Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

MG Rabon

Aug 30, 2005, 7:47 AM

Post #1 of 6 (921 views)

Shortcut

Airport to the Hotel - MORELIA

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi, Earlier I had posted asking for directions to my hotel from the MLM airport.

Jennifer Rose, and others, had suggested that if I was arriving late at night I should take a taxi instead of driving the rental car.

I'd like to ask why? Is this just the usual caveat against driving in Mexico at night, or is there something specific, like a bandito roadblock I need to be aware of? I've driven all over the northern hemisphere, and I've driven in Mexico at night. I really trust my skill behind the wheel a much more than I trust some (probably unlicensed and uninsured) cab driver, PLUS my rental car will be new and have airbags. I don't know about the taxis in Morelia, but I did have the occasion to travel in them in Acapulco a few times. A trip or 2 (if you are dumb enough to go back for seconds) in one of Acapulco's rusted out vocho cabs, piloted by a hyperactive 14 year old, is enough to make you want to WALK.

While I'm unsure exactly where the airport is, once I get off the plane my GPS will let me know. My hotel is also programmed into the GPS from previous trips to Morelia. It would appear to me that I'd be taking a bigger chance of being robbed by the cab driver in the middle of the night. If there are banditos on the road, won't they stop the taxi.... or won't the taxi driver just take me directly to them?

Was this just the general caveat against driving at night in Mexico?

Compórtate bien, y si no puedes, invítame!
MG Rabon

(This post was edited by MG Rabon on Aug 30, 2005, 7:51 AM)

abq

Aug 30, 2005, 8:08 AM

Post #2 of 6 (910 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MG Rabon] Airport to the Hotel - MORELIA

I'm curous about your GPS. Does it work well in Mexico?

MG Rabon

Aug 30, 2005, 8:24 AM

Post #3 of 6 (906 views)

Shortcut

Re: [abq] Airport to the Hotel - MORELIA

Yes, We travel with a hand-held Garmin Legend that works great in Mexico. It doesn't have city street level maps, but it does have a decent set of Latin American base maps, that show all the major roads, and most towns and cities. You can make your own city street maps by driving around and recording your route.

I wouldn't leave home without it.

Compórtate bien, y si no puedes, invítame!
MG Rabon

Miguel Palomares

Aug 30, 2005, 10:17 AM

Post #4 of 6 (886 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MG Rabon] Airport to the Hotel - MORELIA

Can't Post |
The night warnings were just your standard night warnings. Sounds like you have the technology to simple teletransport yourself to the hotel.

So, just drive. There are no bandidos on the road. And, FYI, the taxi drivers here are not chilangos.
From Tzurumutaro, Michoacan, "The Village of the Darned."

The nuts and bolts of moving to Mexico:
http://michaeldickson.blogspot.com/
The dark side of living in Mexico:
http://mexicopeeks.blogspot.com/
Scintillating life in a Mexican pueblo:
http://tzurumutaro.blogspot.com/
http://tzurumutaro2.blogspot.com/

gpk

Aug 30, 2005, 10:29 AM

Post #5 of 6 (880 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don Palomares] Airport to the Hotel - MORELIA

The taxi drivers in Morelia are usually lost. I have never been to any city other than NYC where the drivers know less about how to get somewhere--I almost always have to give them directions (and I am not just talking about finding my out-of-the-way apartment). They do not know many major shopping centers, hotels or tourist attractions. Driving is probably better since you know your way.

Marta R

Aug 30, 2005, 4:21 PM

Post #6 of 6 (847 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] Airport to the Hotel - MORELIA

The cellphone has made a remarkable difference. We noticed, in June, that when the cabbie didn't know exactly how to get where we wanted to go, he simply got on the horn and called HQ, who gave him street-by-street directions.

Marta

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4