Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

LANDERS77

Sep 20, 2005, 8:11 AM

Post #1 of 9 (7215 views)

Shortcut

MOVING TO MEXICO

Can't Post | Private Reply
MY WIFE & I ARE TAKING A YEAR OFF WORK TO TRAVEL THRU MEXICO-WE ARE THINKING OF EARLY RETIREMENT-WE HAVE READ ABOUT THE COST OF LIVING IN MEXICO & HEALTH INSURANCE-WE WOULD APPRECIATE INFO ON THE REAL COST OF LIVING IN AREAS AROUND GUADALAJARA-&-INFO ON INSURANCE (PRIVATE)-ALSO WHAT ARE THE SUROUNDINGS LIKE IN THAT AREA-FOREST?-RIVERS?-FARM LAND?-
Tim & Sue

Lavanda

Sep 20, 2005, 8:36 AM

Post #2 of 9 (7198 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LANDERS77] MOVING TO MEXICO

Can't Post |
First, a caveat: Dont think about moving to Mexico ONLY because it seems "cheap". There are many many more pros and cons to consider in making your decision.

Some people love Mexico and some hate it, and many more are stuck somewhere in betweem.

Mexico has all the varieties of climate and scenery that the US does, except for Alaska.

You will need to actually travel and become acquainted with all the different options before making a choice. You will need to have independent income, meaning that you will not be able to just look for a job after you are there in order to supplement your income.

Some opt to spend the winters in Mexico, and summers back home. You will need to study carefully before you decide.

Where are you currently located, and what reasons other than prices are you basing your decision on?

And what do you men when you mention private insurance.

Good luck!

LANDERS77

Sep 20, 2005, 10:28 AM

Post #3 of 9 (7160 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Lavannda] MOVING TO MEXICO

THE COST OF LIVING IS NOT THE ONLY REASON FOR OUR POSSIBLE MOVE--WE HAVE TRAVELED A FEW TIMES TO MEXICO & LATIN AMERICA & ENJOYED THE PEOPLE & CULTURE--FROM WHAT I HAVE READ MEXICO HAS ALOT TO OFFER--MY WIFE & I DO NOT WANT TO WAIT UNTIL WE REACH 65 TO RETIRE -TO GET ON MEDICARE-& TRY TO SCRATCH OUT A LIVING HERE IN THE USA-WE WANT TO FINALLY SPEND OUR DAYS TOGETHER ENJOYING THE THINGS WE LIKE TO DO--AS I SAID WE PLAN ON TAKING A YEAR TO TRAVEL MEXICO & SEE IF MEXICO IS THE ANSWER--MEDICAL CARE IS VERY IMPORTANT AND WE UNDERSTAND GUADALAJARA HAS GOOD CARE--THATS WHY I HAD QUESTIONS ABOUT THAT AREA---OF COURSE COST IS A MAJOR FACTOR-WE ARE NOT WEALTHY-&-DO NOT LIVE A EXTRAVGANT LIFE STYLE--WE ENJOY THE SIMPLE LIFE--SO ANY INFO ON THE GUADALAJARA (LAKE CHAPALA)AREA WOULD BE APPRECIATED--ALSO ANY INFO ON COST OF INSURANCE-&-WHAT COMPANIES WOULD ANY ONE RECOMEND--THANX--TIM---P.S.
Tim & Sue

Marlene

Sep 20, 2005, 10:51 AM

Post #4 of 9 (7153 views)

Shortcut

If you do a message search you will find loads of information regarding the medical insurance topic. We just had a recent discussion, in fact. Just a little note; there is good medical care pretty throughout Mexico, not just the Guadalajara area. Good luck with your research. You will find much of what you are looking for right here in Mexconnect.

P.S. your message all in caps is difficult to read.

(This post was edited by Marlene on Sep 20, 2005, 10:52 AM)

Georgia

Sep 21, 2005, 7:33 AM

Post #5 of 9 (7045 views)

Shortcut

The cost of private insurance will depend on your age, of course. Figure about $1200 per person aged 65 with a moderate deductible. Medical care is very reasonable and generally the cost of ordinary prescription drugs is lower. If you anticipate very specialized care, of course, your costs will be higher. We live Lakeside and the cost of dental care (actually the most expensive dentist here, but we like her and are comfortable with her) is about 1/3 of what we would pay in the US, a doctor's visit is $15, a bone density scan (full spine, hip) is $50, my husband's allopurinol runs about $5/mo, my thyroid meds a little more. That's about all we are familiar with. Oh, yes, blood test with lipid scan, etc. runs about $80, flu shot $15. I hope this gives you some idea of costs.

Lavanda

Sep 21, 2005, 8:13 AM

Post #6 of 9 (7023 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] ins costs MOVING TO MEXICO

Can't Post |
georgia, Could you please clarify the $1200 ?

Per how often, and which ins? and US or Mexican ins?

TKS

!! Viva Mexico, warts and all !!!

Georgia

Sep 21, 2005, 9:25 AM

Post #7 of 9 (6994 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Lavannda] ins costs MOVING TO MEXICO

$1200/yr - Mexican insurance - Allianz is the company

Rolly

Sep 21, 2005, 9:54 AM

Post #8 of 9 (6982 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] ins costs MOVING TO MEXICO

http://www.allianz.com.mx/

Allianz is an international company operating in many countries.

Rolly Pirate

ncferret

Sep 21, 2005, 10:31 AM

Post #9 of 9 (6970 views)

Shortcut

Here is a website with lots of insurance options (health and life) and information:

http://www.maztravel.com/kwiki/index.cgi?HealthAndLifeInsurance

GUADALAJARA has excellent health care providers.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4