Forums  > General > General Forum

Oscar2

Sep 15, 2005, 8:09 AM

Post #1 of 14 (1359 views)

Shortcut

A piece of Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
In part, Ed & Fran wrote:

The museum isn't very interesting unless you're a died in the wool Che Guevara fan.

There's a photo of Che Guevara holding a golf club on the wall of the clubhouse at the local course. It wasn't taken here though.]

Regards

E&F

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Above is an excerpt of your last post which struck a curious note, interesting in some ways about a resident here in Mexico past.

At times, in the most inopportune of moments my Alzheimer’s kicks in, big time, and memory gets fuzzy and a little vague but I seem to remember something about this in a movie I seen not to long ago which took place in Mexico, called “Motorcycle Diaries.” If my memory serves me correctly, I think it got an Academy Award or nomination. Please correct me if I’m mistaken but in the midst of this saga two young men in the pursuit of adventure (I think one was a doctor) somehow ended up at an outpost/hospital of a leper colony somewhere in Mexico (?) where they were welcoming assistants, doctors and nurses who had to cross a body of water to an island to get to this leopard colony.

One of the young men was portrayed as a believer and patriot of human rights of kinds and at the end of the movie revealed this young man who risked his life working in the leper colony, later on in his life turned up in Cuba as a liberator or gorilla freedom fighter called Che Guevara. Is this my Alzheimer’s telling me stories or is there a shred of truth to the movie I think I saw? Also does anyone know if this Leper colony still or ever did exist in the fabric of Mexico’s history or was all this just fictionalized into the movie to give it added drama?

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Sep 15, 2005, 9:43 AM)

Gringal

Sep 15, 2005, 8:55 AM

Post #2 of 14 (1334 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] A piece of Mexico

" Also does anyone know if this Leopard colony still or ever did exist in the fabric of Mexico’s history or was all this just fictionalized into the movie to give it added drama? "

I ordered "Motorcycle Diaries" a few months ago from Netflix, and the credits indicated that this was a true story about Che Guevara. At the end, they included information about what happened in the chief characters' lives later. If 'tis true, the leper colony existed, but it was in South America. I also recently read a book by Linda Ellerbee which was clearly autobiographical, and in which she refers to spending time in her late teens working at the same leper colony through a church group. BTW, the Ellerbee book is "Take Big Bites", is a pleasure to read, and has a chapter about her visit to San Miguel de Allende.

Oscar2

Sep 15, 2005, 11:23 AM

Post #3 of 14 (1287 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] A piece of Mexico

I believe the opening scene of “Motorcycle Diaries” took place in Mexico. Both of these spirited, gutsy, nutty, young guys, bid everyone one adieu with fan fare, mounted this motorcycle and headed deep into the southern most regions of Mexico and beyond to other destinations seemingly unknown to them at the time. If the leper colony was in South America, there misadventures took them thru Mexico and into South America through some of the most wildly, primitive dirt scratches, passages and fields strewn with pitfalls and weather unimaginable to get there.

If it’s true that this leper colony is the one they ultimately got to in South America, in hindsight, this even adds too and elevates the impact and drama of their misadventures. Was Che Guevara, born in Mexico or was he of Cuba decent originally? Or was it just his inner compassion for certain human rights which compelled him to fight for another country and rights he believed in? Was he killed in action or did he die of old age?

jennifer rose

Sep 15, 2005, 11:33 AM

Post #4 of 14 (1285 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
 Ernesto Rafael Guevara de la Serna, a.k.a. Che Guevara, was born in Argentina and killed in Bolivia at the age of 39. He was of Irish and Spanish descent.

Esteban

Sep 15, 2005, 11:42 AM

Post #5 of 14 (1279 views)

Shortcut

After becoming a doctor in Argentina, one of his compadres, a sort of political radical, convinced Che to take that motorcycle trip. They observed the condition of the average man in South America which provoked dreams of a south American continent without borders. After the US screwed over Guatemala's newly elected democratic government in 1952, Che was certain that his destiny was to help the poor against the imperialists. He was eventually caught from what many believe to be a movement funded by the CIA. However, the military elite in Bolivia knew he would become a martyr for the poor so they moved in ahead of the CIA and basically shot him in the back before he could be brought to trial for being an "insurgent".

