Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Bubba

Sep 17, 2005, 10:08 AM

Post #1 of 20 (2691 views)

Shortcut

If The U.S. is Wounded Everybody Bleeds

| Private Reply
Maybe the United States should take a lesson from Mexico.

I am reminded of the floods in Jalisco of a year ago.

The Mexican authorities, when told that the impoverished built their homes in flood zones and were then rendered homeless, they responded, " Well, you built your home in an arroyo, what the hell do you expect?" Make do on your own.

In the United States, when people built a city in an extraordinarily vulnerable flood plain , when the expected flood finally came,the Federal government said they were coming to the rescue but never showed up because nobody filled out the required forms which were non-existent.

Then the Chairman of the Board shows up and takes responsibiilty without consequence.

Meanwhile these old folks watch the water swell up with empty promises of rescue until they drown in their own filth while U.S. bureaucrats wallow in paperwork.

You tell me who takes the moral high ground.

At least, in Mexico I know I'm on my own and can plan accordingly rather than depend on some idiot leading the elusive cavalry.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Sep 17, 2005, 10:45 AM)

Papirex

Sep 17, 2005, 12:28 PM

Post #2 of 20 (2641 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] If The U.S. is Wounded Everybody Bleeds

| Private Reply
In the interest of truth and clarity I must come to the defense of the chairman. It seems to be lost on most people that he had to wait four full days before he could do anything. As soon as it was confirmed that his vacation was over, he went into action promptly.

Who can forget those immortal words, “Brownie you are doing a heck of a job?” Those nine words doubtlessly gave immediate comfort and relief to those that had lost loved ones, homes, businesses, livelihoods, and hope.

It should also be remembered that evidently no one was in charge. Therefore “no one” is to blame. To prevent recurrences of this tragedy, throwing a few tons of the taxpayer’s money at it, coupled with increased tax cuts for the already super rich should do the trick.
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Rolly

Sep 17, 2005, 1:09 PM

Post #3 of 20 (2623 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
May I repeat my sig line:

This is a good time to be living in México!

Rolly Pirate

HHERRINGTON

Sep 17, 2005, 3:42 PM

Post #4 of 20 (2580 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hopefully the best event that will come out of this disaster will be a reduction in the red tape for the feds to provice aid when the local and state authorities are inapt or take forever to make the simplist decisions. We can blame the "chairman of the board", but only as long as we decide to ignore the responsibility and legal rights of the local and state officials.

I agree with Rolly this is an excellent time to live in Mexico.
----------------------------------------------------

Life is too complicated to be expressed in one liners.

Marta R

Sep 17, 2005, 7:28 PM

Post #5 of 20 (2526 views)

Shortcut

Re: [HHERRINGTON] If The U.S. is Wounded Everybody Bleeds

| Private Reply
Just for the sake of clarity and to keep the information realistic, it's a good idea to check out the http://www.thinkprogress.org/katrina-timeline, from which it can be seen that the feds were asked to declare a disaster on August 27th, 2 days before the hurricane even struck.

Hands tied? I don't think so.

Marta

Nancy4

Sep 17, 2005, 8:16 PM

Post #6 of 20 (2512 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
It is certainly true that some people are great at shouting out criticism to players, while they are standing safely on the sidelines. Alas, they dismiss FACTs (or selectively ignore) so that they may place the "blame" where they choose. Who are these scoundals who sit and judge those so shamelessly amist human suffering.

I appreciate, so much, the font of information re Mexico, but am jolted at times in General Forum. Ah-h-h, but this is only my humble opinion, you understand. Gracias.

God bless America.

"Without compassion, understanding and love, we are nothing."

HHERRINGTON

Sep 17, 2005, 8:23 PM

Post #7 of 20 (2508 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marta Randall] If The U.S. is Wounded Everybody Bleeds

| Private Reply
You may wish to check out the Posse Comitatus Act so that you understand the role that active duty troops are limited to. The national guard, approximately seven thousand under the governor's control not the presidents was responsible for entering the city to establish law and order.

By the way the state of emergency was declared as requested.

Bubba

Sep 17, 2005, 9:30 PM

Post #8 of 20 (2494 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
As memory serves me, the president nationalized the Arkansas national, guard instantly when Orville Forbas tried to use the the Arkansas National Guard to keep black children out of Little Rock's Central High.

Hypocrites!

God should kick these people in the ass!

HHERRINGTON

Sep 18, 2005, 4:56 AM

Post #9 of 20 (2462 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Bubba, Bubba you surprise me in that you didn't report the entire story. If you will think about the sitution that you referred to you will acknowledge that Orville Forbas was using the national guard armed with clubs to prevent black children from entering a white school. Ike did nationalize the Arkansas national guard to prevent its use in blocking integration, and he sent in approximately 1200 members of the 101 Airborne to both control the Arkansas national guard and intergrate the school.

Hypocrites is best defined by politicans and members of the press.

I agree some of the people involved that caused the suffering and deaths should be recalled by God. We just disagree with whom God should start with.

Bubba

Sep 18, 2005, 7:22 AM

Post #10 of 20 (2434 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
It seems we can conclude that W. is no Ike.

