Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bubba

Aug 31, 2005, 10:45 AM

Post #1 of 29 (3198 views)

Shortcut

New Restaurant

Can't Post | Private Reply
It appears that a new restaurant called (I think) Parrilla Argentina will be opening soon in West Ajijic near Sr. Sushi. Oh Lord, let it be true and make them use real Argentine beef or a beef of similar quality.

esperanza

Aug 31, 2005, 1:43 PM

Post #2 of 29 (3141 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] New Restaurant

I've heard the same rumor--that Mesón de Ajijic is converting to an Argentine restaurant.

In the meantime, oh great Bubba, have you been to Estancia Gaucha in Guadalajara? Best steak I've eaten in Mexico, tender, flavorful, and perfectly cooked. You might want to try it next time you're in the city.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Bubba

Aug 31, 2005, 3:02 PM

Post #3 of 29 (3128 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] New Restaurant

We'll talk about the place in Guadalajara later but for now, here is the latest scoop.

The new restaurant in Ajijic is actually an old restaurant but with new management and menu in the Rancho del Oro Shopping Center in West Ajijic. It is called Restaurante Barrio de Guilmes and the new owner swears he is serving the best Argentinian beef cooked over a wood fire and Bubba will try this but cannot vouch for it yet. I'll tell you that I hope he is good because this is what we need here.

Praise the Lord.

1ajijic

Aug 31, 2005, 3:08 PM

Post #4 of 29 (3123 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] New Restaurant

We were at the Gaucha and apparently a party in the next room wanted more salsa. The obedient and efficient waiter promptly went to the dirty dishes cart and retrieved a bowl of salsa and quickly delivered it! The service was amazing. We like the beef at the La Matera restaurant across from the La Destileria on Av. Mexico. They have valet parking.
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

Bubba

Aug 31, 2005, 4:06 PM

Post #5 of 29 (3109 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1ajijic] New Restaurant

We found the food at La Matera to be dreadful. In all my life I have never had such really bad beef as in Guadalajara but I have had good beef in that city if it was imported. Mexican beef is about the worst there is on the planet. Cardboard would be an improvement.

I enjoyed the beef at the Argentinian restaurant called, La Parrillia Argentina in Guadalajara. I must try this other place Esperanza recommends even if they do recycle salsa. After all that is a fine Chinese tradition.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Aug 31, 2005, 4:14 PM)

Georgia

Aug 31, 2005, 8:48 PM

Post #6 of 29 (3059 views)

Shortcut

Have any of you ever tried Bariloche, an Argentinian restaurant in Guadalajara, kind of near Zapopan? We've been there many times, always had a good experience, except for one time one of us got a tough piece of beef which was really an odd occurrence.

1ajijic

Sep 1, 2005, 8:40 AM

Post #7 of 29 (3006 views)

Shortcut

Bubba did you have the steak at La Matera? They do say it is Argentinean. What was so dreadful and what did they say?

We once went to a steakhouse on Lazaro Cardinas. We had two steaks. One was fine and the other completely impossible to eat. We spoke to the waiter and then the manager and the answer was - so? No - we'll get you another one, no - we'll take it off the bill, no - can we offer something else. We paid the bill reluctantly and tipped the waiter for his service, but, will never go back.

The greatest problem we have seen with all restaurants lakeside, Guadalajara and elsewhere here in Mexico is lack of uniformity of product as in above - one steak fine the other impossible. We buy Soriana steaks and age them our selves. In the same package of two steaks we have found a world of difference.

bdudge

Sep 1, 2005, 10:32 AM

Post #8 of 29 (2987 views)

Shortcut

Hmmmmm. Is it not a tad presumptious, self-righteous, and hypocritical to now be praying to the Lord for Argentinian beef?
Barbara

Bubba

Sep 1, 2005, 12:19 PM

Post #9 of 29 (2966 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bdudge] New Restaurant

Hypocrisy is the grease that keeps civilization on track. It is as necessary as the air we breathe. But keep in mind that my internet pleas to the lord for anything, including Argentinian beef, are posed as a mockery of those who sincerely think God is going to deliver them the world's best pastrami sandwich because they really, really wanted one and closed their eyes and begged for one with utmost sincerity.

I must say that La Matera is actually a very nice place and very popular restaurant and they have a wood burning pizza oven so I'll go back there. I may have also just gotten a poorly prepared steak the day I was there and would have a better experience in the future.

While beef served as large steaks around here seems to be pretty mediocre in general, they make wonderful arrachera (skirt steak) and other beef products plus wonderful lamb and goat and pork dishes. Their chicken here is at least as good as in the states and, in my opinion, even better.

