Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Nancy4

Sep 18, 2005, 7:11 AM

Post #1 of 19 (3920 views)

Shortcut

Colorful Mexico Tile

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hola. Is it difficult traveling from the border crossing of Nuevo Laredo to Puebla? I am looking for colorful Mexican tile. I received some info from a visitor on this site who has the very tile I am seeking! Outrageously beautiful casa. I didn't want to ask, but does anyone know if it is terribly expensive?

Gracias.

Miguel Palomares

Sep 18, 2005, 9:46 AM

Post #2 of 19 (3903 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nancy4] Colorful Mexico Tile

Can't Post |
Hola, Nancy. Forget Puebla. If you are coming down from Nuevo Laredo where, I certainly hope, you will take the Colombia-Solidarity bridge, just go to Dolores Hidalgo, about 25 miles north of San Miguel. Lots closer than Puebla.

The tile in question runs about 250 or so pesos per box that covers a square meter. It is 100 tiles per box, if memory serves me.
From Tzurumutaro, Michoacan, "The Village of the Darned."

The nuts and bolts of moving to Mexico:
http://michaeldickson.blogspot.com/
The dark side of living in Mexico:
http://mexicopeeks.blogspot.com/
Scintillating life in a Mexican pueblo:
http://tzurumutaro.blogspot.com/
http://tzurumutaro2.blogspot.com/

(This post was edited by Emiliano Palomares on Sep 18, 2005, 2:58 PM)

Cynthia7

Sep 18, 2005, 2:32 PM

Post #3 of 19 (3880 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Emiliano Palomares] Colorful Mexico Tile

There are basically three families in Delores Hidalgo..Cortez, Vazquez and Carillo. There is tile displayed all over town and all are related, interelated,etc. San Gabriel has tile and is located between San Miguel de Allende and Delores Hidalgo. Everything you can imagine..wall tiles, basins, bowls, flower pots, dishes and murals. Santa Rosa is a town between Delores Hidalgo and Guanajuato that has a potter that makes beautiful tiles and pottery. Guanajuato has Gorkey Gonzoles, Capello and one or two others of note ..so you are in the right area. You'll be crazy from tile overload...

bournemouth

Sep 18, 2005, 5:16 PM

Post #4 of 19 (3857 views)

Shortcut

Here is the website for Talavera Cortes in Dolores Hidalgo. The quality of their talavera tile has improved enormously in the last few years. We recently did a kitchen in blue and white tile.

http://www.talaveracortes.com.mx/

They do not carry much tile in stock - it is all painted to order - so you need to have measurements and a diagram of the area in which it is to be used to help you, especially in ordering the termination tiles - bull noses, mud edge, corners etc. It can be a little slow in arriving at times but once we had placed our original order in person (and paid for it, I might add) we then ordered extra tile by phoning and following up the phone call with a faxed description of the tiles we wanted, including drawings - our vocabulary was a little short on the words for the finishing tiles. The orders all arrived safely to our Mexican house, on Transportes Pitic trucks. The carrier will vary according to where you live. Transportation was paid for on arrival of the tiles. The transportation from Dolores Hidalo to Guadalajara was paid along with the price of the tiles, up front.

gpk

Sep 18, 2005, 5:20 PM

Post #5 of 19 (3854 views)

Shortcut

The "art" quality of the tile from Puebla is much superior to that of Dolores Hidalgo--if that is important. The cost of the Puebla tile is also far higher than the Dolores tile.

raferguson

Sep 18, 2005, 7:39 PM

Post #6 of 19 (3836 views)

Shortcut

I agree with gpk, the best tile is from Puebla, the tile from Dolores Hidalgo is what most people can afford. Even if you have your heart set of Puebla tile, stop by Dolores Hidalgo first and check the prices there. I believe that the Mexican tile available in Denver, for example, is from Dolores Hidalgo.

From Nuevo Laredo to Puebla is around 800 miles. Dolores Hidalgo is probably 100 to 200 miles closer to the border. Figure two days drive in any event, don't drive at night in Mexico.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

Cynthia7

Sep 18, 2005, 9:10 PM

Post #7 of 19 (3823 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Colorful Mexico Tile

There is one other tile manufacture in Delores Hidalgo which is usually exported to France. It was available at Evos decorating and furniture store but don't know if it moved with them to their new location. It is not Talavera but very soft colors and has a lovely finish. Looks old and is quite expensive...Puebla tile and pottery is beautiful..takes for ever to get it and costs but it is certainly worth what they charge. Guanjuato tile is expensive and beautiful also.

Nancy4

Sep 18, 2005, 9:41 PM

Post #8 of 19 (3820 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Emiliano Palomares] Colorful Mexico Tile

Mucho gracious!

Nancy4

Sep 18, 2005, 9:44 PM

Post #9 of 19 (3818 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] Colorful Mexico Tile

Thank you very much. Two things we learned quickly: 1) don't drive at night, and 2) don't drink the water! Otherwise it is a wonderful adventure.

