Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

rrsell

Sep 24, 2005, 5:41 AM

Post #1 of 8 (3569 views)

Shortcut

crossing into Mexico coming from Dallas

Can't Post | Private Reply
My husband and two cats and myself will be driving into Mexico after visiting friends in Dallas. Our destination is Guadalajara where we will be looking to for retirement reasons. We thought to cross at Larado but people seem to think Columbia might be a better choice. Any suggestions?
Sally

jerezano

Sep 24, 2005, 1:48 PM

Post #2 of 8 (3545 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rrsell] crossing into Mexico coming from Dallas

Hello,

Columbia by all means.

Animals travelling with you in the past needed rabies shots. Not current within the year as in the USA but within a period of 30 to 90 days. I can't remember the time period.

I also have been told that the border officials usually just waive the animals on in. Not so 18 years ago.

Good luck. jerezano.

sioux4noff

Sep 25, 2005, 9:38 AM

Post #3 of 8 (3502 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] crossing into Mexico coming from Dallas

We also recommend Colombia to cross. It is just 15 miles or so outside of Laredo.
We had the international health certificate for our dogs and their vaccination records. No one looked at them, but that's because we had them. Had we not had them, surely someone would have asked to see them.

crackerloco

Sep 26, 2005, 5:24 PM

Post #4 of 8 (3445 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rrsell] crossing into Mexico coming from Dallas

I think that it is easier to cross at Laredo when coming into Mexico, but easier to come back through Colombia.

sioux4noff

Sep 26, 2005, 7:43 PM

Post #5 of 8 (3423 views)

Shortcut

Re: [crackerloco] crossing into Mexico coming from Dallas

Interestingly enough, we found the opposite to be true. Well, actually, we plan on doing crossings both ways through Colombia.

Jan White

Sep 29, 2005, 10:24 AM

Post #6 of 8 (3357 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] crossing into Mexico coming from Dallas

We will be driving to Ajijic, departing Toronto around Dec. 27th. Two questions, if I may? If one crosses the border at Columbia where would do we get our FMTs, and what date should we avoid attempting to cross in view of the fact that we would probably arrive at the border around the end of Dec. Should we delay crossing until after January 1st? We aren't sure at this point how long it will take us to drive to Laredo/Columbia. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

sioux4noff

Sep 29, 2005, 5:43 PM

Post #7 of 8 (3329 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jan White] crossing into Mexico coming from Dallas

There is one building at Colombia where you do your paperwork for the FMT and auto permits. It is just after you cross the bridge. I didn't notice if there were specific hours for the offices. We are going to cross there again on October 9, I will try to remember to check the hours.

zoeq1000

Oct 2, 2005, 8:52 AM

Post #8 of 8 (3272 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] crossing into Mexico coming from Dallas

I made one trip across country with two cats. It wasn't the easiest thing I ever did, cat box in the cab of a UHaul and all. One cat got out when we were in the desert stopping at a hotel. It was so scary, I thought we'd never find him and that some snake would have him for breakfast. But he was smart enough to seek us out. Are your cats seasoned travelers?

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4