Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bubba

Aug 29, 2005, 5:22 PM

Post #1 of 46 (4513 views)

Shortcut

On The Subject of Retirement Places

| Private Reply
For years before we retired, we considered places in which we would retire and had narrowed our choices to the south of France, Arizona, New Mexico and coastal Alabama and Florida. After exploring these places and having been disappointed for various reasons, we refocused on Highland Mexico. In our case, that could have been the Lake Chapala area or San Miguel de Allende or Cuernavaca or San Luis Potosi or Oaxaca or some such place and we chose the Lake Chapala area because it suited our needs for a number of reasons special to us and, after four years, we feel we made the right decision for us.

To each his own.

I tell you this because we had earlier focused on such beautiful gulf coast towns as Bay St. Louis. MS and Gulf Shores, AL and Grayton Beach, FL and today, the wrath of God is blowing through those places and is eating our proposed waterfront retirement homes alive as it has for a number of times since we left San Francisco in early 2001 and I will tell you this. I am sitting here on the shores of Lake Chapala in normal 75F comfort which is pretty much what one can expect every day as long as one breathes and those poor suckers in New Orleans and Mobile would sell their souls to the Devil for electricity to feed their air conditioners or even ceiling fans because they are going to be living in hell for weeks after this 'cane and there is nothing that gives me greater pleasure than watching righteous Christians try to figure out why a just God would make them suffer while a heathen like me is sucking up on mojitos in paradise.

Thank you. Jesus!

Reverend Bubba

(This post was edited by Bubba on Aug 29, 2005, 5:30 PM)

kirkswig

Aug 29, 2005, 9:53 PM

Post #2 of 46 (4449 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] On The Subject of Retirement Places

| Private Reply
People better start getting used to not having air-conditioning.

To boldly go where no wig has gone before.

MG Rabon

Aug 29, 2005, 10:08 PM

Post #3 of 46 (4441 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
We were lucky this time, I'll have to sit here and listen to the hum of my generator for a few weeks perhaps, but nothing like the images of destruction we're seeing out of New Orleans tonight. I have an aunt and a few cousins over there, no word from them yet, I sure hope they are OK.

Compórtate bien, y si no puedes, invítame!
MG Rabon

Gary Anderson

Aug 30, 2005, 1:03 AM

Post #4 of 46 (4421 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
It's about 3:00 a.m. Tuesday morning in Ajijic; I've been watching CNN and am having trouble sleeping. I see that the worst case has indeed transpired in New Orleans, as well as in numerous other places along the USA Gulf Coast. Tulane University Hospital, which serves an estimated 1000 critical-care patients right square in the middle of downtown New Orleans, is innundated and the water is rising at the rate of an inch every 5 minutes. Another downtown hospital is in the same fix. There is a two-block-long breach in the levee which protects, or used to anyway, NO from Lake Pontchatrain, and Canal Street is six feet underwater as I write this. Gulfport and Biloxi in Mississippi and several other places most of us have never even heard of have been wiped out. Mobile was hit hard, too, and who knows how many other places.

So here we are, living the good life in Mexico, and there are a few million people here and there whose lives have been devastated. Not to even mention the hundreds of thousands of people who died in SE Asia last year from the Indian Ocean tsunami.

I've never been much of a do-gooder. "Life's tough, yada, yada." But tonight for some reason as I watch this, I can't help but feel for these folks, and it seems to me that people like us, who pretty much have it made at this stage of our lives, could do something to help these people.

Any ideas?

GA

(This post was edited by Gary Anderson on Aug 30, 2005, 1:45 AM)

Uncle Jack

Aug 30, 2005, 6:16 AM

Post #5 of 46 (4386 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
"..........there is nothing that gives me greater pleasure than watching righteous Christians try to figure out why a just God would make them suffer while a heathen like me is sucking up on mojitos in paradise.

Thank you. Jesus!"

Bubba;

You have posted some outrageous thoughts in the last couple of years, but this one is really beyond the pale. If those are your true thoughts, I thank my god that I do not live in your head.

Go turn on CNN for 15 minutes and then tell us how much pleasure you are receiving.

