Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

viejogatomalo

Sep 21, 2005, 5:36 AM

Post #1 of 24 (2614 views)

Shortcut

Just a thought

| Private Reply
Golly Gee Mr. Bush . . . maybe there is something to this global warming rumor.

ms mac

Sep 21, 2005, 6:47 AM

Post #2 of 24 (2588 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viejomalogato] Just a thought

| Private Reply
I have never seen such extreme weather as we have had in the past few years.
And what about air pollution?
ms mac

cristalhombre

Sep 21, 2005, 7:16 AM

Post #3 of 24 (2579 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Global warming Viejo????? Are you nuts. Have you fallen prey to that left wing progressive tactic to actually believe science? You must be questioned and challenged with such a post........

No, these storms have nothing to do with science, this is all clearly laid out in the Old Testament (somewhere) that we will experience a time of "Intelligently Designed Weather" for 40 days and 40 nights........ and from it we will come a new king. (I am hopeful!)

Mother Nature has a way of kickin ass when it's needed!

I just feel badly for all those poor folk gettin kicked!

One last point.......even if this does cause another $$150 - 180 billion dollars in losses......don't you dare consider up'n my taxes to help pay for it!!! I'm going to do my part and send $5 to the Red Cross today as my contribution of caring. I figure if I buy someone lunch who no longer has a kitchen (or a home for that matter).............I will fall into that category listed by the President of, a good caring American, an honorable man, an understanding kinda guy.

Gosh I feel better now that I know I helped.

Viejo "black cat"........ please stop reading that liberal slanted crap like, Scientific American and National Geographic. Read the Good Book if you want the truth!

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

Gringal

Sep 21, 2005, 8:09 AM

Post #4 of 24 (2554 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cristalhombre] Just a thought

| Private Reply
RED ALERT: MOTHER NATURE IS A TERRORIST. PUT HER ON THE NO-FLY LIST.

viejogatomalo

Sep 21, 2005, 9:15 AM

Post #5 of 24 (2530 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Sir
I am not a 'black cat'", but a very old pink one. And I do care for my body.... the trouble is,,,no one else does!

purplepatty

Sep 21, 2005, 10:30 AM

Post #6 of 24 (2516 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Here's a copy of an email I got from a friend that survived Katrina. Thought provoking . . .

To my friends and family: From a Mc Comb Resident
What I have seen since Katrina:
The poor and the wealthy hurt by the storm.
Black, white, Hispanic, Oriental and Indian all hurt by the storm.
Christian people giving, giving, giving.
Churches going all out to minister in Jesus' name.
Neighbors going door to door helping one another.
Thugs and hoodlums going door to door looking for someone vulnerable.
Ice and water being fought over as police tried to keep the peace.
People coming up from New Orleans taking over empty houses because shelters are full.
Out of town volunteers coming with food and staying† for now a week still serving it.
The Churches all over this part of the country doing what Christians do in a crisis.
The Red Cross doing a great job in the shelters.
The Salvation Army doing a great job in the community.
Four Hundred crewman from everywhere bring back the power to our homes, churches and businesses.
Lines at service stations a block to a mile long.
National Guardsman patrolling the streets of Mc Comb along with Kentucky policemen protecting us from the hoodlums and thugs of Mc Comb, Pike County and† New Orleans (the most dangerous city in the world before Katrina.)
Drug dealers working outside shelters.
Doctors, nurses and other hospital personnel working tirelessly, even sleeping in the hospital to do the job God called them to do.
WHAT I HAVE NOT SEEN;
The ACLU setting up a feeding line.
People for the American Way helping in the shelters.
The NAACP doing any work whatsoever.
The American Atheist organization serving meals in† the shelters.
Jesse Jackson directing traffic at the gas stations.
I could go on but you get my message. Its the Christian people with love and compassion who do the work.
The gripers in Congress should come on down and get in line to pass the water and the ice. Are you† listening Hillary, Chuck, Teddy and all the sorry loafers we call† Senators and Congressmen. They don't have a clue as to what this life is all about here on the Gulf Coast.

cristalhombre

Sep 21, 2005, 3:18 PM

Post #7 of 24 (2466 views)

Shortcut

Re: [purplepatty] Just a thought

| Private Reply
Hi patty, brad in vancouver here.....glad you made it down safely! I must tell you that you are missing some great end of summer weather here in the Portland area. But as you know well, that will change soon to grey and damp!

gotta question for ya..... your friend's observation of Katrina stated this......

"Its the Christian people with love and compassion who do the work"

What about Jews, Muslims, Catholics, Hindu, and other faiths. Are they not helping? just curious.........maybe they lack love and compassion????

The only person I know in my universe who actually volunteered to assist in New Orleans, is my Unitarian sister-in law with her RN skills. Sounds like she will fly out next Tuesday from Seattle and be there for 3 weeks. So, I know of at least one non-Christian helping out, but she might be the only one....... I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

stay well and enjoy MX !!!!

purplepatty

Sep 21, 2005, 4:12 PM

Post #8 of 24 (2455 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hey Brad--Been here since Aug. 11--had a good drive down. Hope by next rainy season I can get used to the humidity.

