Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Bubba

Sep 12, 2005, 2:32 PM

Post #1 of 12 (1307 views)

Shortcut

First, Let's kill All the Lawyers

Can't Post | Private Reply
The lessons between living here in Mexico and the land of "Purple Mountain Majesties" could not have been clearer.

There was the Mexican military trying to feed destitute Americans living in a filthy and corrupted shithole with food they brought up from Mexico and their emergency kitchen was shut down by health department officials on the U.S. Gulf Coast because they were not using plastic gloves and face masks in keeping with supposed local standards in a destroyed and utterly compromised hurricane zone.

The next day the Mexicans were allowed to serve food to the poor living in filth along the Gulf Coast when they showed up with masks and gloves.

God Bless America my butt!

Even Monty Python could not have come up with this.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Sep 12, 2005, 2:35 PM)

Georgia

Sep 12, 2005, 3:00 PM

Post #2 of 12 (1286 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] First, Let's kill All the Lawyers

Please don't kill the lawyers. I'm happy with my life, Bubba. How about, instead, we kill all small-minded, unimaginative beaurocrats?

kirkswig

Sep 12, 2005, 3:15 PM

Post #3 of 12 (1274 views)

Shortcut

Whenever two gringos talk about something odd in Mexico, a frequent refrain heard at the end of the conversation is, "well, at least it makes sense to the Mexicans."

Do Mexicans say the same thing about the United States? That it must all make sense to the Norte Americanos?

Cause I'm here to tell ya, it just ain't so.

To boldly go where no wig has gone before.

not_ally

Sep 12, 2005, 3:18 PM

Post #4 of 12 (1273 views)

Shortcut

Truly preposterous. As for killing the lawyers, at least it would help with population control - seems like half the US population (including the posters here) are lawyers. Falls under the "if you can't do, teach; if you can't teach, litigate" corollary to the well known rule.
----------------------------
"The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly I discover there is no reason." John Cage

Texwheel

Sep 13, 2005, 1:12 PM

Post #5 of 12 (1157 views)

Shortcut

Well, Bubba, my nose has been knee deep in all the news regarding Katrina, and I haven't seen anything but positive reports about the Mexican aid to the US. (Don't ask me how one can get knee deep with a nose...I have no idea!)

But your report does not surprise me. There they are, where even the dust, once things dry, will be toxic...you think military medical claims from Desert Storm were large...wait until you see this one!!!...I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy...well, maybe Castro...to breath that crap, even less to have to wade through it.

You are right...and, as you don't know, I have told my (mostly) off MC line friends how I lived in NO years ago...it was a sump pit then, and is now. A quagmire. Unfit for human consumption...a great place for a 2-3 day convention of drunkeness and good food consumption. Nothing more.

It is a city of wonderful attitude built in the wrong place. We should not rebuild it there. If anywhere.

I have just decided that I, as a reasonably responsibe citizen of the US, will fight, with all that is politically in me...which ain't a lot...to oppose the rebuilding of New Orleans.

I heard a radio talk show propose that every displaced person could be given $150,000, to go wherever or spend as they please, and we'd be better off.

I don't know if that financially works out. But it's a start.
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

julian3345

Sep 13, 2005, 3:27 PM

Post #6 of 12 (1118 views)

Shortcut

Surely the valiant and generous Mexican military personnel detailed for Katrina relief should be wearing gloves and masks to protect themselves from the hellhole they are working in, notwithstanding local health statutes.
Joan

Ed and Fran

Sep 13, 2005, 3:45 PM

Post #7 of 12 (1108 views)

Shortcut

Re: [julian3345] First, Let's kill All the Lawyers

...protect themselves from the hellhole they are working in...

...their emergency kitchen was shut down by health department officials on the U.S. Gulf Coast because they were not using plastic gloves and face masks in keeping with supposed local standards in a destroyed and utterly compromised hurricane zone....

I thought the Mexican Army field kitchen was being set up in San Antonio, not in New Orleans or it's surrounding area. "Kelly USA" is the old Kelly Air Force Base.

Excerpt in part from the WOAI.com (San Antonio) website :

Flying the red, white and green Mexican flag prominently from the cab of every truck, a 44 vehicle Mexican Army convoy rolled through Texas and into San Antonio this afternoon, in an extraordinary mission to help Hurricane Katrina evacuees.
It's the first time an active duty Mexican Army brigade has operated on US soil since the Mexican War of 1846, and Ambassador Marta Lara, Mexico's Consul General in Texas, says it's an amazing day.
.....Mexican government officials said the 200 soldiers, who are unarmed, will set up a mobile kitchen on the grounds of Kelly USA which will serve 21,000 hot meals daily to hurricane victims and also to the people who have gathered to help them.
........The commander of the unit, Brigadier General Francisco Ortiz Valadez, was greeted by San Antonio Mayor Pro Tem Richard Perez, who welcomed him in Spanish. The unit then rolled onto a former parade ground at Kelly USA, which is now a sprawling office and industrial park, and began to unpack its equipment.
Officials say the unit will remain in San Antonio for twenty days

Or did they relocate it?

I know that San Antonio isn't necessarily the best town in the US (although we like it) but calling it a hellhole is going a bit far.

Regards

E&F

bournemouth

Sep 13, 2005, 5:12 PM

Post #8 of 12 (1079 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] First, Let's kill All the Lawyers

Ed: I think Bubba's fingers work independently of his brain - and I'll say no more, although the temptation is terrible!

Bubba

Sep 14, 2005, 8:26 AM

Post #9 of 12 (987 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] First, Let's kill All the Lawyers

That's OK, Bournemouth. Get it off your chest, you can't hurt Bubba.

Ed you may be right since I got my information second hand by Mexican friends who were offended by the Americans insult but also delighted at the comical aspect of this incident. By the way, you do recall that all food servers in the U.S. wear gloves and masks don't you? Especially three star chefs who become a part of the cuisine through their efforts..

carlw

Sep 14, 2005, 11:42 AM

Post #10 of 12 (945 views)

Shortcut

There have been many reports from people who were at the Superdome that when FEMA officials arrived to start processing them, the FEMAs would not approve any requests until they had been emailed or faxed to the Fema office, this to people knee-deep in water with no electricity or telephone service to be had in any direction. And today a Medical unit was interviewed, the leader stating that the doctors and nurses flew to NO to treat the injured and sick but couldn't get FEMA to airlift their medical supplies from Washington State because they couldn't fax the FEMA requisition

Georgia

Sep 14, 2005, 11:51 AM

Post #11 of 12 (940 views)

Shortcut

Re: [not_ally] First, Let's Not kill All the Lawyers

Psst. I wasn't that kind of lawyer. Not all lawyers are litigators. Some of us research, think and write. Usually in that order. Actually, when I was in private practice, I considered ending up in court to be a failure.

not_ally

Sep 14, 2005, 12:56 PM

Post #12 of 12 (918 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] First, Let's Not kill All the Lawyers

Sorry, I didn't mean you, Georgia. Actually since I *was* a litigator, thinking of my own stuff, I guess. Also how the public both underrrates (re integrity) and overrates (re facility) most attorneys. While most laywers I know and observed were pretty trustworthy, on the few occasions I was actually in court it was cringe-inducing how inarticulate, unprepared and unencumbered with gray matter most of the lawyers appearing were.
----------------------------
"The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly I discover there is no reason." John Cage

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4