Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

rrsell

Sep 12, 2005, 7:40 AM

Post #1 of 5 (3498 views)

Shortcut

neighborhoods in Guadalajara

Can't Post | Private Reply
My husband and I are coming to Guadalajara the end of October. We are interested in living in the city where there are other Americans/Canadians/Foreigners and Mexicans. Are there areas that would be recommended? Thank you. Sally

rickc

Sep 12, 2005, 8:03 AM

Post #2 of 5 (3490 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rrsell] neighborhoods in Guadalajara

Sally;

I've been told that you will need to have pretty good Spanish in order to comfortably live in Guadalajara proper. There are some small enclaves in Guadalajara where non-Mexicans live, but you'll find that most expatriats are located just a half hour south of the city in the Lake Chapala area.

Rich Chambers
Navigating the Sea of Life..

Bear

Sep 12, 2005, 9:42 AM

Post #3 of 5 (3485 views)

Shortcut

Private message Señor Dumois. He is very knowledgeable concerning the city and its Colonias.
He may be able to help you. He was very kind to me in that regard in the past. Bear

esperanza

Sep 12, 2005, 11:47 AM

Post #4 of 5 (3472 views)

Shortcut

Sally, even though there are thousands of expatriates from many countries living in Guadalajara, there isn't any particular area where you'll find a large group in one neighborhood. Unlike the Lake Chapala expatriates, most who live in Guadalajara are not retirees. Some live in Colonia Providencia, some in Chapalita, and others are scattered all over the city. I live in a lovely colonia and have never seen another foreigner in the neighborhood. Days go by without my hearing or speaking English.

You might want to look into the American Society (AMSOC) here in Guadalajara. Expatriate participation there is fairly limited, but the Society may offer you something you want or need.

It's immeasureably helpful to speak Spanish if you plan to live in the city.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Bubba

Sep 12, 2005, 4:29 PM

Post #5 of 5 (3452 views)

Shortcut

My first neighborhood choice in Guadalajara would be Chapalita. This is a gorgeous if somewhat dilapidated neighborhood with many beautiful trees. Next would be La Providencia. Zapopan, which is a suburb that has been absorbed by the big city, has many beautiful neighborhoods. The upscale subdivision of Bugambillias is strikingly beautiful and many hill homes have knockout views. You can find a home in Centro relatively cheaply and be near all the action. Avoid distant suburbs unless you wish to live at Lakeside which is very nice but the key in Guadalajara is to be in an area where you can get just about anywhere you want to be on a bus.

Like all big cities, Guadalajara is a beautiful place with many areas you would not want to be caught dead in. In general, avoid Eastern Guadalajara and its suburbs including the famous suburbs of Tonala and Tlaquepaque. Much of their residential areas are not desirable.

If you speak Spanish and don't need to be in the big city, I suggest you look at Tapalpa and Sayula. Nice places.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4