Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

fanstone

Sep 13, 2005, 8:22 AM

Post #1 of 4 (3033 views)

Shortcut

Barra- help!

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am planning to come down to Barra in the next few months to see whether I can find an existing building that could be made into 2-4 1 or 2 bedroom appartments for myself and a couple of friends and their wives, all in our 50's. I am an architect in Toronto and have some reasonable experience in similar projects. I am looking for something that would be comfortable for 3 or more months a year. I am not adverse to looking at an uncompleted or smaller building that could be expanded. My wife and I have looked in a number of other areas in Mex. and feel that Barra might be the right place.

How is situation there after recent earthquake?

Your comments please!

Tim

(This post was edited by fanstone on Sep 13, 2005, 10:21 AM)

Don

Sep 13, 2005, 12:56 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3010 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fanstone] Barra- help!

What earthquake are you talking about? The one that hit Colima, Colima several years ago? If yes, no problems in Barra or Melaque.

rickc

Sep 13, 2005, 3:36 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2993 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don] Barra- help!

In all but a few cases you will see no remaining earthquake damage in the Melaque/Bara area. One of the large resort hotels on the North end of Melaque is still in shambles and has not been rebuilt, but that's really all the damage we noticed during our visit.

That's not to say, however, that there will likely be no more such strong earthquakes in that area. Basically, the Western portion of the state of Colima is still quite active in that regard.

The Colima volcano (about 80? miles from Bara) has been spouting off intermittently for the past six or eight months, and according to some, is destined to have another major eruption within the not-to-distant future.

Rich Chambers
Navigating the Sea of Life..

shoe

Sep 13, 2005, 7:16 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2973 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fanstone] Barra- help!

I do not know what earthquake you are referring to but the one a few months ago in the ocean off Manzanillo did nothing to the area. The one in 1995 that did a lot of damage in the Melaque area and the surrounding area was a long time ago and the area has recovered. The Melaque Hotel that is referred to as a tumbled down building has just been sold last week and they will be working a new place soon. The reason this took so long is a class action suit over ownership of the land.

There are places in both Melaque and Berra that should meet your needs. Just contact a real-estate person and they will show them to you. A 2/2 can built here in Melaque for $30K USD plus the land with no problem.

cya,
shoe

Nothing is intrinsically good or evil, but its manner of usage may make it so.
-St. Thomas Aquinas

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4