When I first lived in France I discovered that large beef steaks and roasts in France were tough and practically inedible but the popular (beef) entrecote, a thinly sliced and extremely flavorful cut of meat, was delicious and a treat. Entrecote with bearnaise and French fries among the best dishes on the planet. The same is true here. Instead of the large and thick American or Argentinian cuts, try the arrachera served in Mexico. When done properly it is some of the best beef you will ever eat. Spice it up right and it also can become a Korean dish.

Adjust and enjoy this nice place. We can always go to an American steak house when we are there. If you ate that every day it would kill you dead.

Uncle Jack

Sep 1, 2005, 1:14 PM

Post #10 of 29 (2952 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bdudge] New Restaurant

It is true. Bubba has a habit of appealing to the deity with a number of odd requests. In the case of Argentine beef, I'm almost inclined to join him in this particular solemn petition

Several years ago, I spent about 8 weeks in Buenos Aires courtesy of CBS while “covering” the Falklands War. It was a great war to “cover” as the fighting was 1400 miles away from Buenos Aries and the press was restricted to a 100-mile area surrounding BA. Each day, after a couple of press conferences and maybe a “Photo Op” or two, all of us stalwart War Correspondents and Combat Cameramen had little else to do other than plan where we were all going to have a late lunch and an even later supper. Buenos Aires has hundreds of great restaurants.

Argentine beefs are mostly free range and grass fed. They are not shot full of hormones and anti-biotics, and they are not fattened on grain mixed with waste animal protein. It is not as tender as U.S. feed lot beef, but it sure as Hell tastes better.

Returning home after 8 weeks from this kind of training table gorging I could not eat U.S. beef for almost 6 months. It didn’t taste good and it smelled bad.

uj

Jerry@Ajijic

Sep 1, 2005, 1:59 PM

Post #11 of 29 (2940 views)

Shortcut

Bubba, you have found a winner.The steaks are the best we have had in Mexico. The cut that I had was very tender and HUGE. I could only eat about half of it and when we got home we weighted the part I brought home (about 1/2 of the steak) and it weighted about 8 ozs. Even for you Bubba this would be a meal.

bdudge

Sep 1, 2005, 2:22 PM

Post #12 of 29 (2936 views)

Shortcut

Now, come on. You know that first paragraph is pure bull.

Do hope you enjoy the beef though.
Barbara

mjeble

Sep 3, 2005, 7:05 AM

Post #13 of 29 (2822 views)

Shortcut

I too want to put my stamp of approval on this gem. Last night we had a delicious meal there. The beef was wonderfully tender and the flavor was just great. I told them that we would definitely be back.

Myra

Listen to what I mean, not what I say.

song_of_joy

Sep 3, 2005, 5:20 PM

Post #14 of 29 (2766 views)

Shortcut

We were at Barrio de Quilmes in Guadalajara last week and can confirm that the new Ajijic restaurant is under the same management.

We absolutely love Quilmes. Every single time we've been there over the last 4 years, it has been excellent.

The owner is Dutch; the management Argentine.

Bubba

Sep 3, 2005, 5:54 PM

Post #15 of 29 (2758 views)

Shortcut

Re: [song_of_joy] New Restaurant

I think we are lucky to have this place. Things seem to be looking up in these parts.

Several other new restaurants at Lake Chapala are quite good and seem to be doing well.

Tonight we are enjoying some more ribs from Smitty's Carolina BBQ in Riberas and Damn are those ribs good. 'Scuse me. Damn am them ribs good!

(This post was edited by Bubba on Sep 3, 2005, 6:10 PM)

nonmeister

Sep 4, 2005, 1:05 AM

Post #16 of 29 (2721 views)

Shortcut

AM FROM GOLDSBORO, NC SO DON'T KID ME ABOUT BBQ. I AM A CAROLINA BBQ ADDICT. AS YOU CAN SEE I AM UP WRITING LATE. TRULY A WEIRD WOMAN.

Uncle Jack

Sep 4, 2005, 7:16 AM

Post #17 of 29 (2691 views)

Shortcut

Yesterday morning started with a trip to Dr. Haro's office to have eight new crowns bolted into place. (Yup, I've got that Pepsodent smile again) Well, to celebrate my new set of meat mashers, I decided to try a new restaurant. In keeping with the policy here of trying not to libel or slander any local business, I will not mention this new place by name.

I arrived about 2:00 P.M. for a late lunch. There were only two other tables occupied and I thought that strange for the comida hour on a Saturday. Service was warm and friendly and I had a cold beer and a chilled glass in just a couple of minutes. I ordered a rib-eye medium rare.

