Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

patricio_lintz

Sep 22, 2005, 7:02 AM

Post #1 of 16 (8158 views)

Shortcut

whitewash/sealer/primer

Can't Post | Private Reply
My albanil tells me that the bare cement walls should be sealed with a whitewash primer. The walls have some very fine hairline cracking. Does anyone have a formula for this primer made up from, I think, white cement, water & Casther sellador (vinyl additive)? I know that roof sealer is similar with Marmolite ( a fine white sand or marble powder) added.

Cynthia7

Sep 22, 2005, 9:38 AM

Post #2 of 16 (8140 views)

Shortcut

Re: [patricio_lintz] whitewash/sealer/primer

I know that it is imporant to cure concrete correctly or it will crack or sluff off. My experience is that many Mexicans want to paint before the concrete is cured or fully dried. They often use calcimine - lime and color- which is beautiful but not always very practical. There is a wonderful sealer one puts on first. Then vinyl paint which will stay on for years..We did this and it has worked beautifully. I almost had to lay down in the front door to keep them from doing it too early. We used Sherwin Williams paint to do this.

HHERRINGTON

Sep 22, 2005, 10:01 AM

Post #3 of 16 (8136 views)

Shortcut

Behr "Elastomeric" does a wonderful job of filling in cracks, and provides an elistic barrior over new cracks. Based on a years experience of our house in Florida it works as advertized.
----------------------------------------------------

Life is too complicated to be expressed in one liners.

Cynthia7

Sep 22, 2005, 2:12 PM

Post #4 of 16 (8120 views)

Shortcut

Re: [HHERRINGTON] whitewash/sealer/primer

Behr is Home Depot brand?? Yes!!

HHERRINGTON

Sep 22, 2005, 2:15 PM

Post #5 of 16 (8121 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] whitewash/sealer/primer

Yes!
----------------------------------------------------

Life is too complicated to be expressed in one liners.

Esteban

Sep 24, 2005, 10:43 AM

Post #6 of 16 (8066 views)

Shortcut

Impermebliziante....check the spelling. It's the stuff you use on the roof to seal. I have had friends use that on exterior walls for sealer and it appears to be holding up well after three years. It's not normally used but I thought it was an innovative use of the stuff.

patricio_lintz

Sep 24, 2005, 11:43 AM

Post #7 of 16 (8062 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] whitewash/sealer/primer

Thanks. I am looking for the Mexican solution. My albanil has not steered me wrong yet. Sounds like this might be a premixed version.

Don

Sep 24, 2005, 12:46 PM

Post #8 of 16 (8056 views)

Shortcut

Does anyone have a formula for this primer made up from, I think, white cement, water & Casther sellador (vinyl additive)?

Our albanil uses this to apply to walls after they dry and have small cracks and before painting. Our albanils don't use white cement, they use a dry powder called yeso. They mix it and stir it very thorougly with water and then add sellador and a little white paint. They then spread it on the wall using a cuña. When it dries they sand the wall a little, before painting. I don't think they have an exact formula, they just mix it until they get the texture they want which is like paste.

patricio_lintz

Sep 26, 2005, 7:48 PM

Post #9 of 16 (8005 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don] whitewash/sealer/primer

I believe that yeso is gypsum, usually added to cement to promote quick drying. Thanks, Don.

Papirex

Sep 26, 2005, 9:16 PM

Post #10 of 16 (7997 views)

Shortcut

Yeso has several meanings. It is gypsum, or plaster, or chalk for writing. Concrete does not harden, or “set” by drying. It sets by a chemical reaction. Concrete can be, and is poured underwater and it sets.

There are several procedures that must be followed to keep the water away from the concrete so it does not become diluted before it hardens. It is a common construction practice for underwater construction projects, when cofferdams, etc. are not a viable option.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Cynthia7

Sep 27, 2005, 7:52 PM

Post #11 of 16 (7971 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] whitewash/sealer/primer

Artists are familiar with yeso..we call it gesso.

esperanza

Sep 27, 2005, 9:05 PM

Post #12 of 16 (7963 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] whitewash/sealer/primer

Doctors too--here in Mexico, a cast (for your arm or leg) is called yeso.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

patricio_lintz

Sep 28, 2005, 5:54 PM

Post #13 of 16 (7927 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] whitewash/sealer/primer

Yes, I meant set, not dry.

dgaronson

Oct 14, 2005, 6:58 AM

Post #14 of 16 (7872 views)

Shortcut

The albaniles here use various fixes for fine cracks, most frequently a combo of cemento blanco, sellador and water. The sellador is usually concentrated 4 or 5 to one mix with water, the final consistency is like paint and doesn´t require sanding afterwards. They also use yeso, like polyfilla or spackle, but usually for small areas. Lastly, less common is impermeabilizante, which is normally used to seal roofs, but is also used on exterior wall. The best system of this that we´ve used is ´thermotek´, a two part system with a filler and then a final sealer coat.
Hope this helps.

patricio_lintz

Oct 14, 2005, 4:57 PM

Post #15 of 16 (7857 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dgaronson] whitewash/sealer/primer

That's a definite help. Thanks.

My landlord used something similar to seal the roof of the separate laundry room: Marmolite, sellador, cement and water.

patricio_lintz

Nov 23, 2005, 3:34 PM

Post #16 of 16 (7796 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dgaronson] whitewash/sealer/primer

Mi pintor que hace diez y seis anos, use una mescla de cemento blanco, de sellador y de agua. Fue muy bueno.

My 16 year old painter used the sellador, white cement and water formula (according to my directions). It worked well.

I was able to cover the primer with two coats of cheap (129 pesos / 19 liters) Hypermart Soriana) paint. The color chosen was Paja (straw).

Maybe time will tell!

(This post was edited by patricio_lintz on Nov 23, 2005, 3:35 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4