Thanks for the good information.

(This post was edited by Nancy4 on Sep 18, 2005, 9:47 PM)

anna

Sep 27, 2005, 9:49 AM

Post #10 of 19 (3718 views)

Shortcut

hi nancy
check out mexhapati.com Rene speaks english and spanish, we did all our correspondance through email and he has been very responsable and prompt. Their factory is located in Delores Hidalgo on the highway on the left hand side leaving town going towards San miguel De Allende. We drove down last year to order and this year did everything over the internet!

Their tile is gorgeous, and their displays and models set up at their store are great for ideas!

Have fun!

zoeq1000

Oct 2, 2005, 9:06 AM

Post #11 of 19 (3638 views)

Shortcut

Re: [anna] Colorful Mexico Tile

Guanajuato is a lovely and unusual city to visit. I highly recommend it. Recently I went to Gorky in Guanajuato for tile and dishes. One mismatched place setting, about 5 pieces was about $70 FOR ONE! Capelo and Gorky have beautiful pottery but they are so famous that their prices are out of my range, for sure.

But for tile, I like Carillo Vertiz Hermanos in Dolores Hidalgo. The work is beautiful and quite well done. I love their sinks which are substantial and they will paint to match your tile for just $60 for medium size. Talavera prices are pretty high - from $2 per square meter to close to $4 depending on how many colors you want and what pattern. Cortes' tile is very thick and the most expensive I've found - though from the sounds of it Puebla sounds more expensive.

We bought our floor tiles at Cortes, beautiful barro which is like the saltillo tile we used in LA for a patio. Thick and substantial for a very reasonable price. I've been shopping a lot since I am decorating my house for a B&B in Queretaro - 7 bathrooms. I'm trying to use all local materials. Good luck on your shopping.

zoeq1000

Oct 2, 2005, 9:11 AM

Post #12 of 19 (3637 views)

Shortcut

Re: [zoeq1000] Colorful Mexico Tile

I know from experience that it is a very beautiful, very nice drive from Eagle Pass to Dolores Hidalgo. Mostly 4 lane highway and no tolls to speak of.

abq

Oct 2, 2005, 6:01 PM

Post #13 of 19 (3609 views)

Shortcut

I think the most beautiful sinks and pottery are made by Casal, on the outskirts of DG.

zoeq1000

Oct 2, 2005, 6:57 PM

Post #14 of 19 (3600 views)

Shortcut

Re: [anna] Colorful Mexico Tile

Wow, the sinks at mexhapati.com are incredible!! But check out those prices - $150 per sink. Maybe that's just on the internet. The sinks I've found run $20 to $40 US even if they are Casals. Mine were $60 because they are made to spec. I will still check them out. They do beautiful work.

zoeq1000

Oct 2, 2005, 6:59 PM

Post #15 of 19 (3596 views)

Shortcut

Re: [abq] Colorful Mexico Tile

Casal anything is beautiful but not quite what I wanted. I love big, bold, beautiful flowers. I will go there for Talavera urns or whatever they call those big pots with lids.

Nancy4

May 19, 2006, 10:25 PM

Post #16 of 19 (3490 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Miguel Palomares] Colorful Mexico Tile

Hola Sr. Palomares. Visited Dolares Hidalgo and area for several days. Went to the tile factory and met owner and artist of tiles. Found everything I wanted for mi casa and more. He was most friendly and tile is lovely. Gracias.

zoeq1000

May 20, 2006, 1:40 PM

Post #17 of 19 (3454 views)

Shortcut

I'm glad this thread came up again. I ended up getting my sinks at Mexhapati for about $40 each. They were hand-painted to match the murals I bought at Carillo for the bathrooms. Rene at Mexhapati is American and as friendly and nice as can be. My sinks are gorgeous.

Nancy4

May 20, 2006, 2:13 PM

Post #18 of 19 (3447 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I'm glad this thread came up again. I ended up getting my sinks at Mexhapati for about $40 each. They were hand-painted to match the murals I bought at Carillo for the bathrooms. Rene at Mexhapati is American and as friendly and nice as can be. My sinks are gorgeous.

Wow! What a deal. Isn't it fun traveling around these crazy towns to find such talented people? I know I can look it up, but whereabouts is Mexhapati? At that price I could use 2 NOB. Thanks.

P.S. You sound like you are enjoying your new place as much as I have been enjoying mine! That's cool.

zoeq1000

May 20, 2006, 3:34 PM

Post #19 of 19 (3432 views)

Shortcut

Rene will be glad to hear that. It is on the main road coming in from SMA or from the 57 Freeway. Once you get to DH and you see the filling station on the left, it's about a block up from that if I remember correctly. I remember a wagon wheel out in front on the drive that you pull into which runs parallel to the street. His website is mexhapati.com His phone is 418 182 2098.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4