Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jmkelley

Sep 17, 2005, 7:38 AM

Post #26 of 43 (2000 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ro_mex] howdy yall, wife and I want to be free

Can't Post | Private Reply
I would suggest you try renting in a small town for a bit until you find your way around. Guadalajara seems to be the silicon valley of Mexico with few programmers in other areas. There are internet cafes all over and you may find some run by those who speak English as a research aid.

The coastal area is kind to gringos who come there in droves for vacations with several small towns between Puerto Vallarta and Tepic. Rents are of all prices depending upon your taste. The smaller places will be a lot cheaper, the more expensive found online.

Happy hunting.

Esteban

Sep 17, 2005, 9:08 AM

Post #27 of 43 (1991 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rjkveton] Beating a dead horse

If a person is working as a programmer then using VOIP may not necessarily be essential. However, as we all know, the technology is improving everyday and like I said, I 've heard that there are some very good systems coming down the pipe. Let's say that with an initial 3 to 4 thousand USD startup and less than $100 a month you may even be able to get good enough upload speeds to use VOIP. I think it's a given that satellite internet is the future. We have the technology it's just a matter of making it affordable to be sold in prime time.

Brian

Sep 17, 2005, 9:17 AM

Post #28 of 43 (1990 views)

Shortcut

I don't use satellite for internet connectivity but, for those who do, the following company indicates that it's VOIP offers them a solution: http://www.crystalvoicelive.com/

saludos
Brian

julian3345

Sep 17, 2005, 9:37 AM

Post #29 of 43 (1984 views)

Shortcut

OK, OK, so I'm in the boonies of Zacatecas and I do have a DSL line at home from Telmex. Costs $35 a month which, added to my base 'phone service, taxes etc makes telephone and internet service my second largest monthly expense -after rent! Those of us here who have the Infintum (DSL) service rather than Prodigy (dial-up) sometimes have a "fuera de servicio" which requires a call to TELMEX. (The modem shows and orange light rather than a green light) They do have English speaking techies and one of them finally admitted to me that the demand for service has outstripped their infrastructure in this area which causes these lapses in service. I have not had much difficulty with my PC to phone long distance provider as long as the DSL line is working. The most developed cyber "cafe" here in town has a stronger level of service and never has these lapses in DSL access. Joan

anna

Sep 17, 2005, 10:21 AM

Post #30 of 43 (1971 views)

Shortcut

Re: [julian3345] Beating a dead horse

Hi
I live in the boonies of Los Ayala, tiny town with no paved streets next to Rincon de Guayabitos. We have a cyber cafe with hi speed broadband access thru prodigy infinitum, our biggest problem was getting our original land line in, that took almost 6 months. Once landline hooked up 3 days later had hi speed access and also have wireless acces thru the same modem. We have had some down service problems as well but all in all very good service. I use Skype all the time to talk to family back home and for the public caseta we operate, comes thru clearer than the land line 100% of the time. What i was told was that all a person needs to have highspeed access is a land line and from there you are hooked up within 48 hours!

My dad who lives in a small town in The Okanagan in BC cant even get highspeed at all, and is stuck with dial up! Score one for Mexico!

johnv

Sep 17, 2005, 6:01 PM

Post #31 of 43 (1912 views)

Shortcut

I know that this discussion should be on the Technical Branch, but I am glad you brought up these points. I am currently researching satellite internet systems and was not aware of the Voip problem. I am now going to have to do more research, but I thought that some upload and download times advertised for satellite were higher than thoose actually provided by Prodigy Infinitum. I am currently using Voip on a slower than advertised Prodigy Infinitum connection, and it works flawlessly.

Lavanda

Sep 17, 2005, 6:36 PM

Post #32 of 43 (1897 views)

Shortcut

Re: DSL [julian3345] Beating a dead horse

Can't Post |
How do yu say DSL line en espanol ?

Lavanda

Sep 17, 2005, 7:13 PM

Post #33 of 43 (1884 views)

Shortcut

My thoughts Re: [ro_mex] howdy yall, wife and I want to be free

Can't Post |
1. If you hate beaurocracy, beware that Mexico INVENTED
and has perfected the Beaurocraatic Boondoggle. If you
look up the term in a pictoral dictionary it will show
a map of Mexico.

2. You canNOT just pack up and move to Mexico and go to
the (un)employment office and start a job search. In your case, you would need to have a job which would allow you
to work anywhere in the world via phone lines. I say
phone lines because you would need a phone, fax machine,
and an dependable internet connection, whether it be satellite, DSL, dial-up or other. You will need a pre-arranged employment situation where someone other
than a Mexican person or corporation would be the employer and would not be bothered by your not being able to meet face-to-face on a moment's notice.