I think my friend is so angry with all the rhetoric and no action from so called "do gooders" that she neglected to mention all the other religions that are helping. I don't want to mention it at this point, as she's got enough to deal with.

PP

Jean

Sep 21, 2005, 4:55 PM

Post #9 of 24 (2437 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Original Article
http://www.freepress.org/...display/19/2005/1460

Excerpts

Michael Brown, the embattled head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, approved payments in excess of $31 million in taxpayer money to thousands of Florida residents who were unaffected by Hurricane Frances

====

Homeland Security sources told the Post that after the hurricanes that Brown ďand his allies [recommended] him to succeed Tom Ridge as Homeland Security secretary because of their claim that he helped deliver Florida to President Bush by efficiently responding to the Florida hurricanes.Ē

======

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel uncovered emails from Florida Gov. Jeb Bush that confirmed those allegations and directly implicated Brown as playing politics at the expense of hurricane victims.

======

The explosive charges of mismanagement of disaster relief funds made against Brown and FEMA were confirmed earlier this year following a four-month investigation by Richard Skinner, the Department of Homeland Securityís inspector general. Skinner looked into media reports alleging that residents of Miami-Dade were receiving windfall payments from FEMA to cover losses from Hurricane Frances they never incurred.

======

In identifying one of the overpayments, the inspector generalís report said FEMA paid $10 million to replace hundreds of household items even though only a bed was reported to be damaged, the inspector generalís report said.

====

Your tax dollars at work for ....who?

We won't even discuss the 1 BILLION dollars that was found to be stolen in Iraq this month.
Retirement Communities
http://www.retirecommunities.com

(This post was edited by Jean on Sep 21, 2005, 5:03 PM)

esperanza

Sep 21, 2005, 6:29 PM

Post #10 of 24 (2414 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Ummm...last I heard, Catholics were Christians.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

mjeble

Sep 21, 2005, 6:46 PM

Post #11 of 24 (2406 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Just a thought

| Private Reply
Reminds me of the time when I was about 11, when a neighbor girl asked me if I was a Christian. I answered "No, I'm a Catholic". Those were the days when the nuns told you you would go to hell if you talked to a Protestant. I don't remember when it was I realized just what I had said.

Myra

Listen to what I mean, not what I say.

(This post was edited by mjeble on Sep 21, 2005, 6:47 PM)

Kip

Sep 21, 2005, 8:42 PM

Post #12 of 24 (2373 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mjeble] Just a thought

| Private Reply
I don't thing that courage and caring have anything to do with religion. There are a whole lot of unsung heroes who may not go to ANY church!
kip

viejogatomalo

Sep 21, 2005, 9:10 PM

Post #13 of 24 (2361 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kip] Just a thought

| Private Reply
What in the hell does all this have to do wih lobal warming!

cristalhombre

Sep 21, 2005, 9:44 PM

Post #14 of 24 (2351 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Esperanza you may be right about that........... I am from the "unchurched community" so I know very little about what Joseph Campbell called "your adopted truth".

It's all very confusing for me. As I understand it......... we have left the multi-theastic concepts of mythology and now in these Modern times we have just one God. I am told this God serves all mankind! Correct?? Some call this higher power, God, others Allah. One believer of this God, can blow up anything and kill people as a martyr to the one God. He or she is then considered a hero by that group of believers of God. For someone like me........it is soooo very confusing.

So it has led me to believe........Religion is little more that a transaction in which troubled people trade their souls for temporary and wholly illusionary psychological comfort. It's possible you are correct Esperanza, they can all be "lumped together", Christians, Catholics, Jews, Muslims..... all with variations of adopted truths under THE One God.

My higher power and co-pilot seems to be DOG. And....it just so happens that we have a dog who thinks she is human. To further this confusion, we treat her like a human. So what do I know about GOD or DOG.......obviously NOT much.

photo attached is my DOG.....my higher power!

Gringal

Sep 22, 2005, 8:10 AM

Post #15 of 24 (2304 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I'm trying to figure out how we got from here to there on this thread, but what the hay....

Several years ago, a friend and I parted company because she had just discovered religion and wouldn't shut up trying to "save" me. She also informed me that just about every religion on the face of the planet was actually a "cult" except hers. It was then I developed a huge intolerance for intolerance. Since then, I keep running into, and away from, people whose minds work along those lines. What ever happened to embracing diversity?

jaybear

Sep 22, 2005, 9:13 AM

Post #16 of 24 (2284 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kip] Just a thought

| Private Reply
Kip, well said, thank you so much! I was hoping someone might speak up for those who try to lead an ethical, honest, charitable and caring life without the inspiration of a religion.

