Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

sueanne and len

Sep 23, 2005, 10:43 AM

Post #1 of 2 (2047 views)

Shortcut

Driving from B.C. through Laredo to Puerto Vallarta

Can't Post | Private Reply
I must be crazy! I have lived in Puerto Vallarta fro 4 years and have not done the driving trip since I first moved here from Chicago,well I have a new love and he is moving down and I am helping him make the drive. With the new roads what is the best route and approxmiate time form Laredo to PV?
Living in Vallarta

Camille

Sep 23, 2005, 7:13 PM

Post #2 of 2 (2026 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sueanne and len] Driving from B.C. through Laredo to Puerto Vallarta

Can't Post | Private Reply
First of all, I would certainly cross at Colombia, about 15 miles north of Laredo. If you are driving from San Antonio, you'd take 35 S to the well-marked Colombia Toll Road off to the right. Don Adams has two excellent columns on this site describing in detail every step of this crossing. You get to bypass Laredo completely, which is a good thing. You will automatically be on Hwy 85, and you'll loop around Monterrey. Most road signs in Mexico will give you the destination city rather than the highway number, so sometimes it seems you are being given mixed signals, but as soon as you see the San Luis Potosi sign, take that exit.... it's Hwy. 57, and goes right through Matehuala, which is where I stay the first day of my drive from Houston. The Sol y Luna is right on the main drag, and is totally animal-friendly, so is my choice. It is a little shabby but very clean and the management is extremely nice. About $25-$35USD. Las Sevillanas just down the street has good tortas and some interesting regional preserves and candies.
At this point I need to know if you are wanting the pedal-to-the-metal approach, or would you, for instance, want to spend a day in Guanajuato or maybe tour the fabulous cathedral at Atotonilco? I've done it several ways, the route from SLP to PV depends on your druthers.
Camille

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4