Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Bear

Aug 30, 2005, 4:48 AM

Post #1 of 16 (3490 views)

Shortcut

Querétaro es Mejor.

Can't Post | Private Reply
Those of us who follow mexconnect from Querétaro are pleased to see our city on a "Central Highlands" forum. We are in good company, i.e., cities and personalities. We look forward to the relationship.
"Querétaro es Mejor" is not my slogan invention.
Our esteemed Governor of Querétaro State, Paco Garrido, has it plastered all over our fair city, even on all municipal trucks and cars. He also has his name and picture in many papers, periodicals and
television, and for good reason. Querétaro is in the midst of a major infrastructure improvement program. The state is spending millions of pesos
in road resurfacing, sewer line upgrades and other
infrastructure improvements.
When I decided to move here, I had already decided that this city was the cleanest, and best administrated
city in all of Mexico. It appears to be just getting better. Stand by for more info in future.
www.mqro.gob.mx
www.queretaro.gob.mx
Bear

Gringal

Aug 30, 2005, 8:31 AM

Post #2 of 16 (3457 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bear] Querétaro es Mejor.

The forum changes have produced some interesting results, along with some uproar.
What I've noticed is that in this brief time of being merged, we seem to be talking to those outside our tiny ponds more often than before. The changes certainly are not getting in the way of communication.

Queretaro is a fine place. Besides, when we SMAtowners need a serious shopping fix, it's life support!

(This post was edited by Gringal on Aug 30, 2005, 8:36 AM)

TigerTonio

Aug 31, 2005, 5:49 AM

Post #3 of 16 (3395 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Querétaro es Mejor.

In our search for a potential vacation/retirement home, Querétaro came up as #2. We loved its sense of history, its sense of order, and its size which allows for a bit of everything. The nicest surprise was the close proximity of the Sierra Gorda. We're outdoors/nature freaks and that place...WOW! I plan to make another trip to Querétaro along with SMA and Guanajuato in November, just to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Bear

Aug 31, 2005, 6:55 AM

Post #4 of 16 (3375 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tony Anaya] Querétaro es Mejor.

Tony,
Good. You describe how it is here perfectly. As much as Emperador Don Palomares likes to talk about his
Lakeside 2 (with some justification), I like to alert
mexconnect readers about the modern city and State
of Querétaro.
We lived for a couple years in Edo de Mexico while we explored the Central Highlands looking for the right city to retire in.....we felt strongly it was perfect for us.....maybe others.
The old ideas that this city might be too conservative or too expensive in which to live are truly wrong.
But no one can know for sure unless they come for a look. Truly, it is the best way to learn about a city.
My family and I love it, especially now with all the planned improvements for infrastructure. Many municipalities talk about it, here they are doing it.
Come see. Bear

(This post was edited by Bear on Aug 31, 2005, 7:32 AM)

Chumley

Aug 31, 2005, 8:50 AM

Post #5 of 16 (3355 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Although, like many SMA'ers, we go to Queretaro to shop, last year we also discover Juriquilla and the wonderful restaurants overlooking the lake past the golf club. The sub-division surrounding the club reminded me somewhat of Palm Springs, and the complex of restaurants are quite good. A nice day side trip when going to or from Queretaro.

Gringal

Aug 31, 2005, 10:08 AM

Post #6 of 16 (3340 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chumley] Querétaro es Mejor.

We finally made it to Juriquilla on our last shopping trip, but arrived just before lunchtime. We strolled past the restaurants and would have had a difficult time choosing. What did you try, and how was it?

Bear

Aug 31, 2005, 5:21 PM

Post #7 of 16 (3306 views)

Shortcut

Chumley and Gringal,
While it is true that Querétaro has some of the best shopping and restaurantes in all of Mexico, I think the city can offer up some culture and art also. Perhaps, not as much as San Miguel, but a respectable variety of movie, dance, literature,
music and theatre.
Look into "Una puerta siempre abierta a la cultura"
in the cities' official web site,.i.e., www.coneculta.gob.mx/.
Check it out for a large dose of Culture and Art for the coming month of September. Bear

Bear

Aug 31, 2005, 7:40 PM

Post #8 of 16 (3282 views)

Shortcut

Also check www.centrodearteycultura.com
Bear

Chumley

Sep 1, 2005, 4:54 AM

Post #9 of 16 (3259 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Querétaro es Mejor.