With a statement like that, do your really thing that Jesus wants or needs your "Thanks".

uj

gypsy

Aug 30, 2005, 6:38 AM

Post #6 of 46 (4376 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Bubba...Bubba...Bubba! I usually get a kick out of reading your posts, but IMPO the attitude you express in this one...well, in a word...SUCKS.

HHERRINGTON

Aug 30, 2005, 7:20 AM

Post #7 of 46 (4350 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Very simple answer Bubba, you had more sense then to settle in a hurricane prone area.
----------------------------------------------------

Life is too complicated to be expressed in one liners.

Bubba

Aug 30, 2005, 8:56 AM

Post #8 of 46 (4322 views)

Shortcut

Re: [HHERRINGTON] On The Subject of Retirement Places

| Private Reply
When the earthquake hit us in San Francisco in the 1980s, a friend of mine who lives on Mobile Bay and is a righteous Christian informed me that God was punishing San Francisco because of all the gay people living there. Logically then, it would appear all those gay people moved to Biloxi.

By the way, I am a native of that region and my wife and I lived our first year in a home fronting Mobile Bay that was obliterated without a trace by Hurricane Frederick in 1979 so we feel free to make fun of those Southern Bible Belters with their religious hypocrisy any time we please.

For the record, I feel sorry for the people who were hurt. Bay St' Louis, MS was a place we strongly considered and there but for the grace of God go we.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Aug 30, 2005, 9:07 AM)

dtracy8671

Aug 30, 2005, 9:51 AM

Post #9 of 46 (4300 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Being from Encino, CA, and having lived in Montana, I know what earthquakes (went through them all) and volcanos (St. Helens) can do. It is only a matter of time before Lakeside will have their earthquake or volcano eruption, so I don't think I would be talking too much karma, here: "What goes around, comes around." With that said, we still have opted to move to Lakeside for the retirement years. My husband wanted to go to one of the southern states and I politely said, "And, what? Rebuild our lives every 2-3 years!" No way! I remember when we went to Bisbee, AZ and toured the museum there....the town was originally built in a "gully" and washed away everytime a major rain came. I said, who builds a town in gully? Well, who builds a complete city in a bowl below sea level and thinks they can out wit mother nature? It was only a matter of time. I pray the people can recover and logically think about relocating to a little safer area - if there is such a thing.

sfmacaws

Aug 30, 2005, 12:45 PM

Post #10 of 46 (4248 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I imagine those Christian extremists will say that God was smoting New Orleans for its sinful ways, he just doesn't aim well and hit all those righteous Christians in Mobile and Biloxi as well.

I'm not making light of the suffering and I'm sure you are not either Bubba, I was going to ask if you still had family there. Even if you don't, it's tough to see places you know well get demolished.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Bubba

Aug 30, 2005, 1:26 PM

Post #11 of 46 (4230 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] On The Subject of Retirement Places

| Private Reply
Jonna:

I have many family members and friends along the gulf coast from the Florida panhandle to New Orleans and I wish most of them no ill. There are a couple of them i'd slap side the head.

The point of my post that started this was missed because I cannot post comments without commenting on human ignorance and hypocrisy. I presume you were in or near San Francisco during that dreadful earthquake in the 1980s which scared the living hell out of me. Those of you who have not seen the earth undulate wildly and thought you were about to be swallowed up in the void cannot imagine how scary that is and they ain't no warning. At least the people on the gulf coast had an opportunity to flee and those who were able bodied and didn't flee kissed their own asses goodbye. When that earthquake hit me in the San Francisco area I was given no warning whatsoever. After the quake San Francisco became a nightmarish and lawless place with no lights and I still managed to make it the 65 miles to my hilltop apartment through lawless streets where I proceeded to watch the Marina District burn and it was a vision of hell and then I had my idiot Christian "friend" blame my situation on the presumed sexual proclivities of certain residents of the city of which he personally disapproved and I will tell you this. You will not get through this life alive whether you go out by hurricane or earthquake or heart attack and if God spared New Orleans and struck Mississippi instead its because God knew that his/her righteous folk needed to get some place within a few hours of Tupelo to let off steam after pretending to be pious for several months and then imagine them finding Rev. Swaggart banging the whore next to them down in that hotel in the French Quarter and that observation alone earned them 10 more years in purgatory.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Aug 30, 2005, 1:32 PM)

