguel crime spree?

Well Chumley, that sounds like about a 70% chance of it being the KKK in Georgia. Also, I don't think anybody is trashing San miguel de Allende. This is simply a discussion of the facts. Sometimes the facts are not sweet.

Chumley

Oct 3, 2005, 5:14 AM

Post #29 of 31 (2025 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnv] San Miguel crime spree?

Can't Post |
And I disagree with you that this is not an attempt to trash SMA. The original poster has a record of negativity when it comes to SMA. Just do a search of his posts. And violent crime is revelant whether it be committed in Mexico or the US. The Mayor of SMA held a town hall meeting, and the results have been published in the latest edition of Atencion. I strongly suggest that it be read before any further post regarding this issue is made.

Gringal

Oct 3, 2005, 8:02 AM

Post #30 of 31 (1998 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chumley] San Miguel crime spree?

The Atencion report on the town hall meeting produced some interesting infomation I hadn't heard before, such as the "threat" by some people there to put an article in the New York Times, and the opposition to that threat based on how it would affect the value of real estate if SMA were perceived as dangerous. Apparently some folks get something out of shooting themselves in the foot, for no useful purpose.
Personally, I hope cool heads prevail and people keep their eyes on the Big Picture: SMA is a fine place to live and safer than most of the cities we came from. We have a good mayor who's been working toward civic improvement. He and the rest of the public officials do not want this town known for "crime sprees" while they're working to get recognition as a World Heritage Site.

There may be people out there who don't think they can afford to live here, and claim the grapes are sour. I haven't detected a clear message to that effect, so far.

wmhwilson

Oct 8, 2005, 12:09 PM

Post #31 of 31 (1909 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] San Miguel crime spree?

We left town before the last issue of the paper and also missed the town meeting but saw the SMA story in the New York Times...believe it was in Real Estate section. (Just where all crimes stories are) Having been in press and PR for more than 30 years, I think the story made SMA look MORE attractive to yet another bunch of us SMA Wannabes(ourselves included).
The Grouchy Gringo(s) complaining about the SMA burglaries -- 4 in a few months -- need to re-connect to NOB. Last night in Philadelphia, a Russian Immigrant shot and killed his wife, then killed the wife's friend and then either killed himself or was shot by the cops. Then there was footage of the little town cop's funeral (near where I use to live). He and an OR tech were shot by a DUI suspect inside the hospital. Then there was rapper shooting and countless fires and accidents. Who has time to count burgalries, missing kids, and other non page one crime?
I am pretty sure than my daily newspaper (where I was on the editorial board as a citizen member) rdoes NOT report all of the crime in my town (population 13,000) let alone a large suburban county of about 600,000.
SMA is safe. As safe as any small town could be.
Bill and Heidi, our great host at Casa de la Cuesta, gave us info on how to navigate the town as well as the great advice on this forum and from Carol and Norma and others.
One last thing about crime....my wife who is shorter (or under tall) than I am and hails from Ohio and West Virginia says I walked differently when we are walking in center city Philadlephia. Did not know that-- but we all adjust to our environment.
It was easy to be on Mexican Time in SMA and meet wonderful people.
Bill and Jackie Wilson
Wallingford,PA

(This post was edited by wmhwilson on Oct 8, 2005, 12:16 PM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4