Can't Post |
We tried the Mexican themed restaurant, and found some rather unusual offerings I've not seen on any other menu in SMA. There is a seafood restaurant, Puerto Buzios, that has been raved about by friends, but I recall that you, Gringal, do not like sea food. But there is also a Japanese theme restaurant there, plus a steak house, something I think you do like. And Bear, this is not to minimize the culture there in Queretaro. Many SMA'ers go to the symphony and the ballet there, and the mayors of both San Miguel and Queretaro just initiated a joint cultural program to share in the bounty.

Gringal

Sep 1, 2005, 7:07 AM

Post #10 of 16 (3244 views)

Shortcut

Hi- Thanks for the recommendations. I love seafood. Steak is fine as well as practically anything that isn't still moving on the plate that might get away from my fork! Sushi - depends.

Cultural recommendation for SMA: this weekend is the September Artists' Studio Tour sponsored by Mercado San Miguel. Opening 5-7 at Recreo 80 on Friday, Sept.2; studio tours on Saturday 10-4; information on <mercadosanmiguel.com>

simon

Sep 1, 2005, 7:27 PM

Post #11 of 16 (3205 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Hi Bear, How long have you lived in Queretaro? Just wondering if it still holds the same appeal for you now as the day you moved there. My wife and I own a home there and her family is presently living there. I'm a Gringo and she is from Queretaro. We visit almost every month. I'ts hard to go home to the States after our visit. We have seriously considered moving there in the next 4-5 years and getting out of the rat race. I look at the city and it seems to be thriving, clean, safe and the people very nice. Also, I like the fact that there is little evidence of gringos. Any idea of the number of ex-pats living in the city?

Any tips for enjoying independance day in the city? We will be down that weekend and were considering a trip to Tequisquiapan for the celebration.

Thanks,

Scott

Bear

Sep 2, 2005, 3:35 AM

Post #12 of 16 (3180 views)

Shortcut

Re: [simon] Querétaro es Mejor.

Scott,
After many visits while living near DF, a temporary residence in La Cañada, and our permanent house in Colonia Quintas Del Marques, it's been well over a year. Our relationship with Querétaro has been more like a long courtship rather than a Las Vegas quick
marriage, so the "appeal" has had less chance of wearing off.
Don Carlos Cedillo Lopez promises me an unofficial
list of downtown Independence Day celebrations next
week, so please stay tuned. I'll put it in a forum
new post.
As to expats living here, I know of 5 on mexconnect forum living here now, 2 moving in next month, and others who have shown interest. There are also lots
gringo ESL Teachers and foreign business execs all
over the city. Probably a bunch.
If you plan to spend any time in Tequisquiapan on a
holliday weekend, you probably already know how
insane the traffic can become with all the one way,
narrow, cobblestone streets. Maybe it would be better to bus in? At least head into the fray in a small car. Parking can be a monster. Bear

TigerTonio

Sep 2, 2005, 7:55 AM

Post #13 of 16 (3162 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bear] Querétaro es Mejor/Tequisquiapan

Go prepared and arrive early! Otherwise, I'd go with Bear's advice and take the bus. You're close enough from Queretaro to get an early parking spot. I visited Tequisquiapan a couple of years ago on a non-holiday weekend and went to war with a gazillion chilangos over parking spots.

If you've got a hotel reserved, you might want to check and see if they offer parking to guests. This could help ensure some peace of mind.

Once you're there, check out the market. Fabulous!

Mike McD

Sep 6, 2005, 5:20 PM

Post #14 of 16 (3059 views)

Shortcut

Re: [simon] Querétaro es Mejor.

Simon & Tom, don't forget the Cuerpo de Paz contingent in Queretaro! There's at least one volunteer there now (plus the full-time paid staff) and 12 more arriving October 1.

These newbes will be there for three months (Shelley take note) and then dispersed throughout el Bajio much to Bubba's distress (what's his problem? heh. heh, you thought I gave up huh?)

(This post was edited by Mike McD on Sep 6, 2005, 5:27 PM)

Esteban

Sep 6, 2005, 5:27 PM

Post #15 of 16 (3052 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mike McD] Querétaro es Mejor.

Hey Mike:

What's the latest news on the Peace Corps' progress in Mexico?

I'm sure we'd all like to know the progress.

Gracias,
Esteban

Mike McD

Sep 6, 2005, 5:38 PM

Post #16 of 16 (3047 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Querétaro es Mejor.

Well, funny you shoud ask. I've just entered a few posts about what's going on with the Peace Corps in Mexico (don't tell Bubba). The next wave of the Cuerpo de Paz contingent will arrive in Queretaro Ciudad on October 1 (unless they've been redirected to New Orleans). Shelley's preparing a nice room for me in the Centro Historico of Queretaro City.

Seriously, we will each be staying with a Mexican family for three months while we learn how to act like human beings. Then, ...

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4