Bubba

Aug 30, 2005, 1:55 PM

Post #12 of 46 (4218 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I'm afraid that much of the reason for my original post has been lost here. My point had to do with future expectations. I had a natural bias toward retiring on the Alabama or Florida gulf coasts because I am a native of that region, more specifically the area around Mobile. Here is what I was trying to say. When you retire, you will, over time, become less amenable to unpleasant changes in the climate. Let's say you are in your 50s or 60s when you retire and still fairly vigorous. You must assume that there is the possibilty that you will live to be in your 80s before expiration time. As you get older, relocation and unpleasant weather become less and less appealing to you.

Think about this.

August and September are extremely unpleasant times of year along the gulf coast of the United States. It is unrelentingly hot and humid with grey skies and you will be dependent on your air conditioner for personal comfort. You cannot look for a break in the weather until the latter part of October at best. So you have this hurricane in the latter part of August and your home is not badly damaged but you are without power for weeks and this is what you don't hear about. You will be sweating your butt off for weeks and I can tell you this will be a bad experience. When you are in your 80s this will kill you or, perhaps you will kill yourself.

Retire in the tropical highlands of Latin America. I kid you not.

Gringal

Aug 30, 2005, 2:06 PM

Post #13 of 46 (4213 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Whether you are God-fearing or not, there sure is one Helluva disconnect in the brain of anyone on this earth who presumes to second-guess the powers that be (or not) and set themselves to judge who does or doesn't deserve the wrath of whatever upon their heads for just being people who happen to be in the wrong place or time for any number of reasons. That mentality belongs in the same club with those who start crusades against the infidel and shout that "God (or Allah) is on their side". Now, will both football teams please bow their heads in prayer for victory.

It's a wise idea to think about how disaster-prone an area may be before retiring there, but no matter what we do, there's the "joss" factor. One little meteorite can ruin your whole day. Meanwhile, I agree with Bubba completely that an ideal retirement zone (as in the Central Highlands here) is one in which you will neither expire of the heat without air conditioning or die of the cold in the winter if the power goes down.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Aug 30, 2005, 2:22 PM)

juan david

Aug 30, 2005, 2:09 PM

Post #14 of 46 (4210 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
This is simply the best and most entertaining thread I've seen here in more than a year. Everyone was at there most inspired! Me...i'm so out of touch that I didn't even know until yesterday that the hurricane was happening. Maybe I otta turn on the tube some time.
" let sleeping dogs lie"

Bubba

Aug 30, 2005, 2:31 PM

Post #15 of 46 (4194 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] On The Subject of Retirement Places

| Private Reply
I like that Gringal;

You remind me of John O'Hara's Appointment in Samarra where the servant of a Baghdad merchant flees the city for Samarra to escape the evil eye of Death he has just spotted in the market in Bahgdad and, later, after the servant has fled, the merchant sees Death in the Bahgdad market and expresses surprise and asks Death why he threatened the servant at which point Death tells the merchant, "I wasn't threatening him, I was simply surprised to see him since I have an appointment with him tonight in Samarra."

If you think about it, where you retire has nothing to do with escaping your fate. But as long as you are here, you might as well make the time before the passage as pleasant as possible. Otherwise, why not just retire in Dubuque.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Aug 30, 2005, 2:35 PM)

sfmacaws

Aug 30, 2005, 2:51 PM

Post #16 of 46 (4184 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I spotted my favorite quote of this whole hurricane coverage yesterday. Aaron Broussard who is the president of the Jefferson Parish (suburbs of NO) council said "A lot of these die hards that won't evacuate, are prolly gonna die hard!"

On the disaster scale, I also give preference to ones that give you a warning. I've been in all the major Calif earthquakes in the last 6 decades except Northridge. Everything changes in the second when it starts to shake. You also get to wonder during the first few seconds of the minor ones if it is going to be a big one. At least they knew this was going to be a big one. The stupid part is that they also have known for a long time that there would be a big one and yet, from the looks of the news reports, in NO they were not even close to being prepared.