(This post was edited by Esteban on Sep 15, 2005, 11:44 AM)

Blackjack Davie

Sep 15, 2005, 12:01 PM

Post #6 of 14 (1268 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] A piece of Mexico

Jennifer is correct as to Che's (Ernesto Guevarra) birth place as well as the place of his death. Whether one agrees with the political path upon which Che embarked, it is my opinion, that it would be difficult to refute his agenda. I have read "The Motorcycle Diaries" and saw the movie as well. A good account of this young man's life, however, if one has no knowledge of his activities as an adult, it would be easy to dismiss the book/movie as simply a good read about a compassionate young man. Another account of his life is a book named, "The Death of Che Guevarra." A very difficult book to read but well worth the effort. It details his political work and one would have to acknowledge that he was a motivated, determined and altruistic person. I sometimes use the "Hagar the Horrible" comic strip to explain his determination and absolute belief that good would prevail. Think of Hagar, standing on a cliff with three or four of his followers, under attack by a battalion of soldiers, and Hagar saying, "men, don't take any prisoners!" I know he has a controversial legacy but he is a person for whom I have great admiration. David

Blackjack Davie

Sep 15, 2005, 12:12 PM

Post #7 of 14 (1254 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] A piece of Mexico

Oops! When I saw Jennifer's post I got so excited that I responded to her and the original poster, without looking on to what Esteban had to say in the matter. I think he summed the story up very well. A heck of a story and well worth researching.

Oscar2

Sep 15, 2005, 1:05 PM

Post #8 of 14 (1234 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] A piece of Mexico

Googled and found a stirring piece on Che Guevara, who correctly, in the movie was originally the doctor, along with a friend who traveled together on their wild and adventurous excursion.
When I read Ed & Fran’s piece indicating there was some kind of memorial for Che Guevara in Mexico, I incorrectly assumed the Latin country they embarked on their plight was Mexico. It’s nothing serious, just another memory glitch consuming more blueberries is supposed to ameliorate.
Also keep in mind Blockbuster movie rentals here at $24.00 per month can get you up to 60 movies per month, that’s 2 movies a day available which is ridiculous but after awhile movies in of themselves become just a blur, especially with my memory. We wait, are a bit more selective but still run into some which you can kick yourself in the butt for spending even a minute watching.
None the less, I’m adding a couple of websites which to me added even a much greater dimension to this compelling true story of that which originally appeared to be just two young men who were bent on the universe being their guide. The ways of fate never cease to amaze me.

http://www.time.com/...ofile/guevara01.html

http://www.che-lives.com/...umbnails&album=1

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Sep 15, 2005, 3:11 PM)

Blackjack Davie

Sep 16, 2005, 4:54 AM

Post #9 of 14 (1131 views)

Shortcut

OK, I will try not to post anymore on this particular thread but I did want to thank Oscar2 for the excellent links provided on this subject. Really good stuff.

Ed and Fran

Sep 16, 2005, 8:36 PM

Post #10 of 14 (1011 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Blackjack Davie] A piece of Mexico

I didn't see the movie, but I'm sure it was more interesting than the museum............

E&F

1ajijic

Sep 18, 2005, 9:15 AM

Post #11 of 14 (919 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] A piece of Mexico

The Robert Redford movie was on Starchoice just the other night, so you may be able to catch it again. The duo, according to the movie, in 1952 left their native Argentina to tour South America ending in Venezuela. According to the movie, two Chilean sisters recognized the duo as Argentineans because Argentineans always say "che". Thus the nickname?
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

cristalhombre

Sep 18, 2005, 9:36 AM

Post #12 of 14 (911 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1ajijic] A piece of Mexico

Great story and film (Motorcycle Diaries did get awards at Sundance, but it is not a Robert Redford flix). If you are into Che (I think it is a fascinating story of a gifted young person transformed by the plight of humanity) find the book "Chasing Che", by Patrick Symmes, an interesting portrait of the Latin culture. He is an icon to this day. I believe it was filmed entirely in South America, (not in MX)

I think I saw this book at the LCS library when I was down there in July.

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

1ajijic

Sep 19, 2005, 6:51 AM

Post #13 of 14 (837 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cristalhombre] A piece of Mexico

In the credits Redford was noted as producer or director?
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

cristalhombre

Sep 19, 2005, 8:09 AM

Post #14 of 14 (813 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1ajijic] A piece of Mexico

Just looked it up and you are correct, about Redford as a producer. No wonder I liked the film so much!

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4