Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Nancy4

Sep 14, 2005, 8:46 PM

Post #26 of 56 (11184 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tony] Always carry TP!!

| Private Reply
Having your own toilet tissue is a good idea for I once had to pay some fellow sitting outside the restroom. I got 4 squares! Somewhere on Rte. 200 in God's country. I joked with him about it and he said, "Si, and shook his head yes and smiled the ol' MX smile." Like, he didn't have a clue what I said. I thought it was funny.

live and learn.

Nancy4

Sep 14, 2005, 9:08 PM

Post #27 of 56 (11178 views)

Shortcut

Re: [aaction1] First time travleling to Mexico question

| Private Reply
Has anyone tried Lomotil? I purchase it SOB. Also, I come prepared. From the States I bring Biaxin and Diphenoxylate/atropine tabs. Haven't had to use them yet. However, taking the Lomotil two weeks before entering MX and two weeks after returning the States can make a big difference. The food shift can be brutal. It calms and controls the upset sensation and that yucking feeling of needing to carry a bucket around. Helps both ends actually (sorry).

For just upset stomachs there is nothing better than lime and coke (the soft drink)! Mexican know the best stuff to take. Who knows better than them!

Your common sense is your best guide. Don't forget to disinfect where you stay, too! I carry paper towels, chlorox, lysol spray and alcohol. I disinfect every place even before luggage comes in. Another good place to disinfect frequently is your steering wheel. That won't help your friends who aren't driving, but it never hurts.

I also always always use straws. I don't drink out of glasses! However, as my husband noticed, I do drink and eatfrom cups and dishes, and utencils. LikeI said, common sense and whatevermakes you feel better.

Good luck.

Nancy4

Sep 14, 2005, 9:11 PM

Post #28 of 56 (11178 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] First time travleling to Mexico question

| Private Reply
I forgot to mention this on my recent message re sicknesses. For those you go back and forth between MX and the States, has anyone gotten the series of shots for Hepatitus? One shot before you go and there should be a follow-up shot.

Interested in all this great info. Thanks everyone.

Nancy4

Sep 14, 2005, 9:17 PM

Post #29 of 56 (11175 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] First time travleling to Mexico question

| Private Reply
We are big seafood eaters. I really worry about it especially that there is sooo much pollution in the Mexican waters.

I will copy your advice. Any other tips re good seafood vs. bad seafood.

How do you know if the fishermen got these fishes where they say. Or do we have to make another leap of faith?

The only good thing out of this is, you do tend to drop a few pounds. I never knew of so many serious illnesses. And, too, any foods with skins are to be eaten scarcely, true?

Gracias.

Nancy4

Sep 14, 2005, 9:20 PM

Post #30 of 56 (11173 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jtomich4] First time travleling to Mexico question

| Private Reply
Would you be kind enough to share this iodine solution to those of us who love fruits and veggies?

Gracious.

Nancy4

Sep 14, 2005, 9:22 PM

Post #31 of 56 (11174 views)

Shortcut

Re: [julian3345] First time travleling to Mexico question

| Private Reply
Thanks for the Daxon info. Will make sure I have a supply...just in case.

Gracias.

Nancy4

Sep 14, 2005, 9:27 PM

Post #32 of 56 (11172 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] First time travleling to Mexico question

| Private Reply
You make a great point! Would we be able o know for sure what "bug" we had? Or do we just wing it? I guess if you get one of these serious illnesses, you'll know you need a doctor.

I tend to take precautions, as I have said before, but I don't worry about everything I eat. I just watch what I eat (and pray). Much like I do when I am in New York City! Same thing there!

Good, sound advise, gpk. Thanks.

Anonimo

Sep 15, 2005, 1:03 AM

Post #33 of 56 (11161 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nancy4] First time travleling to Mexico question

| Private Reply
We avoid using Lomotil or even Imodium AD until there's no other recourse. The Lomotic tranquilizes the intestines and leaves you with all the nasty toxins of the infection inside. Diarrhea is Nature's way of cleansing your GI tract. Unpleasant, sure, but necessary.
Answers.com states:

Lomotil
Lomotil is the trade name of a popular oral anti-diarrheal drug in the United States, manufactured by Pfizer.

Its active ingredients are diphenoxylate and atropine. Diphenoxylate is anti-diarrheic and atropine is anticholinergic. Diphenoxylate is chemically related to the narcotic drug meperidine. Atropine is used to treat diarrhea that is not caused by infection with bacteria. The medication works by slowing down the movement of the intestines.

The inactive ingredients of Lomotil are cherry flavor, citric acid, ethyl alcohol 15%, FD&C Yellow No. 6, glycerin, sodium phosphate, sorbitol, and water.

Other trade names for the same therapeutic combination are Lofene, Logen, Lomanate and Lonox, among others. In other countries, Lomotil may have other names.

Contraindications

Absolute contraindications for Lomotil are:

Allergy to diphenoxylate or atropine
Presence of jaundice
Diarrhea associated with pseudomembranous enterocolitis, diarrhea caused by antibiotic treatment) or diarrhea caused by enterotoxin-producing bacteria.