As to retirement locations, I'm not fond of the idea that I will have to settle down one of these days but it is a reality. It must be illegal or immoral or something just driving around wherever we want and having all this fun. So, I too am always looking for a spot where I could enjoy spending most of my time. It's a trade off always, either it is too hot or too cold for several months a year or it is too isolated or too urban or too boring. I feel like Goldilocks. I do know this place will probably be in Mexico, although if Panama were closer and more convenient it would be in the running.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Esteban

Aug 30, 2005, 2:54 PM

Post #17 of 46 (4181 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
On the highlands, you have to worry about watcha gonna do when the big volcano blows or, as you say, when the meteor hits. I guess you might say, there is no worry if it all comes down, because electricity will be the least of your worries, that is, if worries will even be something to think about.

Here in Mazatlan, when the electricity goes out, we always have a short time when ice can be delivered, put in our tinacos and used the opposite of a hot tub. The biggest worry here is, of course, the odd hurricane and tidal surge. Being a member of the "Church of Latter Day Surf", we reccommend ALWAYS having a surfboard or bodyboard ready for the big wave. Our stone tablets say the ones prepared, will ride to the new surf city. We are looking between here and Durango for what may be, ocean front property when the big one comes.

I can relate to Bubba's story because when I was living outside Seattle, in 1996, Gary Locke, a Chinese American, was running for governor against Ellen Craswell. She had the audacity to say that AIDS was God's curse against the gays. Well, thank GOD she lost the race. Later on she developed a serious case of cancer. I always wondered what God was telling her.

Gringal

Aug 30, 2005, 3:16 PM

Post #18 of 46 (4169 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Love that story. How about Bergman's "Seventh Seal" too?

You brought up still another retirement question: Would you be shortening your days by retiring to Dubuque since you'd probably die of boredom? I once had an honest job working for the Guv'ment at the Social Security Administration. I lasted five years. During that confinement I amused myself by compiling a bit of statistical trivia as the applications for retirement benefits crossed my desk. After a while, the rest of my unit got into it, too. How soon did the widow come in to apply after the guy retired? Answer: If the man had a gold-watch and out-the-door job, he usually died within eighteen months. Self-employed types who kept on working lasted much longer. Those with the greatest longevity were self-employed fishermen and artists. Go figure. Bait your brush and head for the boat. 'Course, politicians don't do badly either.

Gringal

Aug 30, 2005, 3:24 PM

Post #19 of 46 (4163 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] On The Subject of Retirement Places

| Private Reply
If her cancer was the commonest one, God was telling her that she was one of every seven women in the United States. That's the only qualification needed - saints and sinners get equal treatment there.

I do get your point, though. Finger-pointing is a dangerous way to tempt Fate. Doesn't seem to take long to see it come around, one way or the other. It also seems like the taller the soap box, the harder the scrunch.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Aug 30, 2005, 3:25 PM)

Miguel Palomares

Aug 30, 2005, 3:41 PM

Post #20 of 46 (4150 views)

Shortcut

|
Gringal opines:

Those with the greatest longevity were self-employed fishermen and artists.

I am a half-assed artist but no fisherman (for souls or otherwise), have been retired for almost six years. If I had not retired, I might have died. Now, I have no plans for ever doing so.

Dying, that is.

I lived in New Orleans for 18 years. Arrived in January of 1965. Hurricane Betsy arrived in August of the same year. I had never been in a hurricane, and Betsy was a baddie. Speaking of religious experiences, a Category 3 storm like Betsy is a very scary experience. My father stupidly left his car parked on the street. None of us knew hurricanes. The car had what appeared to be bullet holes in it the next day. Flying stones. Katrina (the Mexican skeletal figure. Has anyone thought of that?) was a Category 4.

People who have never been in the middle of a bad hurricane do not know what it is like. The pictures you always see on the TV do not approach the real experience because in the middle of the worst part nobody but a complete idiot would be out with a camera or even near a window. It is surreal. I do not think the real thing has ever been seen by anyone not directly in it.

Life be better in Mexico.

From Tzurumutaro, Michoacan, "The Village of the Darned."