They brought me a salad bowl large enough for two people and I ate the whole thing...nice crisp lettuce, slice mild white onion, and sliced ripe tomatoes lightly dressed with mild vinaigrette. Then came the steak.

Contrary to some other reports, the steak was not huge. I would guess that was average size…maybe 8/9 ounces. This place seems to actually know what medium rare means. The steak was cooked perfectly. The first bite tasted fine and the meat was tender. The problem was it was too tender. It had that unmistakable mushy texture of a piece of beef that stayed too long at the meat tenderizer party.

Although I wasn’t real happy with the texture of the meat, I must admit I ate it all. By 2:30 in the afternoon, I was hungry enough to take a big bite out of the south end of a northbound rhinoceros. That’s when I notice that the meal consisted of just the salad and the steak. That was it. I may be getting more penurious in my old age, but for 90 plus pesos I would kinda like to see a baked potato or a couple of French fries on the plate.

uj

dleach

Sep 6, 2005, 8:00 AM

Post #18 of 29 (2594 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] New Restaurant

Bubba,

Can you give directions to Smitty's Carolina Bar-B-Que in Riberas?
How does it compare to Jose's Place in Chapala?
Thanks

David

Jerry@Ajijic

Sep 7, 2005, 8:12 AM

Post #19 of 29 (2535 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dleach] New Restaurant

It is just about across the street from the new Catholic church on the north side of the highway.

Bubba

Sep 7, 2005, 3:14 PM

Post #20 of 29 (2489 views)

Shortcut

dleach:

I'm sorry but I do not know zip about Chapala. I don't even know who Jose is. I have never eaten even one meal at a restaurant in Chapala unless one considers Riberas to to part of Chapala which it and Ajijic certainly are politically. I would appreciate hearing about nice places to eat there from some of you who are familiar with the restaurant scene in that town. I've been meaning to try that new Belgian Waffle place.

Bubba

Sep 7, 2005, 3:32 PM

Post #21 of 29 (2481 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nonmeister] New Restaurant

Nonmeister:

So, what are you saying? I'll tell you what I am saying. This BBQ may not be up to Billy Bob's BBQ in Goldsboro in your mind but then, on the other hand, you don't have to live in that Bunghole and freeze yo ass off in the winter in order to get it.

Sr. Smitty and his Significant Other, Maria, who does most of the work, which is a Southern Tradition, make fantastic BBQ from the perspective of this South Alabama Redneck who believes that Carolina BBQ is superior to Bama BBQ to the point that, when he lived in Northern California, he ordered South Carolina BBQ sauce by FedEx. I don't even care for the Carolinas which I consider to be useless places.

Jerseycoa

Sep 8, 2005, 7:21 AM

Post #22 of 29 (2433 views)

Shortcut

Jose's Place in Chapala (behind the plaza, not on it) has some of the best ribs I've ever eaten. That may not be saying much, since I'm not from the South, so not an expert. Actually, I've never had a bad meal at Jose's.
Doris

dleach

Sep 10, 2005, 8:19 AM

Post #23 of 29 (2356 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerseycoa] New Restaurant

We went to the A********** Steak Restaurant in West Ajijic (trying not to say names). I gotta give it two big thumbs down. I would give it more, but 2 is all I have. My wife and I ordered the sampler platter for 2 which included two types of sausages and various cuts of beef. Here's the run-down:
  • Bread: It was served cold and stale and with no butter.
  • Salad: Iceberg Lettuce and 4 tomato slices served in a large bowl for you to share. The salad dressing was oil (no vinegar) and cracked peppercorns...absolutely no flavor. There were no choices of salad dressing, which is fine if you have a good house dressing.
  • Steak: I've had Argentinian and Brazilian steak. I have to question its origination. My wife would not eat it. It had a "wang". I was starving so I ate it anyway. No, there were no bad effects. She had the sausages which were pretty good, but not special.
  • FLIES: These we had plenty of. The restaurant needs to invest in plastic bags with water and hang them around. Our table was covered with flies. Admittedly, we were sitting outside, but it was ridiculous and I'm not finicky.

Sorry to give a bad report. They have a lot of room for improvement.

David

Bubba

Sep 10, 2005, 9:02 AM

Post #24 of 29 (2348 views)

Shortcut

OK, dleach:

Here we go with the plastic bags with water fly deterrent thing again. Just how the hell does a plastic bag of water hanging from the rafters deter flies.

1ajijic

Sep 10, 2005, 10:18 AM

Post #25 of 29 (2338 views)

Shortcut

The legend is that when the flies land on the bag and see that monster fly staring them in the face, they are frightened away?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4