Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Sep 19, 2005, 10:47 PM

Post #1 of 4 (2912 views)

Shortcut

mountain biking in Xalapa

Can't Post | Private Reply
This last Sunday was a beautiful, sunny day when I went on one of my best mountain biking excursions ever with a young Canadian from Toronto and Manolo from Coatepec. We left at 11 AM, a bit late, the Canadian and I, from Xalapa on the old, very scenic road to Coatepec, where we meet Manolo for the first time at the bike shop there. He kindly volunteered to guide us on a back road to Xico, mostly dirt or cobble stone, and very steep in many places. Arriving at Xico, a group of "payaso"(clown) dancers were doing a tradicional dance to a flute and violin, while they were waiting for the procession bringing special flowers("cucharilla") for the adornment of the large church facade arch to celebrate San Miguel Archangel(September 29th). After lunch the Canadian and I headed down to the Texolo falls where we took the "vereda"(path) through coffee plantations to the village of Teocelo(we had several glasses of the local sassparilla to quench our thirst). By now it was 6 PM, so we took a local bus back on the sharp curved and very dangerous road to Xalapa. All in all, quite a day!
So, if you are looking for adventure, Xalapa and the surrounding area is where to come!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

pana

Sep 19, 2005, 11:29 PM

Post #2 of 4 (2909 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] mountain biking in Xalapa

Roy..............one of my favorite movies is "Romancing the Stone". Is a lot of the ground you covered on your bike trip some of the same areas featured in the movie? I've tried thru the years to figure out the exact locations. A friend of mine was a guest conductor of the Sinfonica de Xalapa a number of years ago and he said he visited the waterfall near town that was used in the movie.
I really enjoy your site.........hope to visit Xalapa someday.

Pana

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Sep 20, 2005, 3:43 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2892 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pana] mountain biking in Xalapa

Pana:
Yes, we went to the waterfall where the shoot-out scene took place as well as when Michael Douglas slides between Kathrine Turner's legs. It is truly a beautiful area, especially as you walk through the shade grown coffee plantations.
Tomorrow I hope to be meeting with an American who works with PRONATURA with bird watching, which is excellent near here, especially the raptors. Hopefully I will be starting tours soon along the Gulf coast.
¡Hasta pronto!
Roy
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

pana

Sep 20, 2005, 8:29 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2880 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] mountain biking in Xalapa

Thanks for the info Roy........Pana

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4