3. You will need to have enough income to be able to
PROVE that you are self-supporting before you are able
to emigrate from Canada to Mexico.

4. Do you mean eastern Indian from India or do you mean native American Indian? Do you speak fluent Spanish/

Just being dark-complected does NOT mean you will can
fade into the crowd; you will be noticed and identified
as not-Mexican. That is not to say you will not be
welcomes or respected... that will depend on how you
behave and treat others. The Mexican people are, in general, a friendly people, but they need to be treated respectfully.

5. If you are planning a family, do you plan to give
birth to Mexican citizens?

Many people dream of getting away from it all... going
to a desert island to escape the world ... lounge on the beach in a hammock tied between two palm trees watching
the sunset and drink iced rum drinks with a parasol stuck
in it, and being fed grilled shrimp. But the reality is something else.

It is doable, but you may have to sacrifice a lot to do
it.

My advice is to save up a lot of money, and while you do that, do a LOT of homework. Learn FLUENT Mexican Spanish, not Spanish from Spain (or you will be made a laughingstock).

After studying carefully whether you prefer beach or mountains, hot climate or cooler, then decide upon a
region where you think you would like to live. Once
you decide and actually GO, try to stay in that vicinity
for the most part, so that you can really get to know the area, not just "see" it for a day or two.

Mexico is extremely beautiful and romantic, but harsh day-by-day reality is what you need to observe before actually MOVING there. That can only be accomplished
by staying in one area day-in and day-out for a while.
You may find that it is your paradise on earth, or you
just might find out that even the smallest Mexican custom will get on your last nerve.

I wish you luck and finding your dream place.

Love, Lavanda, who loves Mexico warts and all

johanson

Sep 17, 2005, 7:48 PM

Post #34 of 43 (1873 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Lavanda] DSL [julian3345] Beating a dead horse

They say DSL pronounced in Spanish of course. Sadly we only have ADSL here. The following is a quote from the prodigy web page were you should go to learn more. "Prodigy Infinitum (ADSL)"

I have often used two way satellite internet for voice communications. Yes there is a delay just like you see when someone on CNN is being interviewed from afar. It's no big deal, we used ham radio or military talk, each saying "over" when s/he was through speaking. Oh I hated it at first, but when there is no other economical way to communicate you get used to it

And Ana, not all is lost in the Okanagan. They have a great fixed WiFi network covering many square Km in that general area.Well actually near the Rocky mountains. I know they've got great broadband in many of the smaller cities in the lower mainland, in fact one of the more successful web designer/techs in Ajijic, who happens to be 23, got his training in Kelowna (where they have great high speed internet) and makes more per month than many of retirees ever did when they were NoB.

He uses two of the three (soon to be four) ISPs for broadband connectivity here in Ajijic. He has a fixed WiFi connection at slightly less than t-1 both up and down and an inifinitum ADSL connection at one Meg down and quite a bit slower up.

I have the same fixed WiFi connection as my primary connection and use the slowest Prodigy ADSL 512/128 advertised, actually about 440/65 Kb/sec as my backup. Oh that slow Infinitum connection costs $401 pesos including IVA (PST).

I don't know what my almost T-1 802.11b connection costs. I trade tech support for it. What I do know is that 512 up and down fixed WiFi connections goes for $60 US including tax in Ajiijc. and that there is about to be some changes with perhaps a 1 meg connection offered to the public.

I know several other folks who live along the Northern shores of Lake Chapala, one who uses two way satellite as his backup connection who continue to make their money over the internet.

julian3345

Sep 18, 2005, 6:40 AM

Post #35 of 43 (1822 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Lavanda] DSL [julian3345] Beating a dead horse

Exceso de velocidad....but the cyber geeks here all say and understand "DSL" (dee ess ell) Joan

Lavanda

Sep 18, 2005, 8:21 AM

Post #36 of 43 (1796 views)

Shortcut

Re: [julian3345] DSL [julian3345] Beating a dead horse

Can't Post |
Yhaks Johamsen y Julian,

So it is not Deh Ese Ele ?

Love, Lavanda

Miguel Palomares

Sep 18, 2005, 9:19 AM

Post #37 of 43 (1782 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pat] Emiliano Palomares is that you?

Can't Post |
Pat, whose profile is blank, opineth:

Don Palomares, is this your new persona?

You and Bubba think this fellow is me? I have only one persona, though the photo gets updated now and then. Ms. Powell, who is and never has been me, has gone to Soweto.

My advice to the original poster: Stay where you are. Everybody in their 20s wants to "escape." It is virtually impossible. The stumbling block is money.