Here's a link to lots of info on Loperamide (Imodium and Imodium AD)
http://www.answers.com/...ver=1.0.19#copyright

Saludos,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Sep 15, 2005, 1:10 AM)

Esteban

Sep 15, 2005, 7:56 AM

Post #34 of 56 (11116 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I'm not sure where you got the idea the Mexican waters are so polluted???? Especially on the west coast. As usual, near most cities(worldwide) with large harbors, you'll find pollution but the good eating fish like Mahi Mahi (in Mexico=Dorado), t come from the open ocean and are not contaminated to my knowledge.

As far as taking a dose of Daxon every so often is ABSOLUTELY counter productive to long term good health. Do you think we would all be healthier if we had taken quarterly doses of Penicillin throughout our lives? If you think you might have an intestinal problem you can take a stool sample to a lab and have it analyzed. Take the results to a doctor for diagnosis. Or, just go to the doctor. It won't cost much and you won't have to have an appointment.

Marlene

Sep 15, 2005, 8:17 AM

Post #35 of 56 (11111 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] First time traveling to Mexico question

| Private Reply

If you get sick in Mexico, go to a doctor. It will probably cost under US$20.00 and you'll be able to find out if you have a bacteria, virus or parasite

Exactly...and to pay a visit to the Dr. Simi walk-in clinics located in the Farmacia Similares, it will cost only $2.00 US (20 pesos actually). We have a friend who is a doctor in one of these clinics in Mazatlan and he is just as qualified as the next GP. He will recommend lab work if he feels it necessary or put you on the right track as far as prescribing what medicines to take for stomach or other ailments. (Typhoid and Dengue are still common here and need immediate and specialized medication courses) This would be a much better bet than self-diagnosing in a foreign country.

(This post was edited by Marlene on Sep 15, 2005, 8:19 AM)

Nancy4

Sep 15, 2005, 2:17 PM

Post #36 of 56 (11057 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I am sorry if I gave you the impression that I thought so much of the waters in Mexico are polluted. I travled the West Coast from Acapulco to San Carlos and saw some of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. I believe most were beaches to the open ocean. I read several posts that gave the proximity of beaches (perhaps bays, maybe rivers, lakes, etc.) that were quite polluted. I found the info extremely helpful. Please, I have a condo within the 50 kilometers coastal waters in Acapulco. I surely don't think the waters are terrible. If you search for "polluted waters" you will find some extremely precise polluted waters.

As for the medicines mentioned here. This site is a fine place for information, but si, when I get sick, then I will go to a doctor.

Gracias.

Esteban

Sep 15, 2005, 2:45 PM

Post #37 of 56 (11052 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Like I mentioned earlier, bays, no matter where they are, if close to a large metro area, are usually polluted. I looked for other pollution doing a search on both google and mexconnect but found only info on Lake Chapala and a few hits on the Gulf of Mexico. I do know that we have had our share of pollution from the dumping of organic wasted in the estuaries here in Mazatlan. The waste is from the tuna processing plants with their waste from tuna parts depleting the oxygen in the water which inhibits the decomposition process. I'm interested in what you are referring to when it comes to pollution on or near the beaches of Mexico especially on the west coast.

lakechapaladreamer

Sep 15, 2005, 3:17 PM

Post #38 of 56 (11042 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Nancy might be refering to the appetizing thread Bubba started on Aug 22 in the General forum titled "Night of the Aguanegra ".

Nancy4

Sep 16, 2005, 5:43 AM

Post #39 of 56 (10999 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lakechapaladreamer] First time travleling to Mexico question

| Private Reply
That's it!

Esteban

Sep 16, 2005, 7:20 AM

Post #40 of 56 (10987 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
You based your findings about the water situation in Mexico on a post by Bubba? All you have to do is say that name to yourself a hundred times and you'll be enlightened to all that exists here. And as all good Hindu's say: "Can the monkey know the taste of ginger?"

aaction1

Sep 16, 2005, 11:21 AM

Post #41 of 56 (10956 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
OH NO! you opened the door for Bubba.
I said that name to myself a hundred times so I'm now enlightened to all that exists here.
Thanks again

HHERRINGTON

Sep 16, 2005, 12:04 PM

Post #42 of 56 (10951 views)

Shortcut

Re: [aaction1] First time travleling to Mexico question

| Private Reply
There is a cure, reverse Bubbas name and say it a hundred and one times. (Abbub). Sorry it is not enlightment, just a temporary shortness of breath.
----------------------------------------------------

Life is too complicated to be expressed in one liners.

Bubba

Sep 16, 2005, 12:49 PM

Post #43 of 56 (10944 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Only a monkey could answer that. Fotunately, Hindus are reincarnated, sometimes as monkeys so they can seek enlightenment on their way to blissful oblivion .

We Christians and Moslems only have wine, honey and virgins to look forward to and sitting around all day staring at God the way my dogs stare at Bubba thinking, "May we come in and worship you now oh wonderful one?"

