Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Ransuzharriman

Aug 29, 2005, 6:43 AM

Post #1 of 8 (5636 views)

Shortcut

Forum structure

| Private Reply
You know, you can block the discussion all you want (and obviously you do), but we are in fact paying customers who, I would think, have a right to understand why the structure of this forum was changed. Did somebody ask for it? Was there a problem of some sort?

After all, one definition of forum is "A medium of open discussion or voicing of ideas." How's about we live by that definition?

If you won't post this, and my guess is you won't, how about at least the courtesy of a private reply -- and some sort of general explanation to us users?

Thanks,

Randy Harriman
San Miguel de Allende
Randy & Suzie Harriman
Austin, Texas

Don

Aug 29, 2005, 7:06 AM

Post #2 of 8 (5624 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ransuzharriman] Forum structure

| Private Reply
Yes, changes were made to the forums and they affect all. Let's face it. Changes "good or bad" will be opposed by someone. It wasn't to long ago that this was changed to a pay forum and most predicted the demise of this forum. Well, it never happened and this forum has thrived. Maybe, just maybe, David is correct again. This is David's business and I am sure he has given much thought to the changes that were made. It's time to think positive or better yet, it is time to post things about Mexico instead of trying to change his business decisions without giving them a chance.

(This post was edited by Don on Aug 29, 2005, 7:38 AM)

Marlene

Aug 29, 2005, 11:37 AM

Post #3 of 8 (5583 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don] Forum structure

| Private Reply

it is time to post things about Mexico instead of trying to change his business decisions without giving them a chance.

Exactly right. I doubt very much that anyone's Mexico questions or comments will go unanswered here (on any of the forums) so post away, all.

DavidMcL

Aug 29, 2005, 4:42 PM

Post #4 of 8 (5517 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hola!
Your question is fair and reasonable.
First, why the changes? After much consideration and review of the activities of all the area forums I made the decision to expand the area covered by each forum. Thus the combining of the Guanajuato and Michoacan forums and expansion to now include Queretaro. All the postings from both forums have been kept and are all findable through regular browsing or using the Forums' search function.
I have every expectation that the same quality and quantity of Queretaro and SMD postings will continue. Don't forget that Morelia and Michoacan also lost their forum when it joined with the Guanajuato/SMD forum.

Second, in response to your comment "After all, one definition of forum is "A medium of open discussion or voicing of ideas." How's about we live by that definition? , expanding the forums' area of coverage will expand the range of open discussion. The regular norms of not being personally degrading to someone else, of ensuring factual statements are accurate, of avoiding political statements that would invoke Mexico's laws regarding political involvement by non-national visitors or residents, these will still be used to decide whether postings should be removed. I believe the forums are, with rare exceptions, well moderated and well used by subscribers.

I do hope that you will grow to enjoy the expanded venue.

Suerte

David
David McL
WebJefe

maryanna

Aug 29, 2005, 5:49 PM

Post #5 of 8 (5499 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hi Randy,
This is my first time ever posting to any site, so please bear with me as I learn. I have been lurking here for 18 months and have to have my "fix" daily. I have learned so much here and, as a consequence of all the delightful info, my husband and I have gone back twice to SMA---we first traveled there 30 years ago! Carol Schmidt was a major reason we did so and I found her postings to be accurate, informative and always entertaining. I was extremely disappointed when the new forum structure "appeared" and I did send a PM to David. I guess it is a done deal but I think it was a mistake.
Thanks, Randy,for communicating your point of view and we'll see you in January!

Maryanna Merchant
Bethlehem, Pa.

Blackjack Davie

Aug 30, 2005, 3:27 PM

Post #6 of 8 (5449 views)

Shortcut

Re: [maryanna] Forum structure

| Private Reply
Maryanna, like you, I wonder what has happened to our Carol Schmidt....she did an excellent job as moderator of my favorite forum, SMA/Gto, and was one of our most informative posters. Any info out there as to the absence of this excellent resource? Carol, let us hear from you. David

Marta R

Aug 30, 2005, 4:19 PM

Post #7 of 8 (5432 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I'm willing to wait and see, but must say that this new structure makes it considerably harder to spot threads that interest me. Sometimes titles alone just don't convey enough information.

Marta

Brian

Aug 30, 2005, 4:21 PM

Post #8 of 8 (5430 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Blackjack Davie] Forum structure

| Private Reply

Carol's last post is dated August 22 when, in response to a request for information about changes to the forum of which she was the moderator, she wrote "..I don't have a clue, and I'd like to know, too."

For someone who dedicated so much of her time and energy to make this website a success, I think she was treated in a very shabby way.

Brian

(This post was edited by Brian on Aug 30, 2005, 4:22 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4