Mexico, in spite of what you may read, is no bed of roses. Stay in Canada, which is a nice place, work hard, save your money, keep your nose clean, raise your kids with discipline and amor, and then when you get older, you can retire and move to Mexico where prices are significantly lower, which is the main reason to live here.

You are a brown guy, you say. So much the better. You can grow a nice moustache, buy a Winchester, some cartridges, and a sombrero. With these basics, fun can be had. Leave your wife out of it, tho. Women are better people.
From Tzurumutaro, Michoacan, "The Village of the Darned."

The nuts and bolts of moving to Mexico:
http://michaeldickson.blogspot.com/
The dark side of living in Mexico:
http://mexicopeeks.blogspot.com/
Scintillating life in a Mexican pueblo:
http://tzurumutaro.blogspot.com/
http://tzurumutaro2.blogspot.com/

Gringal

Sep 18, 2005, 9:55 AM

Post #38 of 43 (1780 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Emiliano Palomares] Emiliano Palomares is that you?

"Money won't buy you happiness, but it sure will buy you a lot of freedom." (Coyote)

(This post was edited by Gringal on Sep 18, 2005, 9:57 AM)

Bubba

Sep 18, 2005, 10:42 AM

Post #39 of 43 (1762 views)

Shortcut

It is quite clear to the intellectually challenged South Alabama Redneck Bubba that Ro_Mex, Ms Powell and Emiliano Palomares are one and the same person living in Lakeside 2 but desiring something more exotic such as Madison, Wisconsin or Berkeley, California where Bubba used to live and I must tell our amusing friends-in-one that where ever they go, there they are. It's really too bad but I learned that when I moved from Tuscaloosa to San Francisco. This was 1967 and Bubba was "wear(ing) some flowers in his hair".

Bubba enjoys y'all so keep it up.

Gringal

Sep 18, 2005, 1:02 PM

Post #40 of 43 (1730 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] howdy yall, wife and I want to be free

I'm technically challenged here. How could a person with one paid subscription manage to create all those "personas"? (Not that I'm not suspicious, too.) Some smart person help me out, please?

manda405

Sep 18, 2005, 4:11 PM

Post #41 of 43 (1687 views)

Shortcut

In Aug 2000, my husband (who is mexican) and I (19 at the time) decided that we wanted to go to live and work with his father on the farm they own in La Mira, Michoacan, Mex. Without much thought, I pulled out every penny from our savings account, left my comfy assistant manager position at the pizza place, packed up a few boxes with my beloved teddy bears and picture albums, hugged my heart broken mother, and said goodbye to everything and everyone I have ever known.

We lived pretty decently for about 8 months. I quickly learned enough spanish to get by on my own in town. I learned how to milk cows and make cheese. I washed our clothes by hand in the stream. I shot and skinned iguanas, armadillos, squirrels, and rabbits and then prepared them for dinner. I ate mangoes, coconuts, and watermelon until I was sick. It was like camping, it was great. Then the money we had brought with us starting running out and we quickly discovered that running a farm is not cheap and that the profits are not great. My husband got a job at a metal factory and became very irritable and moody due to the rotation of the shifts he worked and the lack of sleep. I became increasingly bored and homesick. My husband and his father started fighting about how to do things on the farm. After about a year, we decided to go back up to the states where money is more easily attainable and it doesn't cost half of your paycheck to fill your gas tank. (well it didn't THEN)

We have since moved back to Mexico because of certain family reasons. This time we have done so with very careful planning and budgeting. We both work and our kids attend a day care center.

You are looking at Mexico through the rose-colored glasses that country music and hollywood put on you. Yes Mexico has wonderful beaches, beautiful mountians, colorful cities, and the likes. Yes, Mexican way of life is a bit more relaxed and you can have huge fiestas that block entire city blocks until 4 in the morning. But there is also crime, corruption, and politics. There are 5 oclock traffic jams, utility bills, and annoying neighbors.
Moving to Mexico as an escape is not the answer. Unless you have a VERY large investment somewhere that brings in thousands of dollars a month, you are going to have to work. Just like everyone else.
Stay where you are, program your computers, put your kids in school. As long as you don't rack up too much credit card debt, you can move to Mexico in say, 25 or 30 years and retire like kings on some beach, some where.

What happens down in Mexico...Stays in Mexico.

Marlene

Sep 19, 2005, 7:24 PM

Post #42 of 43 (1617 views)

Shortcut

Re: [manda405] howdy yall, wife and I want to be free

That was a great first-hand account that you shared with the forum. Thank you for doing that.

alex .

Sep 20, 2005, 8:28 AM

Post #43 of 43 (1563 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] money won't buy happiness

but it darn sure will rent it for a while !
Alex
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4