By the way, Mazatlan was not included in the MURAL survey I reported under The Night of The Aguanegra post because they were concentrating on popular beach resorts only.

As Estaban and Jim Jones know, if you keep repeating the same bullshit over and over, you begin to believe it.

I have to admit, however, that that was a clever post.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Sep 16, 2005, 12:50 PM)

Esteban

Sep 16, 2005, 1:33 PM

Post #44 of 56 (10931 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] First time travleling to Mexico question

| Private Reply
The ginger monkey thing, a real Hindu quote by the way, was put there for the sole purpose of keeping the enigma alive. Truth, only the monkey really knows but after saying Bubba over and over 100 times, I'm beginning to believe that even kool-aid will taste like ginger. God I love that girl.

Saying that Mazatlan is not a popular beach resort is so true. Maybe that's why we step out of the water cleaner than when we went in.

They have been taking coliform tests on a regular basis from the beach at Olas Altas (the one nearest the sewage treatment plant), Playa Los Pinos (my surf spot), North Beach (where most of the rip current deaths occur) and the Golden Zone. On different occasions all have shown good results as well as bad. However, not by any stretch of the imagination do these findings compare to the pollution found in most large bays like you'd find in Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta, Seattle or where the soupy East River hits the Statue of Liberty.

The Ocean will handle a lot of organic sewage which is the type found here in Mazatlan. Hell, take a look at pristine Vancouver Island and the pure raw sewage that has been dumped into the Straits of Juan de Fuca from the city of Victoria since the beginning of time.

"Wash your hands in the flowing Ganges."

Bubba

Sep 16, 2005, 8:08 PM

Post #45 of 56 (10890 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Oh, thank God. The sewage in Mazatalan is only organic. Like large and toxic turds. Thank God they don't have inorganic turds such as turds excreted by large butterflies on their way to Michoacan. Thank God we are not all stupid or are we.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Sep 16, 2005, 8:10 PM)

jmkelley

Sep 17, 2005, 7:49 AM

Post #46 of 56 (10857 views)

Shortcut

Seafood bought in interior

| Private Reply
Seafood bought in the interior of the USA can also be a problem at times. I was raised on the eastern end of Long Island in New York when we could still find clams and crabs in the local waters, my father went fishing often for bass and other fish. Today much of that has gone the way of the salmon on the east coast which now can only be found in Canada.

Fresh seafood in Mexico is no different than fresh seafood anywhere else. Know where and when to buy it.

Bubba

Sep 17, 2005, 11:59 AM

Post #47 of 56 (10835 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jmkelley] Seafood bought in interior

| Private Reply
Kelly:

Unfortunately, unless you catch the seafood yourself and know about marine pollution, you cannot know whether or not the scrumptious seafood you are eating is from pristine waters.

The Pacific waters at Mismaloya and Boca de Tomatlan are among the most beautiful of the Bay of Banderas but are utterly polluted.

When my wife was a kid on the Bay of Arcachon in France, a most beautiful and sweet smelling body of water on the Atlantic Coast, her grandfather used to bring back the most beautiful and excellent shrimp for the table at her house and much later the family found out he was catching them at the city's raw sewage outlets which provided the fattest and most tasty crustaceans.

Bon appetit.

Ed and Fran

Sep 17, 2005, 1:05 PM

Post #48 of 56 (10823 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Seafood bought in interior

| Private Reply
...he was catching them at the city's raw sewage outlets which provided the fattest and most tasty crustaceans.

So, did the family usually get sick from eating them?

Bubba

Sep 17, 2005, 2:02 PM

Post #49 of 56 (10813 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Seafood bought in interior

| Private Reply
In France in the 1950s, people were often sick with what thay called" liver distress" . We forget this. When I was a kid living near Montgomery, it was common to dump untreated sewage into nearby creeks until the poiio epedemic in the mid 50s. Anybody here remember those iron lungs? Maybe some of you have spent the last 50 years living in one of those things.

There is nothing amusing about any of this.

Imagine watching the water rise inch by inch until you slowly drown and there you are swollen up in death and the Chief idiot is going "Brownie, you are doing a heck-of-a-job" while you make your way back to dust. I am disgusted that a country with unlimited resources abandons its sick and poor while those with means run off to a Holiday Inn in Birmingham or Atlantawhere they can seek relief at a Ruth Chris Steakhouse.

The U.S. has lost its soul.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Sep 17, 2005, 2:05 PM)

Ed and Fran

Sep 17, 2005, 2:48 PM

Post #50 of 56 (10803 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Seafood bought in interior

| Private Reply
Imagine watching the water rise inch by inch until you slowly drown and there you are swollen up in death and the Chief idiot is going "Brownie, you are doing a heck-of-a-job" while you make your way back to dust. I am disgusted that a country with unlimited resources abandons its sick and poor while those with means run off to a Holiday Inn in Birmingham or Atlantawhere they can seek relief at a Ruth Chris Steakhouse.

The U.S. has lost its soul.

Where the hell did that come from and what does it have to do with anything that has been posted on this thread??? I thought your anti-U.S. rant was on another thread.

Ed
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4