HHERRINGTON

Sep 18, 2005, 7:41 AM

Post #11 of 20 (2426 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
"It seems we can conclude that W. is no Ike."

For which governor Blanco is extremely greatfull.

1ajijic

Sep 18, 2005, 8:59 AM

Post #12 of 20 (2396 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
It is a shame that so many people still don't get it. Such a waste of time and effort. NOTHING MATTERS - what happens, what is damaged ot destroyed , how many are killed, homeless etc. as long as the money keeps flowing. We are in the era of the rape of the US Treasury. The sky's literally the limit on US debt and the big boys are getting fatter by the moment. Lets get those federal contracts out and stop talking about pain and suffering. The reason big governement doesn't rush into things is that decisions have to be made about who gets the spoils for maximum political advantage. Get real people it's all ok as long as you end with a god bless.
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

Bubba

Sep 18, 2005, 10:25 AM

Post #13 of 20 (2380 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1ajijic] If The U.S. is Wounded Everybody Bleeds

| Private Reply
1Ajijic:

Just imagine the money to be made by the opening of the Federal Treasury to the profiteers they used to shoot during wartime. I have acquaintances I know are licking their chops in anticipation of the money to be carelessly flushed down the toilet in the coming months so the government at all levels can try to buy forgiveness for earlier ineptitude.

"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life."

Life of Brian

thfarrell

Sep 18, 2005, 11:05 AM

Post #14 of 20 (2368 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nancy4] If The U.S. is Wounded Everybody Bleeds

| Private Reply
Hi Nancy...

> I appreciate, so much, the font of information re Mexico

hmmm... do you mean the "cranky oldster chatroom" threads, like this one, where folks just sort of blather on, that seem never to be deleted/squashed while other non-relevant threads do?

Maybe it's supposed to be a lesson about the "hypocrisy" one hears so much about hereabouts... ??

Tom
---
"Beauty is in the i of the Beholder"
(Julia Mandelbrot)

Gringal

Sep 18, 2005, 11:54 AM

Post #15 of 20 (2354 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Yes, Bubba, we have the best government money can buy. We usually do, under either party.

Since I'm in cranky mode, I might as well vent some more: If I hear one more person add "God Bless America" to a political statement, up to and including the chief, I think I'll barf. If the old protestant ethic is correct, then God must really love the rich since they're getting richer. Conversely, the diety must just hate those poor folks down south, and must super-hate the Mexicans, many of whom are poorer still.

"God bless the child who's got his own."

(This post was edited by Gringal on Sep 18, 2005, 12:01 PM)

rickc

Sep 18, 2005, 12:15 PM

Post #16 of 20 (2345 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] If The U.S. is Wounded Everybody Bleeds

| Private Reply
What ever happened to the "NO POLITICS" on this site rule??

This thread has pasically degraded into a "Hate the US/Hate Bush" tirade.

Enough already!

Rich Chambers
Navigating the Sea of Life..

Gringal

Sep 18, 2005, 12:26 PM

Post #17 of 20 (2340 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rickc] If The U.S. is Wounded Everybody Bleeds

| Private Reply
Read the statement. "under either party".

Why do people react to anyone criticising the current direction of government by reducing the opposing opinion to "hatred"? Hatred is a strong negative emotion that should be saved for the likes of Hitler. I'm just sick and tired of anyone of either party or in the audience getting on a soap box and invoking "God Bless America" when it's got nothing whatsoever to do with what's been said. Bush does it; Clinton used to do it and a whole boatload of other politicos are and have been doing it.`I'm also sick of war and/or peace profiteering, no matter who's doing it. As you said: Enough, already.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Sep 18, 2005, 12:39 PM)

lakechapaladreamer

Sep 18, 2005, 1:01 PM

Post #18 of 20 (2322 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rickc] If The U.S. is Wounded Everybody Bleeds

| Private Reply
I have to say to you and other conservatives, that this thread was obviously started as a political thread, not as a request for info or anything else. No one forces you to start reading OR to continue reading if a thread doesn't meet your expectations. Most caring Americans, liberal OR conservative were/are appalled at the government's response to this disaster. For the few that excuse it, please allow the rest of us to have our own opinions. That is what democracy is all about, isn't it?

Bubba

Sep 18, 2005, 1:29 PM

Post #19 of 20 (2318 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lakechapaladreamer] If The U.S. is Wounded Everybody Bleeds

| Private Reply
Yes, this thread has become political. We are all suffering from having to face the utter failure of our government on all levels and must confront our obvious weaknesses. Regardless of one's political stance. it is not easy to confront reality.

Wait until they start flushing your money down the toilet while the profiteers enrich themrselves with your tax dollars. I know some of these people and they are having the famous four hour erection just anticipating the future arrival of your money.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Marta R

Sep 18, 2005, 4:00 PM

Post #20 of 20 (2286 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
This is bound to have an effect on expats and those who plan to become so: the feds recently announced that they will pay for the rebuilding of New Orleans (and, one hopes, other devastated Southern sites) not by raising taxes, but by cutting the budget. They can't cut that part of the budget that pays for rebuilding (by cronies, for the most part) so they'll probably look once again toward social services.

(edited to correct typos)

Marta

(This post was edited by Marta Randall on Sep 18, 2005, 4:01 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4