The nuts and bolts of moving to Mexico:
http://michaeldickson.blogspot.com/
The dark side of living in Mexico:
http://mexicopeeks.blogspot.com/
Scintillating life in a Mexican pueblo:
http://tzurumutaro.blogspot.com/
http://tzurumutaro2.blogspot.com/

Gringal

Aug 30, 2005, 4:05 PM

Post #21 of 46 (4134 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don Palomares] On The Subject of Retirement Places

| Private Reply
Is a half-assed artist one who was fool enough to open a gallery and lose the other half?

There is no TV coverage that can begin to equal "being there" in one of mother nature's tantrums. Serious earthquakes are another one, since there's absolutely no place to hide. As for TV coverage of disasters, just about the time the most spectacular scenes are in progress, any newsperson with the slightest sense of self-preservation is outta there!

Oh, and happy 39th or.....

(This post was edited by Gringal on Aug 30, 2005, 4:11 PM)

Marta R

Aug 30, 2005, 4:15 PM

Post #22 of 46 (4127 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] On The Subject of Retirement Places

| Private Reply
There's a striking similarity between riding a big quake and riding a surfboard, come to think of it...

What continues to amaze me is that people knowingly move to places where hurricanes and tornadoes happen with convincing regularity. Sure, quakes are unnerving but they pretty much happen at random -- at least, as far as we can currently tell. And most of them are boringly tame. If you've ever stood on Park Avenue, Manhattan, and felt a subway train rumble by underfoot, you know what a typical quake feels like.

But Florida and the Gulf Coast, people. Honestly. Those hurricanes just line up and whap whap whap -- and you gotta know they're coming. Kansas etc. and tornadoes, you can make book on them hustling by with some frequency. Why do people insist on living there?

A friend, this morning, suggested a good hurricane prevention technique: citizens of Southern states should form a line around the state border, lift their faces toward the heaven, and repeat simultaneously, "We like liberals. Honest, we really like liberals, we're even going to vote liberal next time. Promise. Truly. We do."

Marta

Esteban

Aug 30, 2005, 4:37 PM

Post #23 of 46 (4112 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marta Randall] On The Subject of Retirement Places

| Private Reply
Actually, the history of malevolent hurricanes in the Mazatlan area is very sparce. We happen to be located geographically, in a place that doesn't have a history of a lot of natural disasters. If you choose to live on or near the ocean, I suppose you always have that chance of some kind of tidal surge that will take out half the city. I've taken that into consideration and live at least 100 feet straight up from sea level.

When we see that ocean recede, in one swell foop, out towards the islands, I don't care if I did just order a balde of Pacifico, we are outta here, up to the departamento and putting on our fins. Like I said, hopefully, we'll have that new land near Durango where the new "surf city" will be located. There is no place on earth that can't be devasted in a few seconds by something man made or even made by mother nature.

Mazatlan, after much research, is a very safe situation compared to many parts of the world. I didn't get your story about praying to liberals but I do feel that praying in general is a waste of time. You're better off eating good food and exercising and as I proselytize, being ready for the big one, especially those living near the ocean, by ALWAYS having that surfboard ready to ride the big one to the new surf city.

Cowabunga Groms

roni_smith

Aug 30, 2005, 7:57 PM

Post #24 of 46 (4053 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marta Randall] On The Subject of Retirement Places

| Private Reply
I have read the stories from friends and acquaintances who rode out Emily in Playa del Carmen and other places on the Caribbean coast. They are now thinking they were very lucky. I have enjoyed my time on the Caribbean coast, and today I am thinking it is a nice place to live from November through April.

I am hoping that may of the residents of the US gulf coast will take their insurance money - those who owned houses - and choose to move. But many of them love the area and will rebuild. I saw that happen 3 times in 20 some years in the flood plains of the Mississippi river.
------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

Kip

Aug 31, 2005, 5:35 AM

Post #25 of 46 (4005 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roni_smith] On The Subject of Retirement Places

| Private Reply
One of the problems will be that a whole lot of them won't be around to collect any insurance money. So many who rode out the storm in New Orleans, didn't do it by choice...or really even live there by choice. That's where they're from. They had little, and now they have nothing... a lot of them, not even their lives.
kip
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4