If this site could avoid religious rants in addition to political sniping, I would be pleased. We can all sling arrows at each other's politics and religion, or lack thereof, via other media, or better yet, not do it at all!
"Don't believe everything you think" - Maxine

JayBear

skelleyhoutex

Sep 22, 2005, 1:36 PM

Post #17 of 24 (2238 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I must disagree. I am in Houston getting ready for Hurricane Rita right now - along with most of the State of Louisiana. I must tell you that Bill, Hilary and Jesse Jackson have all been here serving meals and doing whatever needed doing when they were here. George #42 Bush and Bill Clinton have raised millions of dollars for hurricane relief. It is that man that is sitting in the White House that does not have a clue.

Rolly

Sep 22, 2005, 4:31 PM

Post #18 of 24 (2203 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skelleyhoutex] Just a thought

| Private Reply
Small point, but it's Bush 41. Clinton was 42, and W is 43.

Rolly Pirate

skelleyhoutex

Sep 23, 2005, 8:40 AM

Post #19 of 24 (2134 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Just a thought

| Private Reply
Whatever!!!! I have gotten some really nasty replies to that post but believe me, I am here in Houston and they are not. However, if Rita goes easy on our side of Houston, we will be packed for our move to San Antonio Tlacapan (please don't correct me on the spelling, you know what I mean) on Tuesday and will be there with cat and dog in tow. We are looking forward to meeting some of the people that post on this website.

bdlngton

Sep 23, 2005, 5:12 PM

Post #20 of 24 (2083 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Matter of semantics. In Colombia Catholics are Catolicos and Protestants are Cristianos. It took awhile for me to convince my Colombian ex-esposo that by virtue of being Catolico he was also Cristiano.

As far as the religion of the helpers goes, who cares?????????? I'll mention my nephew who is a New Orleans firefighter who was on duty when Katrina hit and helped rescue many people from their homes and the floodwaters when the levees broke. Mark was raised by his non-practicing Jewish father whose father lost most of his family to the concentration camps, and my sister, his non-practicing Christion-only-by-default mother. Mark chose to do his Bar Mitzvah in Israel, where his father's only surviving first cousin lives. He and his fiancee, a practicing Catholic, will probably be forced to postpone their wedding scheduled in a New Orleans Catholic church. The place they had planned their receiption in City Park was destroyed. Their house was damaged. Their friends, several of whom were to be in the wedding party, either do not have homes to return to or are off in another state looking for work. His fiancee has rented a temporary place in Lake Charles, which is now threatened by Rita. However she is not there to try to save her things once again because the two of them are in Las Vegas on a furlough trip given to the NO firefighters who have served so bravely since Katrina. When Mark was asked if he was scared staying behind in New Orleans while Katrina approached, he simply said, "It's my job." Quite honestly I don't think that those people stuck in their attics, on their roofs and in nursing homes cared about his religion and I'm sure he did not ask theirs before he decided whether to help them. Regardless of their religion--or lack thereof, good people help other people in a time of need. That's what makes them good people, not titles or affiliations they claim.

That Cristalhombre sure likes to stir up trouble. Or maybe he just likes to make people think. I should know because he's my dear friend Brad! :-)
Susy

Elaine

Sep 27, 2005, 12:24 PM

Post #21 of 24 (1942 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Give me a break. Gobal warming? I think if you research that you will find that the weather goes in cycles. When I was a child playing on my grandparents' farm during the hot summer months, the dirt was so dry that we used it like sand. I've never seen it that hot and dry since.

Research the hurricane history and you will find they run on cycles.

Also, do a little more research and you will find that Mars is going through a "gobal warming." Mars is having more earth quakes, or Mars quakes, etc. Wonder if it is from those little green men driving their SUVs underground????

When one door closes, another opens. Some people are so busy looking at the door that has closed, they don't see the door that has opened. Keep looking for those open doors.

viejogatomalo

Sep 27, 2005, 12:27 PM

Post #22 of 24 (1940 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Elaine] Just a thought

| Private Reply
And is global warming not a cycle? !!!!!!!!! Give ME A BREAK
Why not do some research yourself.
If you have CYCLIC global warming augumented by all the crappy things we do the earth.....THEN THERE IS A PROBLEM.
and anyway, my research is done with qualified groups, not those biased to the present junta in Washington.

(This post was edited by viejomalogato on Sep 27, 2005, 12:40 PM)

Elaine

Sep 27, 2005, 12:59 PM

Post #23 of 24 (1931 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Whoa! "the present junta in Washington" ?????

Well, I try not to say anything bad. So, I'll just say, "Whoa!!!!!"

When one door closes, another opens. Some people are so busy looking at the door that has closed, they don't see the door that has opened. Keep looking for those open doors.

tonyburton

Sep 27, 2005, 1:46 PM

Post #24 of 24 (1912 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Elaine] Just a thought

| Private Reply
Thread locked since it does not appear to be going anywhere...
Start another if you wish to continue!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4